Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

People love the FR-S, but sales has been slipping. One theory behind that is that everyone who wants one already has it, and andother is that the FR-S simply doesn't have enough horsepower to please the crowd that it is aiming for.

Scion is looking to inject some excitement into the model by releasing a FR-S Release Series 2.0. It is a limited edition of the FR-S that will only have 1,000 built.

The Release Series 2.0 is fitted with “luxurious appointments and premium features” such as black microsuede-upholstered seats and uplevel camel-colored trim on the armrests and door panels. It also packs additional equipment such as dual-zone air conditioning, HID xenon headlights, and a keyless ignition with push-button start. Outside, the Release Series 2.0 is denoted by its Lunar Storm paint, special 17-inch wheels, and front and rear spoilers.

All that exclusivity and extra features come at a price. The price of the Release Series 2.0 takes the price from $26,895 to $30,305.

It ups the ante in many ways, but notably absent from the upgrades to this limited edition model is any increase in horsepower or performance.

Scion Announces FR-S Release Series 2.0 ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

·
Registered
312 Posts
I love the look of the fr-s, the only drawback I have is the rear wheel drive. Living in Iowa, I have grown accustomed to front/all wheel drive cars. If I still lived in Oklahoma I might be more inclined to purchase one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the FR-S is losing because it's performance isn't up to par with their competitors why not upgrade it's hp?
I suppose you'd have to ask Scion/Toyota that. They must have a reason though. Perhaps cost. Perhaps cannibalization of another model. Perhaps they are waiting to put a bigger engine in in a next-generation model but still wanted to offer something up to boost sales right now.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If the FR-S is losing because it's performance isn't up to par with their competitors why not upgrade it's hp?
The motor was a joint venture with Subaru. It's the Subaru FA20 direct injection boxer motor. Both Subaru and Toyota came to terms when designing the car and because there is both a Subaru and Scion model do not want to compete with each other performance wise in the drivetrain. There is a massive aftermarket for the FR-S though with screw driven and spline drive superchargers, and multiple aftermarket turbo kits available. The power to weight ration is very good in this car as well, and even though it may only be 200 horsepower from the factory it puts down 185 to the wheels on a dyno with just a test pipe, exhaust, and intake. There are multiple drivers who have cracked into 14 second 1/4 mile times in complete stock form (no weight reduction no performance mods). There are tons of modified still naturally aspirated guys in the low to mid 13's, and forced induction cars hitting 10's

·
Registered
312 Posts
I haven't heard a lot of people saying the Miata needs more power. It only has 155-167. But it is lighter and more balanced than competitors. I think the fr-s/brz/gt86 has the right amount of power. The people that buy one and want more hp are the people that would be already be looking at aftermarket anyway. If they added the higher hp, the price would go up and those that had thought of getting one wouldn't at the higher price. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I haven't heard a lot of people saying the Miata needs more power. It only has 155-167. But it is lighter and more balanced than competitors. I think the fr-s/brz/gt86 has the right amount of power. The people that buy one and want more hp are the people that would be already be looking at aftermarket anyway. If they added the higher hp, the price would go up and those that had thought of getting one wouldn't at the higher price. Just my $0.02.
And that point I bet the price is at a level where it just makes more sense to buy something that comes with a more powerful engine in the first place. Same can be said of why they don't upgrade the hp in the FR-S. That causes the price to go up, and then they are competing with a whole different set of vehicles.

·
Registered
331 Posts
And now I read this from a couple days ago - Toyota 86 to pack more punch
This has actually been a rumor for a while. That Subaru will discontinue the BRZ completely, and Scion / Toyota will continue and partner with BMW for the next engine / drivetrain for the car. The current FA20 however will not be getting any power boosts of any kind from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wonder why Subaru didn't want to continue? Or maybe Toyota didn't want to continue with them...

·
Registered
661 Posts
This has actually been a rumor for a while. That Subaru will discontinue the BRZ completely, and Scion / Toyota will continue and partner with BMW for the next engine / drivetrain for the car. The current FA20 however will not be getting any power boosts of any kind from the manufacturer.
Subaru just better end it off in a way that makes an impact. They did show a BRZ STi Concept and as you can guess everyone was drooling over it... now they need to throw a VIN and MSRP on it ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
gizmag.com just released a review of the 2016 Scion FR-S. Is it the same as the Scion FR-S Release Series 2.0?

The one they tested out was fitted with a 2.0-liter horizontally-opposed four-cylinder engine providing an output of 200 hp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts