Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here is a YouTube video that shows a Scion iM / Toyota Auris looking vehicle test driving on interstate 405 North in Orange County, California. I'm not sure if this concept shows us much since it is heavily camouflaged though :(

Let me know if you can see anything interesting about the iM from this video. I can't spot much.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ah more marketing. Realistically the car does not NEED testing, and the car is not a secret as its been on the world market for what, 2 years? If they let it go tooling around uncammoed I'll wager 97% of the population doesn't notice or thinks its an Elantra Hatch (actually every time I see a new Elantra Hatch I go iM?), so ergo camo it, trip out the soccer mommies and jalopnik brigade, smartphones at the ready, 1,2,3, this is how PR is made ;):D

·
Registered
661 Posts
Got to love this marketing of theirs, little effort involved to make those ill-informed on the interwebz talk about it.

cough cough... toyota auris... cough cough.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Differences between the Auris and the iM ill be minimal. I do agree that this is mostly to generate buzz. I mean what are they actually hiding with that camo. Surely there is nothing ground breaking hiding under there.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its kinda funny when you think about it that way. The car without camouflage probably wouldn't get much attention at all, but when you cover the whole thing up all the sudden everybody is taking pictures and following it around.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Its kinda funny when you think about it that way. The car without camouflage probably wouldn't get much attention at all, but when you cover the whole thing up all the sudden everybody is taking pictures and following it around.
Of course because then people see what it's about and don't pay much attention to the details as there probably wasn't any hype that followed it.

In doing this they build hype, get people talking, etc....ultimately to give this vehicle a nice boost in attention.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not just Scion that does this either. I have seen many mules out in camouflage after they have already been fully revealed at an auto show. I guess that is usually to test out another version of the vehicle, but there isn't really any reason why you need camouflage on the mule anymore. I remember seeing a Jaguar XE mule in the news recently with camouflage, but we already know what it looks like. Do you think it is always for hype or do they do this for any other reason that you can think of?

·
Registered
363 Posts
although we've seen it in full as the toyota auris....

what design differences could there possibly be from the auris to the im?

·
Registered
432 Posts
those wheels look better than actual ones!
Really? Those wheels look like so many other aftermarket wheels. I love the OEM wheels that come on the iM. When I first saw them on a Scion iM I was blown away by how cool they looked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts