Scion iM Forum banner

161 - 180 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm currently at the dealership getting my 5k service and they're changing out a tire as I hit a real bad pothole the other night. While waiting I decided to stop in at the parts desk and ask about the TRD intake. They weren't sure about availability, but they did show a price in their computer of $425.

Seems pricey compared to some of those aftermarket options, but no one would question it being a modification if the Fuzz was "looking under the hood".
Best price on TRD Intake I could find - $328. I think it is a waste of money, but it does look cool.

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-cold-air-intake-im-ptr0312160

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm currently at the dealership getting my 5k service and they're changing out a tire as I hit a real bad pothole the other night. While waiting I decided to stop in at the parts desk and ask about the TRD intake. They weren't sure about availability, but they did show a price in their computer of $425.

Seems pricey compared to some of those aftermarket options, but no one would question it being a modification if the Fuzz was "looking under the hood".
Best price on TRD Intake I could find - $328. I think it is a waste of money, but it does look cool.

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-cold-air-intake-im-ptr0312160
Yes a complete waste of money with no real gains

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yes a complete waste of money with no real gains
Why did you decide to actually get a CAI? You were happy with your stock air box, or so you were saying earlier.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The improved airflow of the modded air box was a nice start, I just wanted a bit more
Do you feel any extra performance after you installed CAI compared to your modded box?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I love it. I have not Dynoed anything, but it does seem a nice next step.
After reading about different options, I may get an Injet CAI later. It sounds like it is a *true* CAI, but it does require a bit too much effort to get installed.

Reactions: davect01

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just went out and took airbox apart to get that charcoal filter out and to see what I was working with. I wanted to ask before I go any further.... Is there anyway to get the thing out without breaking it? Mine, as I'm sure everyone else's was, is in there pretty good. I watched another member's video of the removal and he just took a flat head and broke it right out. I was just hopeful that if I ever needed to put it back in I could dab some glue to it like some older posts from the Highlanders mentioned on Toyota Nation, and put it back in. My problem is I don't really have anything thin enough to get in between the box and the frame of that charcoal filter other than the flat head screw driver.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just went out and took airbox apart to get that charcoal filter out and to see what I was working with. I wanted to ask before I go any further.... Is there anyway to get the thing out without breaking it? Mine, as I'm sure everyone else's was, is in there pretty good. I watched another member's video of the removal and he just took a flat head and broke it right out. I was just hopeful that if I ever needed to put it back in I could dab some glue to it like some older posts from the Highlanders mentioned on Toyota Nation, and put it back in. My problem is I don't really have anything thin enough to get in between the box and the frame of that charcoal filter other than the flat head screw driver.
You can get it out without destroying it if you are very careful and have the right tool.

Most of us just tore it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can get it out without destroying it if you are very careful and have the right tool.

Most of us just tore it out.
I guess I don't have the right tool lol. I went and bought a putty knife and tried to use that in my efforts to get it out, but it didn't work and I scratched the top of my airbox up in the process while I was wrestling with it :mad:
I guess it's a good thing I have a K&N Sticker that's about to go on top of the thing to hide some of those scratches.

I'll probably just end up getting frustrated enough to tear it out also. I was just trying to preserve the filter in case I ever needed to put it back in on a trip to the dealer down the road, but I'm finding out that's probably more trouble than it's worth. This filter is seriously a pain in the rear!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I guess I don't have the right tool lol. I went and bought a putty knife and tried to use that in my efforts to get it out, but it didn't work and I scratched the top of my airbox up in the process while I was wrestling with it :mad:
I guess it's a good thing I have a K&N Sticker that's about to go on top of the thing to hide some of those scratches.

I'll probably just end up getting frustrated enough to tear it out also. I was just trying to preserve the filter in case I ever needed to put it back in on a trip to the dealer down the road, but I'm finding out that's probably more trouble than it's worth. This filter is seriously a pain in the rear!
Just go Hulk on its ass ;)

But yea, it is almost as if they don't want it coming out.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I thought about this whole filter removal thing and decided to keep everything stock for now. I see no reason to break things, since end result is not that much better. I would rather order a CAI, then remove the entire stock air intake and install my new CAI. Keep your stock air intake in the garage, just in case you will be selling the car and your dealer or new owner would want to have a stock air intake installed.

Injet CAI is around $250, not super cheap, but not bad either, considering that it is cheaper than TRD intake that has oily filter and does not do much. I will get mine replaced within a few months and I will get it done at a local shop.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Okay guys, I pulled the trigger on ordering a HPS short ram air intake today, comes with a k&n air filter on it as well. I should have it by the end of the week and will post before and after photos for everyone to check out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guy which intake would fit an 2018 iM?
Im reading all these engine comparison to the older models and scion iM's. That it will fit. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got my hps k&n intake this morning and installed this afternoon! Hands down best purchase I've made so far. It's a short ram style intake but it come with the heat shield and when you remove all of the old air box housing (including the piece going down into the wheel well) it's gives you tons of space and more airflow into the engine! It looks absolutely amazing and sounds incredible, very deep and throaty! If you're looking to order one let me know and I can get it for you at cost! I posted one stock photo and the rest after the install!

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
is it the upgr8 air filter? if so It's what I got & posted about it previously lol also in red lol
Just posting as I opted for those alerts on performance sites as well.
and for those (you get what you pay for ppl or ppl who want the well known brand names)
even though the upgr8 filter is really awesome for the price!
I just installed my Upgr8 air filter. It is great, acceleration is better and my car feels lighter. Amazon price is just $9.95 right now. I can definitely feel performance improvement compared to the stock Denso air filter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPTR1WK

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just installed my Upgr8 air filter. It is great, acceleration is better and my car feels lighter. Amazon price is just $9.95 right now. I can definitely feel performance improvement compared to the stock Denso air filter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPTR1WK
Have you removed your charcoal filter yet? I've been running the Upgr8 for several months now. I thought I could tell a very small difference with it until today when I tore the charcoal filter out finally. I'm impressed with it so far, but I'm just back and forth on whether or not to remove the snorkel or do a whole new intake system. I'd rather save the money that I would be spending on an intake and put it towards wheels or something else since it's free to remove the snorkel.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Have you removed your charcoal filter yet? I've been running the Upgr8 for several months now. I thought I could tell a very small difference with it until today when I tore the charcoal filter out finally. I'm impressed with it so far, but I'm just back and forth on whether or not to remove the snorkel or do a whole new intake system. I'd rather save the money that I would be spending on an intake and put it towards wheels or something else since it's free to remove the snorkel.
Did you feel much difference after you removed charcoal filter? I did not remove mine and I will most likely keep it. I am happy with my performance improvement already. Since I am trying to keep my car as much OEM as possible, I will not be getting CAI or anything else.

161 - 180 of 213 Posts