Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been car shopping for a CVT vehicle for the wifey and have narrowed it down to an HRV or the IM. I have test driven both and like the spaciousness of the trunk in the HRV but i like all the features of what the IM has to offer in one package. The IM is more engaging and fun to drive. We are leaning towards the IM. The only thing holding us back is we are not able to test drive on the highway. I know it is not supposed to be a fast car but don't want to feel dissapointed after purchasing the car. I want to know current owner impressions of the vehicle on the highway. Keep in mind that we are looking at the CVT's. Does it have adequate on ramp power. What is the ride like once at speed?

Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
Been car shopping for a CVT vehicle for the wifey and have narrowed it down to an HRV or the IM. I have test driven both and like the spaciousness of the trunk in the HRV but i like all the features of what the IM has to offer in one package. The IM is more engaging and fun to drive. We are leaning towards the IM. The only thing holding us back is we are not able to test drive on the highway. I know it is not supposed to be a fast car but don't want to feel dissapointed after purchasing the car. I want to know current owner impressions of the vehicle on the highway. Keep in mind that we are looking at the CVT's. Does it have adequate on ramp power. What is the ride like once at speed?

Thanks

If you are seriously considering this car, the dealer should let you take it on the highway. Or is there some other reason you couldn't test it on the highway?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer said they are only allowed on a designated route because of insurance. I even told them that was the only thing holding us back from purchasing the car. I figure if they really wanted me to purchase, they would of make an exception. I guess I will just call another dealer to see if they will let me test it on the freeway.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The dealer said they are only allowed on a designated route because of insurance. I even told them that was the only thing holding us back from purchasing the car. I figure if they really wanted me to purchase, they would of make an exception. I guess I will just call another dealer to see if they will let me test it on the freeway.

Yes, call another dealer. I never heard of that insurance excuse before. I suspect it more about putting too many test miles on the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm worried about the same thing. Leaning toward a new Golf, the newly re-designed Civic, or the iM. I like the iM but am nervous that I will be disappointed by the lack of power. It will probably feel just like a Civic. I'm driving a VW Passat Wagon right now and it's fun to drive.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Wish I could help.... I bought the 6speed. I personally don't trust CVT transmissions all that much. I can say that the iM has decent acceleration onto the highway but I felt like the car was choking until I installed the TRD panel filter. Definitely added a bit more pep in its step. My wife drives a 1.8t jetta though and it is absolutely faster, but the VW's price tag is like $5k more for these options as well.

As for the lifted crossover Honda Fit (or HRV as Honda calls it)... I test drove one as well... The HRV didn't shake a stick at the iM in my opinion that was the 3rd or 4th CVT I have ever driven (and the worst by far) I didn't even make it a mile before telling the salesman "Time to go back, not interested". About the only brand I would consider a CVT from is Nissan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wish I could help.... I bought the 6speed. I personally don't trust CVT transmissions all that much. I can say that the iM has decent acceleration onto the highway but I felt like the car was choking until I installed the TRD panel filter. Definitely added a bit more pep in its step. My wife drives a 1.8t jetta though and it is absolutely faster, but the VW's price tag is like $5k more for these options as well.

As for the lifted crossover Honda Fit (or HRV as Honda calls it)... I test drove one as well... The HRV didn't shake a stick at the iM in my opinion that was the 3rd or 4th CVT I have ever driven (and the worst by far) I didn't even make it a mile before telling the salesman "Time to go back, not interested". About the only brand I would consider a CVT from is Nissan.
Thanks, that's what I've been thinking about with the VW 1.8t vs the iM. I want the VW, but it's priced so much higher for equivalent equipment.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Tough decision. I chose the iM over a Golf after sitting in both (I am 6'7''). I travel A LOT for work and use my POV for trips to Baltimore and Philly from Norfolk VA. The Golf would definitely have been more "fun" but not as comfortable on a long haul or driving in the city. That and with all of the options that I wanted I was looking at a 4 door GTI SE with a price tag of $26k US before even sitting down to discuss destination fees and processing and handling... It's hard to consider them the same class of vehicle when there's a $5k difference walking out the door.

All fees and everything included I walked out the Scion dealer door paying $21,035 for the 6 speed with floor mats and a rear bumper guard. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have gotten the options... You can get them on ebay (actual OEM parts) about 30% cheaper than from the dealer at time of purchase.

Reactions: bicepeak

·
Registered
661 Posts
At least going with the iM you'll know you'll have Toyota reliability, not sure about the Golf but last I checked German cars aren't that reliable and can be expensive to fix! Might be why I don't see as many Golf's on the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Last month I leased a 2015 Corolla S-Plus with the CVT (basically the same vehicle as the IM). Last weekend took it on the first extended highway drive (the LI Expressway). No problems cruising 65-70 mph and still achieving high 30's mpg. If I need a little extra "go" when passing or going up hills, I use the paddle shifters which work smoothly.

I might have waited for the IM, but Toyota was running very strong deals that I couldn't pass up. I have a 3-year lease; perhaps I will get an IM next time. As noted previously, Toyota's are known for the reliability. The IM is a tasty looking auto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At least going with the iM you'll know you'll have Toyota reliability, not sure about the Golf but last I checked German cars aren't that reliable and can be expensive to fix! Might be why I don't see as many Golf's on the road.
VWs are great, but the new Jetta is built in Mexico and the new Passat is an American car. Pretty sure the new Golf is still built in Germany and shipped over. It's a solid car.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Thanks

I have had my IM for 2 weeks now with the CVT transmission, i am not dissapointed at all, in my opinion the ride quality is alot better then other similar vehicules.

Powerwise it is ok, not a fast car but it does the job, the HRV has a 1.6l out of a civic and might be a little heavier.

I actually had the choice between the HRV and the IM, like you said space in the HRV is nice, but the IM offers more for less money.

What turned me off about the HRV is the engine like i mentionned, i find it ridiculous to put a 1.6 cylinder in a small SUV, the salesman at honda told me they did that because they are going to have turboed engines very soon and then were gonna wait before putting it in the HRV.

If you want too i could take a quick video on the highway and show you what acceleration looks like.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If there are tunes available for the iM's engine, is that something you guys would one day consider? Especially as you see dynocharts showing where along the powerband it makes more power?

·
Registered
31 Posts
yes I would like to see if you guys are getting similar results.
Correction, it doesn't seem right at all ... he must have been on a slope because i don't think im getting similar results.

I will make a video tomorrow night if i get the chance.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If there are tunes available for the iM's engine, is that something you guys would one day consider? Especially as you see dynocharts showing where along the powerband it makes more power?
Absolutely. I honestly feel like theres about 15-20 more horsepower that could be tuned out of this motor with the valvematic system. Probably not much more for torque though.

yes I would like to see if you guys are getting similar results.
I have a 6spd with an intake, and exhaust and am getting 0-60 times better than that video. It rained here last night, but if the roads dry off I'll make a video this afternoon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was apprehensive about the getting the CVT iM. It's the first time I've driven a CVT and with all of the stuff I've read about them I was little worried. We bought the iM and I got the car on the highway and just had a huge grin. It's got plenty of power for the type of car. It's not gonna be a race car, but so far it hasn't felt like it lacks power either. I should also mention that my previous car was a 97 Corolla with almost 230k miles on it. Not exactly a rocket. Getting to highway speed in that car seemed like a chore. I find myself hitting 80mph in the iM without even thinking about it. And if you need that extra boost either putting it into shift mode or hitting the Sport mode button gets you what you're looking for.

And the iM is sooooooo much better looking than that HRV. I haven't loved a car as much as this since I owned my 1990 VW Jetta Carat that I got rid of in 2005.

Get the iM.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts