Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scion had another disappointing month in April. Sales dropped 20% compared to sales in April of 2014. In real numbers, that means that Scion sold just 4,300 units.

Overall for 2015 so far, Scion has delivered 16,000 units, which is a 17.9% drop when compared to the same time frame in 2014.

Scion is attempting to reverse this trend with the introduction of new models. The iM will be the first, followed by the iA, and then the iR which we don't know too much about right now, but it will likely be a rebadged Toyota Aygo.

Hopefully these models will be able to reverse the brand's fortunes.

·
Registered
432 Posts
More of what we know. Scion is trying to get its act together though. That's what its big new model push is for. THings will have to get comparatively better with the release of some new models.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The real interesting thing to see will be what sales will look like once the new models come out. I think its less about the state of sales now and more about the rebound plan that they have.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The real interesting thing to see will be what sales will look like once the new models come out. I think its less about the state of sales now and more about the rebound plan that they have.
It's bound to be stronger than most Scion products before it, or at least that's what I think of it, buyer volume proof in other markets helps to an extent.

Seems like there was always some sort of demand for a Corolla hatch, now that it's here as the iM... we'll have to keep an close eye on it!

·
Registered
432 Posts
MAzda just said they are stopping selling the Mazda2 (Scion iA). They cite declining sales. It just makes me question how successful the iA can be. Is it starting off on the wrong foot?

·
Registered
661 Posts
But you also have to consider the fact that if Mazda made a good move or not, they might be a big player in the game but even big time players make the wrong shots.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But you also have to consider the fact that if Mazda made a good move or not, they might be a big player in the game but even big time players make the wrong shots.
Obviously part of Mazda's decision was to do with the Scion iM being a thing. It wouldn't make a ton of sense to give the model to Scion and then continue to sell the Mazda2. They'd just be competing against themselves. It would totally come down to pricing.

They probably gave the models to Scion since they knew they didn't want to sell it any more. It's all part of the strategy. Now I'm just wondering what Mazda gets in return from Toyota.

·
Registered
219 Posts
its also masking the fact that there are models on the way out. Consumers will often shun the outgoing model once its replacement has been shown. Its a perfect storm right now making scion look like their in dire straits...

·
Registered
101 Posts
The iM will be the first, followed by the iA, and then the iR which we don't know too much about right now, but it will likely be a rebadged Toyota Aygo.
By Scion iR, do you mean Scion iX? This is the first I have heard of "iR". I thought it was to be Scion iX.

·
Registered
661 Posts
By Scion iR, do you mean Scion iX? This is the first I have heard of "iR". I thought it was to be Scion iX.
That's probably what he means from what i'm guessing, since there hasn't been any other models Scion spoke about for the future... to my knowledge.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't see why Scion can't have the iA (Mazda 2 sedan) and Mazda can't sell the hatchback version. I would think the hatch could fit into the Fiesta, Spark, Fit category.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't see why Scion can't have the iA (Mazda 2 sedan) and Mazda can't sell the hatchback version. I would think the hatch could fit into the Fiesta, Spark, Fit category.
Good point.

Those hatches have a strong enough presence on the road, strong enough for another well established brand to slot their hatch into.

There's a chance they don't yet see the potential in that category and want to wait for further growth, meanwhile moving their efforts elsewhere more important.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hatches just don't sell that well in NA. I think that Mazda is likely going to concentrate those resources somewhere else where they believe that they will be able to make a bigger return.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hatches just don't sell that well in NA. I think that Mazda is likely going to concentrate those resources somewhere else where they believe that they will be able to make a bigger return.

x2. I'd guess that Mazda ran the numbers and concluded that a hatch-only Mazda 2 model line would not generate enough sales to justify the investment.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hatches just don't sell that well in NA.
I think I would have to disagree with this statement. I haven't seen any numbers, so I have no proof to back anything up, but I see a lot of fits, fiestas, focus', sparks, etc. on the roads here in Iowa. Also the VW Golf was named NA car of the year and I would imagine that would at least spark interest in the segment.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I haven't seen any numbers either but do remember seeing it mentioned that when compared to the euro market, there's a big difference, one of the reasons making that difference is the lack of interest in them from americans.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Perhaps its not that they don't sell well here, but comparatively to Europe and other segments here, hatches aren't the best sellers.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Perhaps its not that they don't sell well here, but comparatively to Europe and other segments here, hatches aren't the best sellers.
Even when broken down like that, thinning out the availability and eventually getting rid of it won't do much harm with all the other options that are just as good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts