Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.... Toyota USA requires 0W-20 in order to get their CAFE credits. But what are you using to protect your engine? Post here.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Royal Purple is a **** brand oil imo. It's a gimmick. I saw more Subaru owners blow their motor (cracking a ringland) using Royal Purple than any other brand oil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Royal Purple is a **** brand oil imo. It's a gimmick. I saw more Subaru owners blow their motor (cracking a ringland) using Royal Purple than any other brand oil.
Wow, really? I've always used Mobil 1, but I've heard nothing but praise for Royal Purple for years. I figured I'd try it. I guess I need to do better research!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Amsoil, Motul, Red Line, Eneos ... would all be a better choice than Royal Purple.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Correct, full synthetic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When are you guys going to do your first oil change? Picked up the car today and the dealership recommended the factory change interval of 16000km (Canadian vehicle). I am not sure I want to leave the original oil in that long. Maybe a change at half that mirage for the first change, then regular intervals after that?

Aaron

·
Registered
26 Posts
With a new car I always try to change the break-in oil between 500 and 1500 miles. Even with the higher quality motor oils in use today, there's still a lot of metal in there from break-in. I'm just about to hit 500 miles and am going to change it in the next week or two.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to have something cleared. I have a 2016 scion iM, the book says that it uses 0w-20 and its good for cold weather, and it also says to increase viscosity if driven in high velocities or something about loads. I live in Puerto Rico its always hot here. Should i use 5w-20 instead or i should stay with the 0w-20 even though i dont live in cold weather?

·
Registered
101 Posts
HTML:
I want to have something cleared. I have a 2016 scion iM, the book says that it uses 0w-20 and its good for cold weather, and it also says to increase viscosity if driven in high velocities or something about loads. I live in Puerto Rico its always hot here. Should i use 5w-20 instead or i should stay with the 0w-20 even though i dont live in cold weather?
Just keep it simple and follow the manual. 0w-20 works fine.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 and a TRD oil filter for 5,000 miles. I liked it, but nothing really impressive. I just ordered a cheap Purolator filter and a jug of LiquiMolly 0w-20 synthetic, I will have my oil change in about a month (I get oil changes every 5,000 miles despite what our manual recommends).

As far as I understand, 0W-20 only comes in synthetic these days. I haven't yet seen any mineral 0w-20 oil.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 and a TRD oil filter for 5,000 miles. I liked it, but nothing really impressive. I just ordered a cheap Purolator filter and a jug of LiquiMolly 0w-20 synthetic, I will have my oil change in about a month (I get oil changes every 5,000 miles despite what our manual recommends).

As far as I understand, 0W-20 only comes in synthetic these days. I haven't yet seen any mineral 0w-20 oil.
I had my LiquiMoly 0W-20 oil change today. I am impressed! My car drives really smooth and solid. Overall, it feels better than Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or standard Mobil oil they use at the dealership. It is available on Amazon and the jug said it is made in Germany.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JMM0BM/

Reactions: davect01

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I had my LiquiMolly 0W-20 oil change today. I am impressed! My car drives really smooth and solid. Overall, it feels better than Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or standard Mobil oil they use at the dealership. It is available on Amazon and the jug said it is made in Germany.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JMM0BM/
I'll keep that in mind for when I need to start doing my own.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts