Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Part 1 Power Line Install

Here is the thin sub box that fits perfectly. (Still debating on where to put the amp)

The hardest step was to run the power line through the firewall and catching it on the inside. Remove the air filter for easier access.

(Unhooked for now)

Then running it through the car is pretty straight forward.

I ran out of time for the day, I'll work on running the speaker input in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you plan on securing the box there ? Looks like it'll slide around the place. But good work so far man !
I drove yesterday and it is pretty secure with some Velcro on the bottom. There are also sub box brackets you can buy for a more secure placement.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK, part 2

I am getting the inputs ran via a Line-Out Converter

Pac SNI 35 Variable Loc Line Out Converter Standard Packaging | eBay

I decided to get the speaker inputs from behind the head unit. I initially was going to go for the speaker wires from a door speaker, but the wire bundle was very tight.

Removing the bezel was fairly easy, with a couple of electrical connectors that had to be unplugged.

Removing the head unit is also fairly easy, four screws hold it in, (Just don't drop them, I came close)

This is the speaker wire harness, as shown in this thread:
http://www.scionimforum.com/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/2418-amp-subwoofer-install.html

Pretty straight forward wire work, the Line-Out Converter had all the directions as to which wire goes to which.

The Line-Out Converter conviniently tucks away in this little cubby with the wires feeding behind the glove box.

Turned on the car to verify the connections were good before replacing the headunit and bezel, (Don't want to have to redo all this) Good song playing

The Line-Out Converter supplied two ground wires which I attached to the Head Unit bolts

Then once again, running wires through the car

I stopped here for the day as I need to get a couple of RCA Connectors for the Amp side of the speaker wires. Getting close :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Never did anything like this before but I have heard that bigger boxes are better, is this true? If I don't need to use much space in the trunk do you think I should go for a bigger box or would that be unnecessary?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Never did anything like this before but I have heard that bigger boxes are better, is this true? If I don't need to use much space in the trunk do you think I should go for a bigger box or would that be unnecessary?
Not necessarily. Subwoofers have manufacturer recommended box sizes for both sealed and ported boxes. Putting a sub in a much larger box than recommended could run a risk of damaging it because of the lack of pressure. Vice-versa if too small

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you get really deep into it, you can start looking for boxes tuned for specific frequency ranges and thats a whole other ball park altogether lol

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Not necessarily. Subwoofers have manufacturer recommended box sizes for both sealed and ported boxes. Putting a sub in a much larger box than recommended could run a risk of damaging it because of the lack of pressure. Vice-versa if too small
That's very true

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you get really deep into it, you can start looking for boxes tuned for specific frequency ranges and thats a whole other ball park altogether lol

My first heavily modded ride was a 98 S-10. I had thousands of dollars of higher end audio equipment. This included two, two position and ported sub boxes that were custom built. A lot of fun in my single with some spare $$$ days.

Nothing going anywhere near that level of customization ;-)

·
Registered
352 Posts
My first heavily modded ride was a 98 S-10. I had thousands of dollars of higher end audio equipment. This included two, two position and ported sub boxes that were custom built. A lot of fun in my single with some spare $$$ days.

Nothing going anywhere near that level of customization ;-)
Ahh always had a soft spot for those s10's ! But darn that sounds like it was crazy as ****, I can only image the amount of joy that brought.. the good days ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts