Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, so unfortunately for some of us, the temperatures and weather is starting to decline and snow is right around the corner. Cold, slippery, white-stuff everywhere !

What kind of tires will you guys be running ?
OEM wheels, Aftermarket, Steelies ?
Do you just live a great life in a warm country ?! (I envy you)

I'll be sticking to OEM wheels and searching out a set of full winter tires. I've ran Yokohama Ice Guards before and they sufficed. Got the job done and they're decently priced if you search around. I never find any comfort in winter tires in general so I don't even worry about that but they weren't that noisy.

Lets hear it !

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey

Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Have Michilin X ice on the stock wheels and run aftermarket wheels and tires in the summer. Sold the oem tires with 7 km on them.

Aaron

·
Registered
68 Posts
Doesn't snow here in Vegas, but I do need to research on good tires for this time of year anyway. Going through the freeway and around the spaghetti bowl, i've noticed it can get quite icy and slippery.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey

Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Have Michilin X ice on the stock wheels and run aftermarket wheels and tires in the summer. Sold the oem tires with 7 km on them.

Aaron
I've heard about the X-Ice but I have never ran them before. How are they in terms of comfort ??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey

They seem good. Not as stiff as my summer tires as expected, but decent grip on snow and ice. Not load either.

Thanks

Aaron

·
Registered
168 Posts
i have some wheels i got from a guy on craigslist for 100 bucks and imperial S210 tires that were 300 mounted. will be my second season on them but first season on this car. Had it on my SC400 last year and ripped through snow like a tank. was passing subarus and Jeeps without a problem.

·
Registered
661 Posts
i have some wheels i got from a guy on craigslist for 100 bucks and imperial S210 tires that were 300 mounted. will be my second season on them but first season on this car. Had it on my SC400 last year and ripped through snow like a tank. was passing subarus and Jeeps without a problem.
What helps with those cars you had was weight, the SC is a heavy coupe and i'm talking from experience. Used to have a 92 SC400 on a set of Bridestone Blizzaks and it took me through the worst of winters. Was flying by AWD Subaru's on winters like it was nothing... all in a heavy RWD luxury coupe.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The SC400 was definitely a beast through the winter. Loved that thing. The traction system in that was amazing as well, unlike a lot of other cars where the traction system aids you in getting stuck lmao. The ride was always real comfy too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What helps with those cars you had was weight, the SC is a heavy coupe and i'm talking from experience. Used to have a 92 SC400 on a set of Bridestone Blizzaks and it took me through the worst of winters. Was flying by AWD Subaru's on winters like it was nothing... all in a heavy RWD luxury coupe.
yep 600lbs more than the iM lol

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope the picture worked. Was having trouble loading it.
Picture worked :D

But that is a very nice winter setup. Something like that is always my ideal option if I could at the time. And then you can always re-sell them in the summer and grab another cheap set of aftermarket wheels. Can never go wrong !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know if 16X6.5 steelies from a 2011 Camry would fit? same bolt pattern and centre bore however I'm not quite sure if 6.5 is enough to clear the front caliper...The joys of living in Canada.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone know if 16X6.5 steelies from a 2011 Camry would fit? same bolt pattern and centre bore however I'm not quite sure if 6.5 is enough to clear the front caliper...The joys of living in Canada.
Are the offsets the same ??

·
Registered
661 Posts
yep 600lbs more than the iM lol
Thought it was more. Ah well. At the end of the day it comes down to having winter tires and knowing how to drive in those conditions. Sadly most people never get that far in thinking about winter driving, at most its tires, but the approach to driving remains the same.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They are close: 45 mm for the 07-11 Camry Wheels, 50 mm for the stock iM wheels. I have some of the Camry wheels coming Tuesday and I will let folks know if the calipers clear.
Hmm let's hope for the best

Please keep us updated ! :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
At least there's no harm in going with a winter wheel/tire setup that's bigger in diameter than OEM because if your looking around for used sets that might be something you come across, just as long as it's not too big to the point there's not enough space in the wheel well.

Usually it's width that matters from what I noticed reported by a lot of sources and in that case if you go a bit more narrow than stock it will help you cut through the snow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts