Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for your air intake mods and general discussion.

I'll start with my first mod. On the left is the charcoal / carbon filter from an older car. On the right is the filter from a newer car. As you can see over time it gets clogged up pretty badly.

Good idea to have this unserviceable filter removed from the air intake box? Absolutely! :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Did this as well when I installed the TRD filter.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's just a panel air filter replacement like a K&N but I like it. Makes the throttle a bit more responsive, the car feels slighly peppier, and there is some added engine / cabin noise (I have the 6spd so this is more than welcome as before I could barely hear the engine). I prefer to hear the engine than to have to look at the tach to figure RPM.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a diagram of the stock intake. #8 is the inlet tube. That design can't be good for flow.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Here is a diagram of the stock intake. #8 is the inlet tube. That design can't be good for flow.

Awesome picture! I was wondering what that snorkel dipped down into... It looks like you have to remove the headlight to get to that U-Joint though. Do you have access to a tech manual that would show how to remove the headlight? I would like to remove that U-Joint completely as it all just kind of snaps together.

Could i use a Corolla intake since its same engine? Or does it have to be iM?
I had actually ordered a Corolla HPS shortram intake, but canceled the order after I got the car and saw the design of the stock airbox. The stock airbox actually draws cold air from the front of the car. Every shortram intake I have seen for the Corolla's is on back order, but more importantly the cone filter is drawing air from right behind the intake manifold much closer to the header / backside of the engine. There would be almost no performance gain what so ever. The cold air intakes I have seen from the Corolla go into the fender well through a hole that doesn't look like it would line up on our cars.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Is anyone here planning to get a short ram or cold air intake?

Having done both in the past, a short ram is what i'll be most interested in. If you have a manual iM it'll make driving one even more enjoyable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just wanted to make sure, do I remove the charcoal / carbon filter? If so how do I do it, it looks like it is stuck in there?

Thank you

·
Registered
661 Posts
10mm deep socket and an extension should do it... Number 8 should def be out for a nice deep sound ;)
Just one tip to add to that... don't tighten it too much, just enough. Seen way too many people crack plastic by tightening a screw too tight.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just one tip to add to that... don't tighten it too much, just enough. Seen way too many people crack plastic by tightening a screw too tight.
Thanks, but I'm not tightening anything... removing pieces, and pretty savvy either way. The one visible 10mm bolt on piece 8 in the diagram doesn't seem to be the only thing holding it in. I really need this hurricane to go away, and give me some good driveway time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nick,
If I remember correctly when I removed mine in my Xb its just a plastic type pin that needs the ends squeezed to pull it out. I knew I was not putting it back so I yanked on it to remove it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Cha-ching... had to remove the battery, and cut some of the plastic crap to get it out but the factory airbox is definitely as free flowing as it's going to get at this point. I like that it is still drawing air coming from the front of the car.

Attachments

Reactions: G6-R and igs

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cha-ching... had to remove the battery, and cut some of the plastic crap to get it out but the factory airbox is definitely as free flowing as it's going to get at this point. I like that it is still drawing air coming from the front of the car.
Nice! Any difference in sound or performance?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nice! Any difference in sound or performance?
The intake is very deep / throaty compared to when I first bought it. As for performance... between the exhaust and this yes absolutely. The car breathes a lot better. It is much more responsive, and definitely pulls harder at higher RPM now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Following in the footsteps of Mr Prescott I also did the airbox mod. As you can see from the pictures below the air intake actually comes from a small circular opening which connects to a hole at the bottom of the engine bay. This hole is much smaller than the opening in the air filter box.

Results:
- At full throttle intake sound is much louder
- This mod plus the charcoal filter removal alone improved 0-60 times by over half a second, can't wait to start doing some exhaust mods!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have to admit the car is actually kinda quick now. The mid and especially top end is noticeably improved just by opening up the stock intake. Before it felt so sluggish, slower than a regular Corolla.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts