Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm at 85 on my 2016. I've pulled the plugs on mine around 75k when I was doing compression tests with my labscope and checked them out. Honestly I would move up the interval a little to maybe 75 to 90. Theres a lot of carbon blow by past the porcelain which is a good indicator for plug wear. I'll be doing mine at 90 just because. I don't see an issue with waiting to 100 since my experience is anecdotal

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was curious and skeptic about Toyota superseding the old plugs (SC20HR11) we had on our iMs. Now I know why....

I just changed my spark plugs with 90919-01275 (SC16HR11). The car is around 95K miles. I should have replaced it a long time ago. No more RPM fluctuations, no more vibrations at high rpms (which I thought was normal).

I have a 6 speed manual and you cant even tell the car is under load. Accelerating on the freeway on ramp is a breeze....

Engine is more smooth and quiet. I can actually hear my exhaust now lol.

Its only been 500 miles so far. I will post another feedback later.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I was curious and skeptic about Toyota superseding the old plugs (SC20HR11) we had on our iMs. Now I know why....

I just changed my spark plugs with 90919-01275 (SC16HR11). The car is around 95K miles. I should have replaced it a long time ago. No more RPM fluctuations, no more vibrations at high rpms (which I thought was normal).

I have a 6 speed manual and you cant even tell the car is under load. Accelerating on the freeway on ramp is a breeze....

Interesting.

·
Registered
450 Posts

The SC16HR11 plugs are one step hotter. I've not noticed any issues with my 2107 iM but I only have 11k miles on it currently. I did install a set of the hotter SC16HR11 in my wife's 2010 Prius when I did the 120k mile service. I've continued to use the colder SC20HR11 in my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT. The colder plugs work better with the turbo but they get gapped much smaller at .028-.032. You can find the OEM Denso SC20HR11 plugs on eBay for a good price. I bought 4 sets of them for $12 a set of 4 plugs! Great find!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
450 Posts
That's good you found ones for cheap... Also, just be aware that there is a lot of fake denso's out there. I heard horror stories of guys bought denso plugs not knowing they are fake.

I found a link that could help guide on avoiding fake plugs:

https://www.driven2automotive.com/blog/how-to-spot-fake-denso-iridium-power-spark-plugs-2017/

I believe SC20HR11's have been disontinued (not sure if only in the US).....
That doesn't help me very much. The ones I bought are the Toyota replacements in Toyota boxes. I wish there was a telltale sign of how to spot a real one vs a fake Toyota Denso plug.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That's good you found ones for cheap... Also, just be aware that there is a lot of fake denso's out there. I heard horror stories of guys bought denso plugs not knowing they are fake.

I found a link that could help guide on avoiding fake plugs:

https://www.driven2automotive.com/blog/how-to-spot-fake-denso-iridium-power-spark-plugs-2017/

I believe SC20HR11's have been disontinued (not sure if only in the US).....
That doesn't help me very much. The ones I bought are the Toyota replacements in Toyota boxes. I wish there was a telltale sign of how to spot a real one vs a fake Toyota Denso plug.
There is a lot of forums about the fake denso & toyota plugs online. Toyotanation.com has most of them.

See attached pics... this are only some of the differences. Look at the quality of the insulator tips...

I will gather up the links about the fake toyota plugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is a lot of forums about the fake denso & toyota plugs online. Toyotanation.com has most of them.

See attached pics... this are only some of the differences. Look at the quality of the insulator tips...

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/index.html
Thanks for the response. I posted the same link for the Denso's on the previous 2 post. Thank you for psoting the NGKs.

There are fake ones too that comes in Toyota boxes. Mostly from ebay or Amazon.

Checkout Toyotanation.com. There are some members there that came across fake denso/toyota plugs that came with Toyota boxes.

·
Registered
450 Posts

I can't get the thumbnails to open. I've tried to look at the differences but it's really hard to tell what mine look like. Now I have no clue if mine are real or fake. I tried looking at the color of the metal electrode because in the pictures it's easy to see the difference because you know which one is fake and real. But trying to match the color when it's in my hand to the pictures is near impossible. What are the results of the fake plugs when using them? I just went on a 5300 mile trip in my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT and I had changed the plugs before I left. It ran great during the trip so I'm guessing that I got genuine plugs but maybe they were fake and will crap out after 10k miles.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

I can't get the thumbnails to open. I've tried to look at the differences but it's really hard to tell what mine look like. Now I have no clue if mine are real or fake. I tried looking at the color of the metal electrode because in the pictures it's easy to see the difference because you know which one is fake and real. But trying to match the color when it's in my hand to the pictures is near impossible. What are the results of the fake plugs when using them? I just went on a 5300 mile trip in my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT and I had changed the plugs before I left. It ran great during the trip so I'm guessing that I got genuine plugs but maybe they were fake and will crap out after 10k miles.
Below is the link on some of the discussion:

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/counterfeit-oem-spark-plugs.1582290/

I reattached some of the pics that came from toyotanation discussion. Compare the insulator of one of the plugs. One of them looks poor quality (one on top of toyota box).

Also, if the seller you bought the plugs from do not have negative reviews about the plugs, maybe yours is fine.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts