Scion iM Forum banner

"Superior to the Corolla"

9K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  SiM 
#1 ·
#5 ·
My guess is he is referring to the newest Corolla which had a body style change in 2014.

Isn't that just saying that the Auris is better than the Corolla? I just don't think it's that big a deal. They are both made by the same brand and the Corolla is a fine vehicle.
As a current Scion owner and having several friends that I have met through Scion car culture, it makes a huge difference to me. Scion's numbers are way down since the peak in 2006 and there has been talk of tanking the brand. I would hate to see that and miss out on the chance to meet more people due to the car culture. I want Scion to sell more iM's than Corolla's. Toyota has enough good press and it's about time Scion gets some. I understand that they are both made by Toyota, I just don't want the public opinion of Scion to be similar to that of Saturn or Pontiac.

#6 ·
so then you might as well buy a corolla? LOL...

The iM is already goign to lose big time to the corolla so if they can game a few more sales by getting the journos to say yes its better then a corolla.... well then maybe they can siphon off some of that volume into the brand that dearly needs it...

#9 ·
then you don't understand how cannibalisation works. Scion can't cannibalise Toyota because its far to small and lacks the brand cache to do so. Toyota can totally consume scion should they want to...

Its different then two mcdonalds located near each other cannibalising their respective same store sales.

For scion to siphon off a couple thousand sales from the Corolla is largely INSIGNIFICANT to the health of Toyota, yet extremely important to the health of scion. And for Toyota its a way to keep consumers around who may not want a relatively uninspiring Corolla. They now have an experimental weapon to try and keep potential buyers out of Mazda 3's and Civic's...

Its a parent and child relationship, not a combative one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.