Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scion executives and customers were both excited at the prospect of more FR-S model variants. That could have included a convertible or turbocharged variant.

Unfortunately Toyota has not made a business case for either proposal. Development costs are said to be too high for what the uptick in sales would be.

"I think we were pretty aggressive on our (submitted plan), but we looked at what we would have conceivably lost on the [convertible] and said, 'We're not going to even push it further,'" Murtha told Wards Auto in a recent interview, adding that the rumored turbocharged edition is "not something that's coming."
Scion has released a FR-S Release Series 1.0, which has some ascetic tweaks and lowered suspension. That model costs $5,000 more than the base model.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That's unfortunate, i know a lot of folks were looking forward to a boosted FR-S that would give them the extra bit of power they felt the FR-S needed to be better.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is disappointing for those who were interested, but I kinda agree that creating that model likely wouldn't result in enough sales to justify it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It's more of something that would be done with respect to enthusiasts which at this point they don't have room for.

Once they get volume up they might be more likely to do such things.

·
Registered
219 Posts
people who complain the 86 doesnt have enough power don't understand what the 86 is supposed to be. It was always gutless and torqueless, but it drove like it was on rails. The new one isn't much different and it shouldn't be.

Good on you Toyota, don't cave to the cacophony...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Exactly.

The 86/FR-S lived up to what the 86 was all about.
People who really want more out of it will go about adding forced induction, i know it's something i'd do once warranty is up.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Exactly.

The 86/FR-S lived up to what the 86 was all about.
People who really want more out of it will go about adding forced induction, i know it's something i'd do once warranty is up.
Buy a Bigger Car. MSRP plus, what, easily $10K in mods (at the low end) would net you a used Vette, new Mustang GT, 370Z...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buy a Bigger Car. MSRP plus, what, easily $10K in mods (at the low end) would net you a used Vette, new Mustang GT, 370Z...
I'd probably just buy a bigger car, but if you want to put some work into a car that's fine too. Lots of people find the fun thing about performance cars like this is making mods to them. I know quite a few people who spend all their extra money doing things to their cars.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'd probably just buy a bigger car, but if you want to put some work into a car that's fine too. Lots of people find the fun thing about performance cars like this is making mods to them. I know quite a few people who spend all their extra money doing things to their cars.
Good for them, I didn't say it wasn't fine to to work on your car, my point being that there needs be logic present. If you're pouring money into performance upgrades but the total amount of money you've spent on the car plus parts is more than the cost of buying a faster car then you've failed as an economic actor...

·
Registered
363 Posts
That's another and better way to go about it.
This way you have the performance you actually want, all covered under warranty, all covered under insurance, etc.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Good for them, I didn't say it wasn't fine to to work on your car, my point being that there needs be logic present. If you're pouring money into performance upgrades but the total amount of money you've spent on the car plus parts is more than the cost of buying a faster car then you've failed as an economic actor...
a mistake a lot of people make, but that's followed by not being as well informed about what they're buying, then dealing with those issues by throwing mods on to fill the need.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some people also like to take the modification route because then they can get the car and slowly do modifications over time instead of having to buy it all at the same time. It also gives them more room for customization as well as the option to be more hands on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts