Scion iM Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
92 SC400, was running strong with 255k miles. That V8 was a tank. got tired of getting 22mpg since i commute a while and spending money to maintain it. i'd rather do mods than change every single rusty suspension component.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was thinking about this very thing a couple of weeks ago.
Here is my list starting from 1968 (Junior in High School)

1960 Chevy Apache 10 Pickup 99,000 Miles
1964 Chevy Impalla 85,000 Miles
1972 Ford Pinto Station Wagon 136,000 Miles
1965 Ford Ranchero 270,00 Miles
1990 Chevy Beretta GTZ 90,000 Miles
1995 S10 Blazer 78,000 Miles
1997 Chevy 2500 Lite Duty Pickup 35,000 Miles
2001 Chevy 2500HD Pickup 30,000 Miles
2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo 7,100 Miles
2004 Volkswagen GTI VR6 7,800 Miles
2004 Saturn View 40,000 Miles
2004 Ford Ranger Pickup 30,00 Miles
2004 Scion xA 179,000 Miles
2006 Jeep Wrangler 36,000
2008 Toyota 4Runner V8 47,000 Miles (still own)
2010 Subaru Impreza 37,000
2011 Honda Fit 12,000
2014 Scion XB 11,000
2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road 6,500 Miles (still own)
2016 Scion iM Electric Storm Blue CVT 2,700 Miles (still own)
2016 Scion iM Blizzard Pearl 6 Speed manual 3,020 Miles (still own)
That comes up with 21 vehicles in 48 years not counting 2 travel trailers and a $113,000 motor home that I had for 11 years.

CAD-Man

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello fellow iM peeps,

Coming from a 2007 Honda Fit, I can't say the iM is as a fun to drive car and if they didn't manufacture new manual transmission Honda Fits in Mexico I wouldn't be posting on this forum now. To me, the iM is a slow car that feels slow, while the Honda Fit is a slow car that feels fast. Despite the uninspiring driving experience, I appreciate the iM's build quality, smoother ride and quieter in cabin noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just sold my 2015 WRX to save money on my monthly expenses. Before the 15' WRX I had a 2002 WRX, and before that a 1995 Impreza wagon with a JDM STI swap. Before the wagon I owned a 1991 M5 and before that it was an Integra Type R. The iM is my first slow car in quite a while...
Oh man, you had an Integra Type R? They were rare then and are super rare now. Yea, these iM's feel really slow, I wonder what kind of performance mods are out there that can give it a little more pep.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I was thinking about this very thing a couple of weeks ago.
Here is my list starting from 1968 (Junior in High School)

1960 Chevy Apache 10 Pickup 99,000 Miles
1964 Chevy Impalla 85,000 Miles
1972 Ford Pinto Station Wagon 136,000 Miles
1965 Ford Ranchero 270,00 Miles
1990 Chevy Beretta GTZ 90,000 Miles
1995 S10 Blazer 78,000 Miles
1997 Chevy 2500 Lite Duty Pickup 35,000 Miles
2001 Chevy 2500HD Pickup 30,000 Miles
2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo 7,100 Miles
2004 Volkswagen GTI VR6 7,800 Miles
2004 Saturn View 40,000 Miles
2004 Ford Ranger Pickup 30,00 Miles
2004 Scion xA 179,000 Miles
2006 Jeep Wrangler 36,000
2008 Toyota 4Runner V8 47,000 Miles (still own)
2010 Subaru Impreza 37,000
2011 Honda Fit 12,000
2014 Scion XB 11,000
2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road 6,500 Miles (still own)
2016 Scion iM Electric Storm Blue CVT 2,700 Miles (still own)
2016 Scion iM Blizzard Pearl 6 Speed manual 3,020 Miles (still own)
That comes up with 21 vehicles in 48 years not counting 2 travel trailers and a $113,000 motor home that I had for 11 years.

CAD-Man
WOW, you go through a lot of cars.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hello fellow iM peeps,

Coming from a 2007 Honda Fit, I can't say the iM is as a fun to drive car and if they didn't manufacture new manual transmission Honda Fits in Mexico I wouldn't be posting on this forum now. To me, the iM is a slow car that feels slow, while the Honda Fit is a slow car that feels fast. Despite the uninspiring driving experience, I appreciate the iM's build quality, smoother ride and quieter in cabin noise.
Funny. I tried the current Fit and found it a completely boring car. The iM on the other hand, has been a lot of fun to drive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
WOW, you go through a lot of cars.
Yea and whats funny is I have several of those cars over 10 years. For a 5 1/2 year period I was averaging close to 40,000 miles a year just going to and from work, 150 mile round trip commute a day. Right now I won 4 vehicles with only 2 drivers. The Scions are used every day. The pickup is used for hauling stuff for the yard, horses etc, the 4Runner we really don't need but it only costs me a little over $400 a year to keep it plus it's very low milage for the year and I would never get out of it what it is worth because of the low milage. Again every thing is paid for except for My iM and the payments is only $93 a month. These will be the last cars I will ever own getting to old to buy any more.

CAD-Man

·
Registered
12 Posts

Finally traded in my '07 V6 Mustang. Loved the car to death, but after 100k miles it started turning into a money pit. It finally all but dumped the transmission on the drive home a little over 120k miles, and I opted to trade up to something a bit more reliable. Blast to drive, not so much to fill up...

Before you ask, yes that is a roof rack. I've hauled bikes, kayaks, and even a small couch with my trusty Yakima. Did it look goofy on a "muscle car?" Yep. Did I get lots of stares in traffic? Yep. Did it make me giggle every time? YEP. Part of the reason I went with the iM was that sweet hatchback roominess for camping gear!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

Finally traded in my '07 V6 Mustang. Loved the car to death, but after 100k miles it started turning into a money pit. It finally all but dumped the transmission on the drive home a little over 120k miles, and I opted to trade up to something a bit more reliable. Blast to drive, not so much to fill up...

Before you ask, yes that is a roof rack. I've hauled bikes, kayaks, and even a small couch with my trusty Yakima. Did it look goofy on a "muscle car?" Yep. Did I get lots of stares in traffic? Yep. Did it make me giggle every time? YEP. Part of the reason I went with the iM was that sweet hatchback roominess for camping gear!

I know the feeling of loving a car that keeps breaking down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sucks doesn't it? I had just put new ties on it too and the transmission comes-from-together. That was the last straw for me, I decided I wanted something I wasn't going to have to keep pouring money into. I've been really impressed with my parent's 4runner and my brother's FJ and their reliability, I decided to jump the gun on a 'yota. Plus they cut me a **** of a deal because he couldn't move the "bright-ass green one."

·
Registered
2 Posts
The car I traded in for this IM was an IQ. After 5 years I was feeling a bit cramped. Back in the day (don't you love that phrase from an old guy) I drove a 62 Corvette, 68 Dodge Dart big block, 66 Barracuda and the ultimate car my 69 1/2 Dodge Charger Daytona. We still have an 09 Nissan Cube for the grocery geter.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The car I traded in for this IM was an IQ. After 5 years I was feeling a bit cramped. Back in the day (don't you love that phrase from an old guy) I drove a 62 Corvette, 68 Dodge Dart big block, 66 Barracuda and the ultimate car my 69 1/2 Dodge Charger Daytona. We still have an 09 Nissan Cube for the grocery geter.
What a change from your muscle cars to an IQ.;)

·
Registered
274 Posts

I recently drove 2016 Mustang GT 6MT. It had a premium package, Mach audio system (which sounds great BTW) and some other bells and whistles. Well, I totally hated it. Transmission gears were super tight and super short-throw, I could not pick a proper gear while shifting. Visibility is terrible, especially blind spots on the sides. Seating position is weird, like you are about to lie down. Mustang feels like a truck, heavy, raw and hard to steer. Interior plastic is screaming cheap (despite the fact that new Edge and Escape have very decent interior quality). The worst thing? Seat belt just kept rubbing my neck! No matter how much I tried to adjust my seating position. But to be fare 2016 Scion tC also had the same rubbing neck seat belt issue.

So iM is not fast and does not look like a muscle car, but it has a minivan-like seating position up front (which is great), interior quality is wonderful for its class and its price. It steers really well, corners really well, visibility is great (rear window is debatable, but I find it sufficient). iM is fuel efficient, super reliable and will hold its resale value. So you absolutely made a right choice. I am not trying to offend anyone, I am just sharing my experience.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I recently drove 2016 Mustang GT 6MT. It had a premium package, Mach audio system (which sounds great BTW) and some other bells and whistles. Well, I totally hated it. Transmission gears were super tight and super short-throw, I could not pick a proper gear while shifting. Visibility is terrible, especially blind spots on the sides. Seating position is weird, like you are about to lie down. Mustang feels like a truck, heavy, raw and hard to steer. Interior plastic is screaming cheap (despite the fact that new Edge and Escape have very decent interior quality). The worst thing? Seat belt just kept rubbing my neck! No matter how much I tried to adjust my seating position. But to be fare 2016 Scion tC also had the same rubbing neck seat belt issue.

So iM is not fast and does not look like a muscle car, but it has a minivan-like seating position up front (which is great), interior quality is wonderful for its class and its price. It steers really well, corners really well, visibility is great (rear window is debatable, but I find it sufficient). iM is fuel efficient, super reliable and will hold its resale value. So you absolutely made a right choice. I am not trying to offend anyone, I am just sharing my experience.
And that is why there are so many different choices.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys my name's Parker. First time poster here ( first time new car buyer and stealership victim aswell)

I traded up from my 2005 Land Rover LR3 with 111,000 miles on it (21k of them done in 8 months) to a 90-mile 2016 SpringGreen Scion iM.
I'll miss off roading dearly but I will not miss gas station visits.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey guys my name's Parker. First time poster here ( first time new car buyer and stealership victim aswell)

I traded up from my 2005 Land Rover LR3 with 111,000 miles on it (21k of them done in 8 months) to a 90-mile 2016 SpringGreen Scion iM.
How about maintenance expenses? Toyota is super cheap to maintain. But wow... That's a major downsize.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

Welcome.

What a size difference

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome.

What a size difference
Thanks man, and yeah, I do kinda miss being above the headlights (speaking off, mine are terrible, what can I use to replace them?) but I like the feeling of being low through corners.

How about maintenance expenses? Toyota is super cheap to maintain. But wow... That's a major downsize.
Oh yeah, and I look forward to the free oil changes for life from the stealership. :p And it is a downsize, but this is a great community and I look forward to meeting you all.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks man, and yeah, I do kinda miss being above the headlights (speaking off, mine are terrible, what can I use to replace them?) but I like the feeling of being low through corners.

Oh yeah, and I look forward to the free oil changes for life from the stealership. :p And it is a downsize, but this is a great community and I look forward to meeting you all.
Meeting as in real life? Eh, I guess we could organize a little iM meetup, like those big boys do with their BMW's and Porsche's :)

61 - 80 of 101 Posts