Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really liking the iM. I wasn't expecting the seat height to be as high and as good as my xB, but now I am worried it will be as low as a typical car. I would be happy if it were somewhere in between.

I visited it's "cousin" , the Lexus CT 200h last night. I noticed the hatch opening was only 24" high...not good. Hard to use the seating for comparison because it was heavily bolstered leather. Pictures make the iM seat look flatter which may be good because the seat center might be higher.

I guess we'll know in September, but I worried it won't work out for me. :(

·
Registered
238 Posts
I mean it is a hatchback, it is expected to be about as low as a sedan. Maybe slightly higher. You'll be able to tell when you test drive one.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey,
I found this great site! It is actually an accessibility site from the UK. It gives seat heights from the ground, etc. Toyota Auris 1.8 5dr hatch 2013 | Rica

It looks like the highest seat adjustment is only 1" lower than my xB! I think this is going to work!

Also have been on an Auris forum and found out that the hatch is 28" high and 41" wide....also better than I thought.

Now I am getting excited!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Those hatch dimensions seem great.
Even without specific dimensions, from what can be observed, we'll have sufficient space, it'll be the few that find it to be a problem at odd times.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey,
I found this great site! It is actually an accessibility site from the UK. It gives seat heights from the ground, etc. Toyota Auris 1.8 5dr hatch 2013 | Rica

It looks like the highest seat adjustment is only 1" lower than my xB! I think this is going to work!

Also have been on an Auris forum and found out that the hatch is 28" high and 41" wide....also better than I thought.

Now I am getting excited!

I should add a caveat here about that site. Since it is about accessibility, I believe it may be referring to the how high the bolstering is, "seat edge", than the actual sitting area of the cushion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any reason why you want to sit up high? Just wondering as I've never included seat height as something I look for in a car. Whenever I've changed cars, I have gotten used to the different feeling in a short period of time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any reason why you want to sit up high? Just wondering as I've never included seat height as something I look for in a car. Whenever I've changed cars, I have gotten used to the different feeling in a short period of time.
Just one of my most favorite features of my xB. :) Like it so much that it has spoiled me. I like that I can just step in and out of the car instead of dropping into and climbing out of it. Also helps when I transport disabled people.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have also been conversing with an Auris owner in the UK. Turns out the Auris seats are only 3/4" shorter than the xb at it's highest seat adjustment.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It definitely helps with driving in traffic. Sitting higher in my xB as well is nice as I don't have to drop down into my car. Basically I just sit and turn my legs in. But then again, I am old and my back hurts.:D

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It definitely helps with driving in traffic. Sitting higher in my xB as well is nice as I don't have to drop down into my car. Basically I just sit and turn my legs in. But then again, I am old and my back hurts.:D
That fits me too. My back gives me problems occasionally and really helps to not have to do the climb out routine

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Todd,
I got this guy who is attending the Grand rapids Event to take a picture of him sitting in the car with his feet on the ground to demonstrate seat height. Looks good!

·
Registered
312 Posts
That is promising. And I think that might be the one with TRD springs. I say that because it has the body side moldings and rear bumper protector accessories. I would imagine the ones without those were stock and the ones with had the springs and intake parts.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like that it is neither too low to the ground nor too high up. That in between height seems as though it will be just right. Being a youngin, I am not too concerned with the ride height as far as getting in and out, its more a matter of the driving experience for me.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Being basically a Corolla wagon/hatch, as more details come out as to what it's like, how different or similar in height and weight is it is what i'll be on the look out for.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Being basically a Corolla wagon/hatch, as more details come out as to what it's like, how different or similar in height and weight is it is what i'll be on the look out for.
Well technically speaking, the iM isn't a Corolla, but instead it is an adaption of the Auris platform. It is not the same platform as the US Corolla. Gets confusing because the Auris in Australia is called a Corolla. In a couple of years Toyota will be making more cars with the same platform, so heights, etc. will be more standardized. The iM will be basically the same as the Corolla then.

The research I have done has determined that the seating is higher in an Auris than a Corolla.

As you said, we won't know how it's fits for us until we actually get to sit in one.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is promising. And I think that might be the one with TRD springs. I say that because it has the body side moldings and rear bumper protector accessories. I would imagine the ones without those were stock and the ones with had the springs and intake parts.

I don't think the bumper protector and body side molding are tied to TRD performance parts. I think they are just accessories and not part of a package.

·
Registered
312 Posts
No, I don't think it is a package deal, I just think they would have all options or all stock cars there. I have only heard of the putting on the bsm's, rear protector, springs, and intake for the test cars. I wouldn't think they would have had the bsm's and not the springs.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
No, I don't think it is a package deal, I just think they would have all options or all stock cars there. I have only heard of the putting on the bsm's, rear protector, springs, and intake for the test cars. I wouldn't think they would have had the bsm's and not the springs.
That is a good point. They may have loaded up certain cars with accessories and left others stock.
The one place where that doesn't fit is when MotoMan drives a Spring Green iM with side moldings. During that drive, he mentions that coil overs in the back would help alleviate the roll he is experiencing during that drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlMfq1VDpAI

side note.....some of the video is stock footage and not the car he is driving, but where he is discussing some details outside the car is in location he has driven to, so those are "live" pictures with an actual car he has driven.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts