Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the few "custom" accessories for our iM's is the GPS from Toyota. I'm assuming it is a plug in hardware part inside the dash somewhere or a transfer of data to the head unit to have all maps, voices, etc. available at anytime. It retails for $900 from the dealership! Did anyone purchase this and have it installed at the dealership? Or know anything about it or where to get it cheaper?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Someone I know wanted to get it but later decided to get a tablet to have displayed, for them it just worked out better.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Why buy that when you could use Waze or GoogleMaps on your smartphone? There is no way that navigation software is better than GoogleMaps, and GoogleMaps is free as long as you have a smartphone to use it on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Josh,

The item is called "Premium Audio", part number PT296-12160 (Extension Module w/ AHA). It's an add-on that fits just under the factory stereo (inside). This converts your factory stereo into a BeSpoke™. I looked into it as well, they told me $900. I will just use Siri instead.

Jeff

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hello Josh,

The item is called "Premium Audio", part number PT296-12160 (Extension Module w/ AHA). It's an add-on that fits just under the factory stereo (inside). This converts your factory stereo into a BeSpoke™. I looked into it as well, they told me $900. I will just use Siri instead.

Jeff
Is there any realy benefit to this system over your phone? Its pretty expensive so what is the value proposition?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Come to think about it for $900 I rather get a tablet and data plan for it, Google maps on that will be even better plus it's a tablet aka... multi purpose.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's a little hard to grasp how given the proliferation of smart phones and Google maps being a free service that has a better maps program than any other system out there, how car companies can sell navigation systems for these prices. And it is more perplexing why people buy them. I seriously do not get it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the benefit, though still not worth $900 is that you will have all the maps and voice "offline" or "off the grid" if you prefer. Some people don't like using their GPS on their phone. I'm really not sure honestly, that's my guess.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think the benefit, though still not worth $900 is that you will have all the maps and voice "offline" or "off the grid" if you prefer. Some people don't like using their GPS on their phone. I'm really not sure honestly, that's my guess.
Only downside I can see with that is running your data plan up, but an easy solution to that is to plan it all out on your phone and make note of how to get where you have to go. That way you won't need to always be connected.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am ok with having a big data plan. Its nice to not have to be concerned with getting overage charges. The tracking thing could be a concern if you are a criminal, or secret agent, but honestly, Google/Apple basically always knows where you are. Any time a signal comes or goes from your phone it knows.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello Josh,

Jeff
In Toyota technical terms this module is called Extension Box. In the the post production option kit along with the extension box comes a few other parts, such as GPS antenna wire harness that is installed under the upper IP panel, a wire harness that connects the extension box to the head unit.

The bottom line is that for the huge amount of money all you get is the Navi. Your sound system is the same as base, the speakers are the same as base. To me definitely not worth the money.

Having said that, if anyone knows the part number for the extension box and the pig tail connecting it to the head unit, could you please post it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toyota Part Number: PT296-12160
This is the actual toyota part number for the extension module + wire connections. Cheapest i've seen it anywhere was $750, but that was ebay i think.

Here is the device itself:

Harman "Extension Module"
FCC ID: QNG-BE2808
https://fccid.io/QNG-BE2808

If you google by the FCC ID there is a website(cars-equipment.com) selling it for 130 euros (about $150 USD)
not sure if it comes with all the wires to connect it properly or not. Also not sure if they'll ship to U.S.

I dont really want to be the one to test the waters.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Come to think about it for $900 I rather get a tablet and data plan for it, Google maps on that will be even better plus it's a tablet aka... multi purpose.
Just make sure the one you're getting has a GPS.

Also, check out Automate. It's an app that essentially mimics the functionalities of Android Auto.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The bottom line is that for the huge amount of money all you get is the Navi. Your sound system is the same as base, the speakers are the same as base. To me definitely not worth the money.
Your definitely better off buying an aftermarket unit with all the tech. Toyota is fighting off right now, like CarPlay and Android Auto.

Yes, fighting off, they don't want either Google or Apple dictating infotainment.

Or even cheaper, get a tablet and the appropriate adapters and mount it as a head unit. Plenty of people have been doing it with the last two generations of Nexus 7s. The proper tablet right now would likely be the Nvidia Shield, though.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Anyone already considering a tablet should also consider getting a Microsoft Surface, it's basically a tablet running Windows, which to some that's a big deal, to others not so much. So what better than a PC on the go that serves the sort of purposes mentioned here!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am ok with having a big data plan. Its nice to not have to be concerned with getting overage charges. The tracking thing could be a concern if you are a criminal, or secret agent, but honestly, Google/Apple basically always knows where you are. Any time a signal comes or goes from your phone it knows.
It seems strange, but so many people don't know about HERE maps by Nokia, just renamed into HERE We Go. It allows you to download entire map of any country into your phone and then turn off your wireless traffic. At that point your phone becomes a Garmin-like GPS and it will work the same way. Downloaded HERE maps can be updated at any time free of charge, I usually do it at home using my Wi-Fi about once a month. It is available for both iPhone and Android. The interface is a bit bland compared to Google, but it works really well and it does not eat up phone traffic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
google maps now has offline maps, you download a giant area onto your phone and have GPS anywhere without using data. that's how i go camping because i lose reception in parts of wisconsin, so i have all of northern illinois and half of wisconsin downloaded and never have issues getting directions places. that's how i had GPS on my tablet in my other car without using any data.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
google maps now has offline maps, you download a giant area onto your phone and have GPS anywhere without using data. that's how i go camping because i lose reception in parts of wisconsin, so i have all of northern illinois and half of wisconsin downloaded and never have issues getting directions places. that's how i had GPS on my tablet in my other car without using any data.
The last couple of long trips we did the same thing

1 - 20 of 24 Posts