Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand some iM owners use the larger Fram 7317 oil filter instead of the factory sized Fram 4967. Is there really an advantage to this?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Interesting. Looking at Fram's website for mine, it only lists 10358, which is what I'm calling the cartridge.

For the 2017 Corolla IM, it lists both the 10358 and the 4967 - which is a spin on.

Knowing how mine is, don't see how a spin on would work, so curious what changes they made. Any pics from when you changed them?

I've done the same with other vehicles. As long as the thread pitch matches, the diameters are correct so it seals, and they have similar backflow and such - should be good. Get a little more oil capacity and potentially better filtration with the extra media for to flow through.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Interesting. Looking at Fram's website for mine, it only lists 10358, which is what I'm calling the cartridge.

For the 2017 Corolla IM, it lists both the 10358 and the 4967 - which is a spin on.

Knowing how mine is, don't see how a spin on would work, so curious what changes they made. Any pics from when you changed them?

I've done the same with other vehicles. As long as the thread pitch matches, the diameters are correct so it seals, and they have similar backflow and such - should be good. Get a little more oil capacity and potentially better filtration with the extra media for to flow through.
2016 Scions had the push on style. 2017 they started changing to the spin on. Some 2017's have the push on, sone 2017's have the spin on.

By 2018 they should all have been the spin on type. Best bet is to just look.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would never use a Fram filter, what a POS. I use the longer Toyota filter on my 17 iM. The longer filter fits every car I have that calls for the short filter. On top of that the OEM filters cost less than a POS Fram.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fram filters are garbage quality as MR2 says. Either get OEM or a good brand like K&N.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.