Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Birds word is that Scion is trying to off its little do nothing...

Basically a rebadged version of the Toyota iQ, the car will not be “staying in the lineup too much longer,” according to Dough Murtha, the boss of Scion. He did also confirm that all the other models it currently sells will continue to be offered.
and then...

Murtha did admit that the iQ was a “health experiment” for Toyota, and that it taught them important lessons about US buyers’ tastes. Apparently, people couldn’t get over the car’s size and it apparently caused nervousness – I say those are just preconceptions because I too drove a (Toyota-badged) iQ a while back and found it to be very surefooted and reassuring to drive despite expecting the same not-so-reassuring small car feel…

·
Registered
661 Posts
It's about time it happened.
I live in a highly populated area, on the road a lot and since it's release i've only seen 2 scion iq's.

At least going forward their strategy seems to be better, they just can't repeat the same process, better learn from it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I see an iQ around quite a bit, but it is the same pink on that is parked across from the subway station near my house each day. Not sure why it is doing worse than say, a smartcar.

I also wonder if the iQ was doing any better in Canada than the US.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see an iQ around quite a bit, but it is the same pink on that is parked across from the subway station near my house each day. Not sure why it is doing worse than say, a smartcar.

I also wonder if the iQ was doing any better in Canada than the US.
micro cars suffer because of cost. The smart car is a dud because price wise its more in line with a compact sedan, not a supermini... the iQ suffers because its ugly, and its sold in the same space as the Yaris... plus its just too small for NA.... Ford Fiesta is about the smallest this market will stomach..

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think the rear of the iQ is designed well but the front really isn't that special. I think it is a good move for them to shut down the iQ since they can now spend that money on something that will do a whole lot more for them.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well, if it wasn't heading to the chopping block i'm sure they would give it a facelift to keep it in line with cues you see from Toyota and Lexus, but it would be much more watered down and more scion-like, if you know what i mean.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It just seems like when you are building a vehicle lineup, and you don't have a ton of models in it yet, you would be smart to focus on models other than a city car just because of the sales potential.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i think a city car can work but just that scion's approach with it wasn't all that great.
chevrolet seems to have it right with their sonic.

·
Registered
432 Posts
That was really a terrible move by AM. I just don't understand how that car was made. It seems so clear to everyone that it shouldn't have been.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That was really a terrible move by AM. I just don't understand how that car was made. It seems so clear to everyone that it shouldn't have been.
You don't understand HOW the car was made?

An Aston Martin met a Scion iQ, the rest is obvious, clearly.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I mean there was an executive meeting where a bunch of people agreed to make this car. It just seems like someone would have stepped up and been the truth sayer.

"This is a terrible idea."

No one said that I guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts