Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First and foremost, Happy Thanksgiving to iM nation! All the best to you and your families.�� Ok, back to business.. Question to the manual iM owners out there.. Does anyone have an issue shifting from first to 2nd on their iMs? Here's my scenario.. Ok, i'm at a light.. i get it going on first - I rev it to 3k - i pushed the clutch to the floor- I shift - i let go of the clutch at the same time i give gas - but when i make the transition from first to 2nd and letting go off the clutch and give it gas- it jumps a little bit and it's not smooth and i loose acceleration which causes cars behind me get close and flashing their lights. I hope what I wrote makes sense.

FYI: Shifting to 3rd 4th 5th 6th I'm a pro. Obviously, because I have speed on the wheels.

I'm thinking since i live in a cold weather state.. the car is not warm enough even tho i warm it up to normal operating temp (halfway between C and H) Any ideas guys to get my first and 2nd gear smoother?? Thanks.

- RD

·
Registered
274 Posts
First and foremost, Happy Thanksgiving to iM nation! All the best to you and your families.�� Ok, back to business.. Question to the manual iM owners out there.. Does anyone have an issue shifting from first to 2nd on their iMs? Here's my scenario.. Ok, i'm at a light.. i get it going on first - I rev it to 3k - i pushed the clutch to the floor- I shift - i let go of the clutch at the same time i give gas - but when i make the transition from first to 2nd and letting go off the clutch and give it gas- it jumps a little bit and it's not smooth and i loose acceleration which causes cars behind me get close and flashing their lights. I hope what I wrote makes sense.

FYI: Shifting to 3rd 4th 5th 6th I'm a pro. Obviously, because I have speed on the wheels.

I'm thinking since i live in a cold weather state.. the car is not warm enough even tho i warm it up to normal operating temp (halfway between C and H) Any ideas guys to get my first and 2nd gear smoother?? Thanks.

- RD
I get the same thing in any weather. You just have to hold your clutch pedal a little longer while accelerating, that's the only way to avoid the jerk in my case. It probably wears down the clutch though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phew! Ok, glad I'm not the only one. Silly question.. by 'holding it' you mean hold the clutch right after i shift it? What about acceleration?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Phew! Ok, glad I'm not the only one. Silly question.. by 'holding it' you mean hold the clutch right after i shift it? What about acceleration?
You hold it while you start to accelerate. I also noticed that when you shift it into the 2nd gear, don't drop your clutch pedal right away, but rather hold it for a second. Then slowly let it go while giving it gas. Again, I am not a pro on how manual transmission wears out, so I may wear out my clutch disc by doing what I just described.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha. Alright, I'll try that. Thanks for the advice. Going from 1st to 2nd takes a bit of finesse so maybe i need to be slower on the clutch release. Release slowly for a second before a full release. I'll update this post once i figure it out #fightthejerk . I hope more people reply to this post with some suggestions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been driving manual transmissions for over 50 years, i have a slight problem taking off in first gear om the iM, not letting the clutch slip a little bit. But the transmission is smooth from first through the rest of the gears. When I was a 16 most of my friends used a automatic to take their very first driving test. My folks had nothing but stick shifts. I took my test in a 4 speed manual Volvo and passed the driving test the first time with a manual. I learned how to drive with a Chevy truck with a 3 speed on the steering column or as we called 3 on a tree.

CAD-Man

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have this issue too.. They geared this car stupid (I would have preferred 4.4xx) since it's got a puny engine with minimal torque = disaster

First thing I did was followed the tutorial here to adjust the clutch pedal.

When taking off..

-- I let the clutch slip a bit from dead stop (N -> 1) with gas
-- I get the tachometer to around 2500 rpm and keep my gas pedal constant (to reduce inertia) <-- Basically stop accelerating
-- Before I release the gas, I push the clutch in first <-- since I let the gas pedal smooth out before hand there's no jerking
-- Release gas shift from 1 -> 2
-- If I do this right the car will go from 2500 down to 2000 range and hit gear 2 perfectly
-- Otherwise I need to blip the throttle a tiny bit

If done perfectly I don't get the rocky motion and it's smooth

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just picked my '18 iM up today and aside from the long clutch play and "turkey baster" gear shift, I get a popping/click sound when I shift from 1st to 2nd. I happens both during the clutch engagement and release about halfway thru the clutch pedal travel. Seems to go away after car warms up/or I just don't hear it from the road noise etc. Car only has 30 miles on it so I hope it's some kind of linkage break-in issue. Anyone else notice the sound during shifting?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just picked my '18 iM up today and aside from the long clutch play and "turkey baster" gear shift, I get a popping/click sound when I shift from 1st to 2nd. I happens both during the clutch engagement and release about halfway thru the clutch pedal travel. Seems to go away after car warms up/or I just don't hear it from the road noise etc. Car only has 30 miles on it so I hope it's some kind of linkage break-in issue. Anyone else notice the sound during shifting?
I get normal vibration/almost silent clicks when the gear gets into the slot(?) I don't know what you call it, but Honda manual transmissions are somewhat soft, while our iM makes you feel every gear and its proper end position. Shifter is getting softer/broken-in after 30k miles, but small clicks/vibrations are still very present during shifting. So in my case it is normal, unless the sound you get is too loud.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shifter is getting softer/broken-in after 30k miles, but small clicks/vibrations are still very present during shifting. So in my case it is normal, unless the sound you get is too loud
Actually, popping sound was coming from left front wheel area not the console shifter/linkage. It was NOT present this AM when I went to work or this evening so I hope it was just that one time event leaving the dealership. Keep my radio off and listen for a few more days. Co-worker where I work also bought an iM last week and he hasn't heard a popping sound (but has also stalled it a few times getting used to the soft clutch and long throw)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Actually, popping sound was coming from left front wheel area not the console shifter/linkage. It was NOT present this AM when I went to work or this evening so I hope it was just that one time event leaving the dealership. Keep my radio off and listen for a few more days. Co-worker where I work also bought an iM last week and he hasn't heard a popping sound (but has also stalled it a few times getting used to the soft clutch and long throw)
That sounds like a defect and something abnormal. I would go see a dealer. I get stalled a few times a week and cannot avoid it, but it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Same here. It's just annoying when dealing with traffic situations. Another question.. At what RPM do you rev to and hold when you go into first gear? Every time, I start driving i hear a light grind on my take off.

I think, I've mastered the 1st to 2nd shift. It's official, the iM performs at it's best when it's warmed up for 30 Minutes or so at cold start especially when you live in a cold weather city. Temperature does matter for this car. If you turn it on and turn the heat on and set the heat to blow air to your feet, the clutch feels super light and crisp. If you don't warm it up enough.. The clutch feels like a rock and so does the shift lever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get the same thing in any weather. You just have to hold your clutch pedal a little longer while accelerating, that's the only way to avoid the jerk in my case. It probably wears down the clutch though.
Thank you for sharing. I thought I was such a terrible manual driver. I struggle a lot with going from first to second and then I started to add gas while letting go of the clutch on the second gears and it helps from being so jerky or slow down. But the car in front of me always accelerates much quicker than me no matter how much gas I add to the car. Is it normal that my second gear doesn't get me to 35mphs before the rev gets too high?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts