Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that Scion has determined that people are not interested in Sirius/XM and it is not offered in the head units.

Is this true?

If there a way to get it anyway (that isn’t a mess)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it'd be nice to have, but it's not necessary (for me). You replace the head unit with one that offered Srius/XM - I want to do that with a Pioneer App Radio, but I haven't seen any that work in the iM yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sirius XM streaming from your phone via Bluetooth audio however that means data usage. Clutter free I suppose but I guess the work around is getting an unrestricted data plan.

·
Registered
331 Posts
They have the Aha radio app... just as good as satellite radio. I have T-mobile so audio streaming is free from my cell phone and doesn't count towards data usage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pandora and such need data... I drive way beyond cell phone coverage very often. So satellite is important to me and plus I like it.

I have read that there is a way to add it to FRS head units where is is not offered.

Alternatively I could replace the head unit... But would like an easier way out.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The best alternatives are some type of streaming service from your phone. You just might have to alter your data plan a bit to make sure you either get unlimited for whatever streaming service you use, or a high enough data plan that you won't go over all the time.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The best alternatives are some type of streaming service from your phone. You just might have to alter your data plan a bit to make sure you either get unlimited for whatever streaming service you use, or a high enough data plan that you won't go over all the time.
You're going to be paying a lot to stream from your phone and using your phones data plan for that. And we all known phone plans aren't cheap, also how limited some are in data capacity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As already presented, we are often far from cell phone coverage so it is not a viable option.

Being able to add Sirius Satellite Radio to the installed head unit would be the best option for me. The FRS folks do it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would call around to a couple different well known distributors (Crutchfield, Sonix, etc.) and maybe even email Pioneer to see if there is an accessory add-on for the factory stereo. Otherwise, I think your only option will be to replace the head unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may be missing the obvious but wouldn't something like this work?SiriusXM Onyx Plus with Vehicle Kit - Shop - SiriusXM Radio
The only thing is it is the old way of satellite radio, with a separate controller for it, rather than controlled via the head unit. IT is clutter.

I think you end up with control not on the head unit but off in some other box, like in the original days of satellite radio, I had a huge box on a bracket . . annoying.

Then I see this:

Complete SiriusXM Install Kit for 2014 and up Factory Toyota, Scion Vehicles

The write up in kind of a mess, with a 2015 iM . . . but if I cannot get it in the head unit this might work and allow control via the head unti?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wrote about the above item and received this:

Dennis,

Sorry, but both the standard and upgraded audio package feature Pioneer AHA and are not compatible. I will be sure that our website is updated accordingly.

Thanks,

Ryan

So, I still haven't found a good fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently purchased a 2016 Scion I'm. I do not have the upgraded BeSpoke radio, just the regular stock radio (it does have Aha).
For the Sirius/XM connectivity, I purchased (through the dealership) a Vais Technology GSR-001 satellite radio interface. This is made for Toyota/Scion. I found the same unit on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/GSR-001-Satellite-Integration-2014-up-SXV-300/dp/B00M0TNW4A

After install, the XM works great, full integration. You get all of the same information (minus album art) on the stereo screen vs. a separate control unit. Everything can be controlled by the touchscreen and steering wheel controls.

The downside is:
- The satellite antennae must still be mounted somewhere on the vehicle (they could not tap into the factory antennae fin).
- The unit interfaces to the stereo via the USB input under the stereo console. The plug keeps the drop-down door from closing.

I might see if there is 90 degree USB male end adapter to use here, so that the door closes. They placed the antennae on the drivers-side/forward dash, which will be covered by a dash mat.

Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a rather old thread, but did you ever resolve your problem? I am purchasing an iA for my daughter and I know she adores her Sirius XM radio for the Forensic Files shows on HLN. I hate for her to lose that. But I don't know about the cost of streaming it as an app, or our rather spotty phone coverage living out in the country. I would feel much better if I could access a satellite and not have to rely on cell towers. But I also don't want to install an ugly portable radio that won't interface with her car's screen. What did you end up doing? Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts