Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sneaking suspicion we could see the iM rolling off assembly lines in Cambridge, Ontario.

Fact 1, Cambridge is one of the NA homes of the Corolla, ok good.

Fact 2, Cambridge WAS the home of recently killed Toyota Matrix

A 2014 model was still offered for The Canadian market, with those assembled in Cambridge, Ontario by Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada.[citation needed]. The Matrix was then discontinued in Canada, and no 2015 model was offered
So considering the low volumes Scion typically generates I think we can make a safe assumption that Cambridge can and will handle iM production, that is unless they want to roll the excess capacity into Corolla production?

·
Registered
363 Posts
That would make sense considering those factors.
I was thinking that maybe they would stick to producing it where the Auris is already being produced.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would make sense considering those factors.
I was thinking that maybe they would stick to producing it where the Auris is already being produced.

Its produced in Japan at Toyota City for Asian markets and in the UK at Burnaston for Euro markets. I don't think it makes sense for them to simply import it, perhaps from Japan as they've done that in the past, but especially if Cambridge now has excess capacity I think its logical for them to produce it on this side of the puddle...

·
Registered
432 Posts
If that Toyota factory already has capacity available, I think it makes perfect sense. I'm not sure if Toyota cares that much about peoples' jobs, but I'm sure the factory workers in Cambridge would like to see the factory run at full steam and not take a cut. A

Are they going to sell the iM worldwide, or is it just for North America? I just wonder if the would save some money on shipping costs by producing it in North America rather than somewhere overseas.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I agree.

No reason not to make use of that north american facility, it just makes things that much easier for them having these produced just north of the boarder instead of across the sea.

Not sure where else scion vehicles are sold but as far as i know it seems to be a north american-only brand, or at least that's how it started.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If that Toyota factory already has capacity available, I think it makes perfect sense. I'm not sure if Toyota cares that much about peoples' jobs, but I'm sure the factory workers in Cambridge would like to see the factory run at full steam and not take a cut. A

Are they going to sell the iM worldwide, or is it just for North America? I just wonder if the would save some money on shipping costs by producing it in North America rather than somewhere overseas.
Does Scion exist outside of North America ;)

We've been over this, the iM is the world market Auris...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Doesn't it make more sense to build it in North America then so you don't have to ship everything over here from another continent?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not necessarily though. As far as I know everything Scion sells is imported from outside of NA. If the cost of production plus shipping is lower than production in the home market because of say CApEx and labour costs then it makes sense to import...

But if they have extra capacity like in this case then ostensibly it makes more sense to produce here. Especially because of the inherant similarities between Corolla and Auris (iM)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well given that Scion is only active in North America, I think it would make more sense to build them in UK instead of Japan. ONtario seems most likely though.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well given that Scion is only active in North America, I think it would make more sense to build them in UK instead of Japan. ONtario seems most likely though.
I would agree, considering there cant be much needed to change tooling over from Matrix to Auris (iM)

·
Registered
661 Posts
^ Good point.

Plus the auris isn't anything special which should make tooling transition even easier for the long term.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts