Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Headlights are a tricky thing to develop as you want to illuminate as much of the road as possible without blinding oncoming drivers. Toyota has developed a system that that balances these two factors.

Toyota's new LED Array Adaptive High Beam System uses multiple independently controlled LEDs arranged in a single horizontal line to give a wide range of illumination. A front view camera monitors the road and can dim or brighten each LED light allowing for gaps in the illuminated area.

The system not only adapts to oncoming and preceding vehicles, it also will adapt to circumstances such as a wide beam for slow urban driving and a long, narrower beam for highway driving.

I doubt we will get this on the Scion iM, but it will make an appearance on some Toyota vehicles in 2015.

·
Registered
159 Posts
and likely not in North America. Our regulations seem to have a problem with auto dimming headlamps, I beleive both Adi and BMW have had their applications for new headlights turned down because of exactly that (or something similar)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and likely not in North America. Our regulations seem to have a problem with auto dimming headlamps, I beleive both Adi and BMW have had their applications for new headlights turned down because of exactly that (or something similar)
Oh really? That surprises me considering that these headlights were developed to make people more safe. What exactly do they have a problem with>?

·
Registered
363 Posts
also making it adaptive to turning would be great, but that might be asking for too much and could take away from what they do with Lexus models, but it sure would add more perks to owning a Scion. Little win.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also making it adaptive to turning would be great, but that might be asking for too much and could take away from what they do with Lexus models, but it sure would add more perks to owning a Scion. Little win.
They are rolling out this technology on a lot of their vehicles but I don't know if Scion is going to be one of the first properties to get it in Toyota's portfolio.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Um, Lexus...
Of course it makes sense for Lexus to get this technology, but they are putting it in Toyota vehicles too, which makes me think that it could easily be placed in Scion vehicles fairly quickly. I don't think they want to make it a luxury feature since it is entirely about safety.

·
Registered
661 Posts
pricing is another thing to consider when it comes to this stuff,

so if they want to be even more competitive and lower pricing and cut back on things in order to do this, leaving this out might help

·
Registered
363 Posts
Of course it makes sense for Lexus to get this technology, but they are putting it in Toyota vehicles too, which makes me think that it could easily be placed in Scion vehicles fairly quickly. I don't think they want to make it a luxury feature since it is entirely about safety.
putting it in scions and more toyota's also makes it less special, something to consider.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well then why does Audi not offer laser lights on VW and SEAT vehicles when their technology was developed for 'safety'?

Cost of development does not occur in a vacuum. If the headlamps alone constitute say 10% of content cost vs 2% cost in a more expensive vehicle it makes little sense to equip the cheaper vehicle and eat into already sliced thin margins at the lower end of the spectrum.

Besides, the guise of safety is often used to pander to primal drivers in consumers. Protection one, absolutely, but far more sinisterly is affection. This technology means I CARE... But I digress, this comes down to primarily cost and the audience who will get most hard about X option...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know that profit reigns king, but I just hope that companies care enough about safety to roll out the technology across the lineup and make people a little safer. I guess I am just an idealist.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts