Scion iM Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
New to the forum, after 10 days of ownership spent $2000 on upgrades. So heres the fitment upgrades.

Wheels: 18x8 5x114.3/5x100 +38 (Brand not given I don't want others with same rims lol)

Tires: 225/40ZR18 Radar Dimax AS-8 92W XL m+s treadwear 600, traction a, temperature a.

Springs: Manzo (made by Megan) lowering springs for a Tc2. Supposed to be 1.4 inches front and back for a tc2. Ended up lowering my IM 5mm (0.2in) front and 40mm (1.57in) rear.
Glad you like them, they look huge to me and too big for my taste. I personally love the OEM wheels I'm not too concerned at looking at new wheels. I might upgrade the tires though as I would like some extra grip. I've never even heard of the tires you bought. I have some Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S 3 tires on my Corolla and they are amazing and are top rated by many reports and comparisons.
Thanks. My rule of thumb is to change the stock wheels no matter how nice they look. I dont want to have the same wheels as tens of thousands of people. Since these cars are slow, the best we can do to make them stand out is do tasteful mods in handling and appearance. Keeping stock rims, IMO are better for the sports cars or luxury cars. Our cars are economy cars than can be driven for fun during commute if it handles well. I bought this for my commute of 33k mi a year, so I know what the car is and isnt. The tires I got are made by Omni, they are starting off like Kuhmo did. The tires handled way better than the stock Toyo Proxes. Sometimes its not about the brand but looking at the specs of the tire. These are XL tires meaning they are reinforced more for lowered and performance cars, give better road feedback, provide extra traction, and allow heavier loads in the car, higher speed ratings, and more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
New to the forum, after 10 days of ownership spent $2000 on upgrades. So heres the fitment upgrades.

Wheels: 18x8 5x114.3/5x100 +38 (Brand not given I don't want others with same rims lol)

Tires: 225/40ZR18 Radar Dimax AS-8 92W XL m+s treadwear 600, traction a, temperature a.

Springs: Manzo (made by Megan) lowering springs for a Tc2. Supposed to be 1.4 inches front and back for a tc2. Ended up lowering my IM 5mm (0.2in) front and 40mm (1.57in) rear.
Wheel design looks pretty good, but I can't say I 'm a fan of 18" wheels on vehicles this size. It starts looking cartoonish - at least to me. The C-HR has the same issue - those big 18" wheels on that little vehicle make it look like a clown car (plus the disjointed C-HR styling doesn't help matters either in that regard). 17" is the limit for the iM in my opinion. I'm also not a fan of tires lower profile than about 45-50. I would be personally tempted to try 16" wheels and 225/50 tires instead of the factory 17" and 225/45. Still, everyone just has different tastes when it comes to these sorts of things.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks. My rule of thumb is to change the stock wheels no matter how nice they look. I dont want to have the same wheels as tens of thousands of people. Since these cars are slow, the best we can do to make them stand out is do tasteful mods in handling and appearance. Keeping stock rims, IMO are better for the sports cars or luxury cars. Our cars are economy cars than can be driven for fun during commute if it handles well. I bought this for my commute of 33k mi a year, so I know what the car is and isnt. The tires I got are made by Omni, they are starting off like Kuhmo did. The tires handled way better than the stock Toyo Proxes. Sometimes its not about the brand but looking at the specs of the tire. These are XL tires meaning they are reinforced more for lowered and performance cars, give better road feedback, provide extra traction, and allow heavier loads in the car, higher speed ratings, and more.
I was in the tire business for many years and specs mean very little as they are put on by the tire manufacturer without much follow through by any agencies. The proof is in the testing and most every off tire no name brand doesn't come close to the performance of better brand name tires like Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama, etc. And I might add that most any tire would be better then the Toyo Proxes that is OEM. :lol: XL tires are good for some vehicles that may tow or carry heavy loads but on an iM they aren't really needed and would make the ride harsher, fine for some but not for others.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was in the tire business for many years and specs mean very little as they are put on by the tire manufacturer without much follow through by any agencies. The proof is in the testing and most every off tire no name brand doesn't come close to the performance of better brand name tires like Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama, etc. And I might add that most any tire would be better then the Toyo Proxes that is OEM. :lol: XL tires are good for some vehicles that may tow or carry heavy loads but on an iM they aren't really needed and would make the ride harsher, fine for some but not for others.

When I put the new rims on before lowereing the car, the XL tires was lower profile and had the same 225 width, wasn?t that much harsher than the Toyos on the stock wheels, but it did handle better and provide good road feedback. I prefer a semi firm ride with good road feedback, never been into comfort floaty cars after I lowered my first car 16 years ago haha.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Wheel design looks pretty good, but I can't say I 'm a fan of 18" wheels on vehicles this size. It starts looking cartoonish - at least to me. The C-HR has the same issue - those big 18" wheels on that little vehicle make it look like a clown car (plus the disjointed C-HR styling doesn't help matters either in that regard). 17" is the limit for the iM in my opinion. I'm also not a fan of tires lower profile than about 45-50. I would be personally tempted to try 16" wheels and 225/50 tires instead of the factory 17" and 225/45. Still, everyone just has different tastes when it comes to these sorts of things.
Yeah I love the wheel design. And you?re right, before this I had a 2014 Camry SE and the 18inch wheels still felt too small on that big car. When I bought the IM, I thought the wheels were 18s and I had to double check the tire specs lol. It?s my habit to upgrade a stock wheel one size up because dealers never have it right. Since I didnt change the overall diameter of the tire and stayed within specs, I didn?t mind it being a little big. Im 36 and grew up in the rice rocket era whoch would explain a lot about why I chose a big @ss wheel lol. This is my commuter, my favorite cars I?ve owned was a 2004 350z and 2004 G35 6mt coupe with brembos. Now being a family guy, I have to be frugal and cant buy the cars I really want anymore. I almost bought the Type R until I realized there was only 4 seats haha. I?m married with 3 kids lol.

·
Registered
447 Posts
When I put the new rims on before lowereing the car, the XL tires was lower profile and had the same 225 width, wasn?t that much harsher than the Toyos on the stock wheels, but it did handle better and provide good road feedback. I prefer a semi firm ride with good road feedback, never been into comfort floaty cars after I lowered my first car 16 years ago haha.
Well a 225/40R18 XL tire will certainly be much stiffer than a 225/45R17 tire. I liked that Toyota just went straight to a 17" wheel for the iM. The sedan comes with 15", 16" or 17" wheel sizes. I tried an 18" wheel/tire setup in the same size you have on my 09 Corolla but I could feel the extra weight of the 18" wheeling the shorter sidewall was more harsh, just my thoughts although most of use felt the same way. I had read a pretty good comparison of different wheel/tire sizes on a VW golf that used our same size and the best tested size was the 225/45R17 vs the smaller 16" and larger 18". Their big point was that the weight of the 18" was too much for the car. Maybe if our iM had 200 hp it would be a different case! :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's the installed rims and tires, I love the way they came out! Going to get my fenders rolled out a little bit tomorrow and I'll post again.
what size are those tires? for some reason the thread design or the aspect of the tires make them look like some sort of rally or dirt tires!

If you look at the my post before the pictures I gave exact details on the rims and tires. The tires are a hyper sports all season tire so they're a little tready but they are hands down the best tire I have ever had! Check the post and ratings online, 9.6 out of 10 overall

·
Registered
274 Posts
what size are those tires? for some reason the thread design or the aspect of the tires make them look like some sort of rally or dirt tires!
Those are BFGoodrich G-Force Comp2 A/S and their mud-style sidewall is the reason why I did not get them. They look out of place on the iM. Otherwise, excellent tire by all reviewers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Those are BFGoodrich G-Force Comp2 A/S and their mud-style sidewall is the reason why I did not get them. They look out of place on the iM. Otherwise, excellent tire by all reviewers.
Exactly, however I drive up to Big Bear, mammoth and snowbowl to go skiing every winter and these tires are amazing in the snow, I don't need chains at all. They're perfect if you're looking for an all season tire

·
Registered
447 Posts
Here's a little before and after picture
I like the OEM wheels a lot more. All black wheels just blend in with the tire and don't look like anything special IMO. :eek:

Reactions: have2ride

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm going to use my OEM wheels for my winter tires since they are 7" wide. I'm starting to look at wheels for my 3 season tires and curious of what you guys think of some of these.

Enkei PF07

Enkei Draco

Enkei TM7

Enkei PW10

Enkei TS10

Sport Tuning ST3

Sport Tuning ST1

Sport Tuning ST4

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm partial to the PW10. Seem to be in the same general style as stock, but obviously not.

Question on the TPS, how do you handle swapping rims/tires between seasons, and keeping the TPS linked properly?
On several of my other cars that I have winter wheels/tires I had Discount Tire install a second set of sensors that they cloned to the originals. This way I never have to have them even reprogram them, works like a charm. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Figured I would share my wheels. 17 x 7.5 with 40 offset. Fitment is very very nice. I was going to opt for a larger size but changed my mind last minute so as to not sacrifice ride comfort. Overall very happy with my choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here is my wheel summary. I tried Maxxim Winner 17x7 (17 lbs), TSW Sprint 17x8 (21 lbs), Konig Ultraform Gold 17x8 (17 lbs) and I just got ENKEI RFP1 17x7 (14.6 lbs) installed today. All of them were installed with Toyo Proxes 4 Plus 225/45R17 W-rated.

I had tons of issues with 17x8 wheels: vibrations, pulling, floating, slow acceleration, uneven/weak braking etc. Even when I installed Konig Ultraforms my ride was very rough, I think stretched wheels do not absorb road bumps well. When I switched to 17x7 RFP1 today everything went back to normal: my ride is very comfortable, vibrations are gone, braking and acceleration are great.

Best fuel economy was Konig Ultraform. Worst fuel economy was TSW Sprint, they also had the worst handling, braking and acceleration.

Best price/performance wheel: Maxxim Winner 17x7. They felt amazing right away, they ride planted and comfortable. They are very cheap ~$100 per wheel. Made by Konig. However, my fuel economy dropped around 2 MPG after I installed Maxxim Winner.

Best performance: ENKEI RFP1. Made in Japan. They are super light at 14.6 lbs per wheel. Fuel economy dropped around 1 MPG, but acceleration, braking and handling in general are great. Where they lack: they are ugly looking, I keep thinking they were made in 1980s. They are expensive, around $220 per wheel on Amazon. They come without center caps, you need to buy your own 64mm caps that stick out (see pictures). I am most likely keeping ENKEI RFP1 since I was looking for best performance, not looks.

Attachments

Reactions: ARG05

·
Registered
447 Posts
Here is my wheel summary. I tried Maxxim Winner 17x7 (17 lbs), TSW Sprint 17x8 (21 lbs), Konig Ultraform Gold 17x8 (17 lbs) and I just got ENKEI RFP1 17x7 (14.6 lbs) installed today. All of them were installed with Toyo Proxes 4 Plus 225/45R17 W-rated.

I had tons of issues with 17x8 wheels: vibrations, pulling, floating, slow acceleration, uneven/weak braking etc. Even when I installed Konig Ultraforms my ride was very rough, I think stretched wheels do not absorb road bumps well. When I switched to 17x7 RFP1 today everything went back to normal: my ride is very comfortable, vibrations are gone, braking and acceleration are great.

Best fuel economy was Konig Ultraform. Worst fuel economy was TSW Sprint, they also had the worst handling, braking and acceleration.

Best price/performance wheel: Maxxim Winner 17x7. They felt amazing right away, they ride planted and comfortable. They are very cheap ~$100 per wheel. Made by Konig. However, my fuel economy dropped around 2 MPG after I installed Maxxim Winner.

Best performance: ENKEI RFP1. Made in Japan. They are super light at 14.6 lbs per wheel. Fuel economy dropped around 1 MPG, but acceleration, braking and handling in general are great. Where they lack: they are ugly looking, I keep thinking they were made in 1980s. They are expensive, around $220 per wheel on Amazon. They come without center caps, you need to buy your own 64mm caps that stick out (see pictures). I am most likely keeping ENKEI RFP1 since I was looking for best performance, not looks.
Thanks for sharing. It's always hard to really know how a wheel will look or perform until it's on the car. I've always liked the light weight of the RFP1 too but I've never liked the looks. I would think that it would be the best performing and give the best MPG due to the light weight. Hard to say though as controls are hard to have when in real world driving conditions. The OEM wheels are around 25 lbs each so any of them should provide better braking, acceleration and MPG.

What's weird are the issues with 8" wide wheels. I have 17x8 +35mm offset on my 09 Corolla S Turbo and I have zero issues with them. I was thinking that size would be good for the iM too or maybe a 7.5".

·
Registered
25 Posts
I personally like the look of RPF1s in black, but they really only fit certain cars. Namely Boxier Japanese brands. As for now i'm going to plastidip my stock ones black and see how i like that.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I personally like the look of RPF1s in black, but they really only fit certain cars. Namely Boxier Japanese brands. As for now i'm going to plastidip my stock ones black and see how i like that.
I've never been a fan of all black wheels as they disappear into the tire. They don't look a lot different from a steely rolling down the road. If it has a brushed metal face and black inlay those can look great as it gives the wheel more dimension and a lip that separates the tire and wheel.

·
Registered
447 Posts
So does anyone know the weight of the OEM 17" alloy wheels? I've been looking but haven't found it.

I know that they are:

17x7
+50mm offset
weight ?????

41 - 60 of 80 Posts