Scion iM Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can totally attest to that. I thought about lowering it but decided to go this route instead. Dont have the rear brace but with front and rear strut bars, mid brace and traction bar (which also helps with wheel hop and off the line acceleration) cornering at auto x is a dream. TB performance Products all the way for sure.
I had a dropped car before and while they look great, it was a PIA.

True. Considered Tein Flex Z coils but I had a lowered/ heavily modified Neon and I dont think I'll go that route again in the future if there are chassis reinforcements available. Totally happy with my choice and I think a lot more reliable way to achieve improved handling. Owner of TB is really cool too.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have my 2009 Corolla S Turbo lowered on BC coilovers and I haven't had issues. It's not slammed low but it's lower than my iM will be. I'm still going to lower my iM but it will be a mild drop on Tanabe springs, a 0.7" front and 1.0" rear drop. Here is the underside of my Corolla Turbo.

Reactions: davect01

·
Registered
450 Posts
So I was going through things in my garage and I came across a brace that is the same bolt hole alignment as the TB rear mid brace that hits the scuba. The beauty of this brace is that it's not as wide and cleared the scuba. It was also lighter than the TB or OEM brace. The strangest part is I don't know what car I even bought it for in the first place!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
So I was going through things in my garage and I came across a brace that is the same bolt hole alignment as the TB rear mid brace that hits the scuba. The beauty of this brace is that it's not as wide and cleared the scuba. It was also lighter than the TB or OEM brace. The strangest part is I don't know what car I even bought it for in the first place!

Looking good

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have my 2009 Corolla S Turbo lowered on BC coilovers and I haven't had issues. It's not slammed low but it's lower than my iM will be. I'm still going to lower my iM but it will be a mild drop on Tanabe springs, a 0.7" front and 1.0" rear drop. Here is the underside of my Corolla Turbo.

I love the turbo you have. Very cool. I have a question tho. I'm looking into Megan Racing coils (used mid pipe and other parts in the past for different builds) and want to lower it a bit but with the mid brace from TB already there, do you think I'll scrape the brace? Even if it's just a subtle drop?

Just want a second opinion cuz I want to be safe about it. I really like the brace and I'd rather not take it off if I can help it.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I love the turbo you have. Very cool. I have a question tho. I'm looking into Megan Racing coils (used mid pipe and other parts in the past for different builds) and want to lower it a bit but with the mid brace from TB already there, do you think I'll scrape the brace? Even if it's just a subtle drop?

Just want a second opinion cuz I want to be safe about it. I really like the brace and I'd rather not take it off if I can help it.
The braces do add some to the bottom of the car, a good inch and a half inches. Well worth it but a consideration when adding a drop.

·
Registered
450 Posts

I'm sure that you will be okay. As I said I've not had issues with my 2009 Corolla so I'm not expecting to have issues with my iM. I think that you will be okay. There are people that have braces that drop their cars much lower.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Since I'm going with coils I'll lower I and then gauge it from there to see if I want it any lower. Most coils I know of tho they won't be stock ride height even if they are all the way to the top setting (correct me if I'm wrong, just speaking from experience). My goal is to turn the IM into a rally car so I won't lower it too much in the end abyway.

Cool thanks guys. I haven't lowered a car in a while so I'm still getting back into it. I'll hit the gas on it soon tho.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Since I'm going with coils I'll lower I and then gauge it from there to see if I want it any lower. Most coils I know of tho they won't be stock ride height even if they are all the way to the top setting (correct me if I'm wrong, just speaking from experience). My goal is to turn the IM into a rally car so I won't lower it too much in the end abyway.

Cool thanks guys. I haven't lowered a car in a while so I'm still getting back into it. I'll hit the gas on it soon tho.
I've got BC coilovers on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT and I could raise it up if I wanted too. I don't have it slammed but I have it lowered to where it looks great and handles well. I've not had any issues with scraping on y 2017 Corolla iM 6MT since I lowered it on Tanabe lowering springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I've got BC coilovers on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT and I could raise it up if I wanted too. I don't have it slammed but I have it lowered to where it looks great and handles well. I've not had any issues with scraping on y 2017 Corolla iM 6MT since I lowered it on Tanabe lowering springs.
Consider yourself lucky.

I have in particular a step entryway into my work parking lot that would be a nightmare with even a little bit of a drop.

And my mother-in-law's driveway has a dip that even now scrapes just a bit.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Consider yourself lucky.

I have in particular a step entryway into my work parking lot that would be a nightmare with even a little bit of a drop.

And my mother-in-law's driveway has a dip that even now scrapes just a bit.
Sounds like a good reason not to go to your mother-in-laws place. ;)

I also own several cars so if there was one place that caused me issues, which there isn't for me, I could use a different car for that location.

I'm lucky in that I don't use any of my cars to commute to work since I have a work truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have the Tanabe strut bar, works well with the mid chassis brace.

Not gonna get the hatch strut bar, too much stuff going on back there.

Curious on the traction bar, but I've heard mixed results when you have independent suspension.

Also looking at the Eibach sway bars.
Have any one looked at these suspension braces for the Lexus CTA10 (2011–present) since the iM shares the same chassis.
Automotive tire Automotive design Luggage and bags Font Bumper

I would like to know if someone could confirm that they would fit before I buy…

·
Registered
11 Posts

Do you happen to remember at all where this mid chassis brace came from? I just searched google and got no wear close to finding it… I know you can get the one from TB performance and use spacers but would love to have it like yours with out spacers!

·
Registered
11 Posts

Since it looks like your not useing the TB performance rear mid chassis brace on your car, is it for sale?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts