Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I see my Toyo OEM tires are starting to show signs of wear. I hope to get another year out of them before I get a set of new tires. Therefore, it would be great to have a general topic about alternatives to Toyo.

I think our OEM Toyo tires are great, they handle well and look good. I am thinking about going with Goodyear or Hankook just to try something new. I had Cooper tires twice on my previous cars and both times there were very good.

There are probably many people here that replaced their rims and tires, so it would be great to get some feedback, such as:

- Tire name, size, miles driven, impressions

- Pictures

Reactions: florvono

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I researched cheaper replacement options for all-weather tires in OEM size. My search is now narrowed down to a few options: Cooper Ultra CS5, Nexen N'Priz, Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ, Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2/Kinergy GT, General Altimax/G-Max, Nitto Neo Gen/Motivo, Toyo Versado.

All of them seem to be good options, all of them are $80-100 per tire, Toyo Versado is $130. Hankooks are now made in the U.S. Nitto is owned by Toyo, also made in the U.S. Nokian tires is going to build a U.S. factory as well.

Best prices for tires with free delivery: Amazon and Walmart.

Our stock Toyo Proxes are great. They are getting very slippery when it rains though. It is truly the only reason I want them replaced. They are around $120 per tire on Amazon.

Nitto seems to get the same bad hype about being slippery in wet conditions and faster wear issues. Reviews seem to be OK about all of the other tires.

Reactions: IM Matt

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have had great results with Discount Tire Direct
+1

They always have the best price and service and can get just about any brand of tire. And if you buy when they have a sale like they just did over Labor Day you can get back a $160 rebate.

Just don't ever buy cheap, crappy tires. The tires are the only thing touching the ground and can make a huge difference in braking distance, steering and handling. If you live in an area that gets a winter with temps that stay under 45F you are much better off getting a set of winter tires and a good set of high performance summer tires or high performance A/S tires for the other 3 seasons.

Reactions: IM Matt and stvotw

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have had great results with Discount Tire Direct
+1

They always have the best price and service and can get just about any brand of tire. And if you buy when they have a sale like they just did over Labor Day you can get back a $160 rebate.

Just don't ever buy cheap, crappy tires. The tires are the only thing touching the ground and can make a huge difference in braking distance, steering and handling. If you live in an area that gets a winter with temps that stay under 45F you are much better off getting a set of winter tires and a good set of high performance summer tires or high performance A/S tires for the other 3 seasons.
Totally agree

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I did some more research. It looks like tire market is owned by just a few big players:

Michelin (Uniroyal, BFGoodrich)
Continental (General Tire)
Bridgestone (Firestone)
Goodyear (Dunlop, Kelly)

Mid-size players:
Cooper
Nokian Tyres
Toyo (Nitto) - our OEM tire
Yokohama
Sumitomo (Falken, Ohtsu)
Nexen
Hankook
Kumho

Cheaper tires: Nexen and Hankook are definitely great choices as well as Kumho. Falken is also praised by many reviewers. Cooper Zeon RS-G1 seems to be an all-around champion in performance category and it costs around $108 per tire. However, I want to stick to something more mainstream and stay in the medium price range. So my 3 top picks right now:

1. BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S All-Season 225/45ZR17/XL 94W

2. Toyo Versado Noir Touring 225/45-17 94H

3. General G-Max AS-05 Performance Radial Tire - 225/45R17 91W

My goal is to get more comfort and better wet traction, I don't care as much about cornering. So far Toyo Versado Noir seems to be the best pick for comfort.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Amazon had a great price on Toyo Versado Noir combined with free shipping, they were around $114 per tire. I ordered 4 of them. Since they are H-rated Costco refused to install them, they told me I need to have V-rated or higher since that's the speed of our stock tires. I will be going to another shop some time this weekend to get them installed. H-rated Versado Noir comes with 75,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Amazon had a great price on Toyo Versado Noir combined with free shipping, they were around $114 per tire. I ordered 4 of them. Since they are H-rated Costco refused to install them, they told me I need to have V-rated or higher since that's the speed of our stock tires. I will be going to another shop some time this weekend to get them installed. H-rated Versado Noir comes with 75,000 mile warranty.
I love Amazon but buying tires from the gives you no good and quick way for support should you need it. If you buy from a large chain like Discount Tire they have stores all over the place should you need service. They will also beat any other price including Amazon! I've used them for the past 35 years and received nothing but excellent service and always the best price.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I love Amazon but buying tires from the gives you no good and quick way for support should you need it. If you buy from a large chain like Discount Tire they have stores all over the place should you need service. They will also beat any other price including Amazon! I've used them for the past 35 years and received nothing but excellent service and always the best price.
I agree, I did risk it when I ordered on Amazon. There are two issues with Discount Tire:

1. They do not sell Toyo tires at all

2. They charge for shipping and it is not cheap.

As far as the tires go. I had them installed today at my local Firestone. Total install was around $108, tax included. My first impressions: they are much less noisy than our stock Proxes 4 Plus B, they ride slightly more plush and planted, definitely more smooth. Cornering is somewhat improved, but I can feel a bit of a body roll in the rear. Steering feels super light, possibly because they did not break in yet. Overall they feel like a luxury version of Proxes.

I plan on keeping them. If they last me at least 50,000 miles, I will be happy. The only other tire I was considering recently was Michelin Premier A/S. The best deal for Premiers was my local Costco - $156 per tire with their special discount. Original price on Versado Noir was $138 per tire, I think $114 per tire for Versado Noir was a good deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree, I did risk it when I ordered on Amazon. There are two issues with Discount Tire:

1. They do not sell Toyo tires at all

2. They charge for shipping and it is not cheap.

As far as the tires go. I had them installed today at my local Firestone. Total install was around $108, tax included. My first impressions: they are much less noisy than our stock Proxes 4 Plus B, they ride slightly more plush and planted, definitely more smooth. Cornering is somewhat improved, but I can feel a bit of a body roll in the rear. Steering feels super light, possibly because they did not break in yet. Overall they feel like a luxury version of Proxes.

I plan on keeping them. If they last me at least 50,000 miles, I will be happy. The only other tire I was considering recently was Michelin Premier A/S. The best deal for Premiers was my local Costco - $156 per tire with their special discount. Original price on Versado Noir was $138 per tire, I think $114 per tire for Versado Noir was a good deal.
I'm not a big fan of Toyo tires. I don't think they are nearly as good as they used to be many years ago. There are a lot of higher rated tires I would look at before Toyo.

My local Discount Tires and Discount Tire Direct have never charged me shipping for any tire I've wanted, even if they don't have it in stock and have to order it. Tirerack does but never DT.

I love my Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S3 as they stick like glue. I've never experienced a tire like this before and they are amazing. The BF Goodrich g-Force Comp 2 A/S also looks like an amazing tire for around what your Toyo tires cost.

Good luck with the new tires. Keep us posted on how you like them. :)

Reactions: IM Matt and stvotw

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not a big fan of Toyo tires. I don't think they are nearly as good as they used to be many years ago. There are a lot of higher rated tires I would look at before Toyo.

My local Discount Tires and Discount Tire Direct have never charged me shipping for any tire I've wanted, even if they don't have it in stock and have to order it. Tirerack does but never DT.

I love my Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S3 as they stick like glue. I've never experienced a tire like this before and they are amazing. The BF Goodrich g-Force Comp 2 A/S also looks like an amazing tire for around what your Toyo tires cost.

Good luck with the new tires. Keep us posted on how you like them. :)
I spent a long time researching all kinds of tires. I was looking specifically for luxury touring tires, not ultra high performance. Versado Noir seems to be one of the best for cheaper touring tires, people praise its plush stable ride and good wet performance. Many people compare it to Michelin. BF Goodrich g-Force Comp 2 A/S had really good reviews, but I hated its super aggressive sidewall, it is in the same price category with Versado Noir. When I sell my iM or get a new set of tires down the road, I will pick Michelin Premier. I have to say I really loved my stock Proxes tires, they just wore off a little fast and they were very slippery in the rain. I had about 28,000 miles on them, I could get another 7,000 miles out of them easily, if I lived down south.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I just took advantage of the Toyota tire sale this past month. Pulled the trigger on a set of Continental DWS 06 for $588 out-the-door installed. Looking forward having this installed on Monday!
That's a really good price for Continental tires. Please comment after you get them installed, I wonder how good they are.

Update on my Versado Noir: I took a longer trip today, including some curvy back roads. I could definitely feel where these tires lack: they do not hold the road on extreme high speed curves, but I am talking borderline extreme curves 20-30 miles above recommended speed limit. There also could be a chance they did not break in yet. Stopping performance is about 30% better, I only press my brake pedal about half way compared to what I was used to with the Proxes. Acceleration is also very smooth and gradual, I do not feel any jerkiness.

I had my first rain today, excellent performance. They do not slide, do not hydroplane, even when driving through deep puddles.

Versados are so comfortable, I feel like I am riding a pillow. My car now reminds of Lexus or Cadillac, very smooth and quiet. If I get too bored, I may get something else

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's a really good price for Continental tires. Please comment after you get them installed, I wonder how good they are.

Update on my Versado Noir: I took a longer trip today, including some curvy back roads. I could definitely feel where these tires lack: they do not hold the road on extreme high speed curves, but I am talking borderline extreme curves 20-30 miles above recommended speed limit. There also could be a chance they did not break in yet. Stopping performance is about 30% better, I only press my brake pedal about half way compared to what I was used to with the Proxes. Acceleration is also very smooth and gradual, I do not feel any jerkiness.

I had my first rain today, excellent performance. They do not slide, do not hydroplane, even when driving through deep puddles.

Versados are so comfortable, I feel like I am riding a pillow. My car now reminds of Lexus or Cadillac, very smooth and quiet. If I get too bored, I may get something else
Sure thing. I'm curious to see how they feel on wet and snowy surfaces.

The Toyo's felt floating and that the car would slide but it seems to have a decent grip. Same in snow/slush but worked out fine. I guess it is normal to feel that way after a nice summer :laugh:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

The Toyo's felt floating and that the car would slide but it seems to have a decent grip. Same in snow/slush but worked out fine. I guess it is normal to feel that way after a nice summer :laugh:
Did you actually try Versado Noirs? Yes, I feel the same thing. They float too much, a bit unpredictable and steering barely has any feedback. So I will most likely get another set of tires and return these. I do love their comfort, but I need something a bit more stable. I also start to miss my cornering that I had with stock Proxes.

Now I am debating between Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, Nitto Motivo - it looks like our stock Proxes (probably just a name change), and Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 H452.

·
Registered
432 Posts

If you get snow and regular temps below 45F during the winter you would be much better off getting a set of winter tires for the colder months. A/S tires are good for 3 seasons but not winter snow.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did you actually try Versado Noirs? Yes, I feel the same thing. They float too much, a bit unpredictable and steering barely has any feedback. So I will most likely get another set of tires and return these. I do love their comfort, but I need something a bit more stable. I also start to miss my cornering that I had with stock Proxes.

Now I am debating between Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, Nitto Motivo - it looks like our stock Proxes (probably just a name change), and Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 H452.
No, I haven't tried the Versado Noirs. From your list, I think your next best bet would be the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Try researching on tire rack for reviews on that.

Alright, finally got it installed last night. So far, I'm pleased with Toyota that it comes with a road hazard warranty for 2 years; Free replacement of the tire within 1 year and 50% off on the 2nd year. Since I'm keeping my Toyo's which has still good enough thread for summer, planning to swap it back next April.

First, I felt that there was a big change in steering response. I feel that it is very sensitive and I feel plenty of vibration in the steering wheel. Maybe that's just the bad roads of Detroit but when I got into a smoother part, it seems to be okay. It also felt like floating on dry, but maybe because it is brand new and very meaty. Plenty of grip when cornering. Overall, it is very stable on dry roads. I would update when the wet and snowy weather gets in.

I actually did miss the Toyo's yesterday. Somehow, the Toyo's felt more premium than the Continental.

If you get snow and regular temps below 45F during the winter you would be much better off getting a set of winter tires for the colder months. A/S tires are good for 3 seasons but not winter snow.
I thought about that and of course that would be a great improvement over A/S. Here, roads are plowed every time. Most likely, I would not be driving on deep snow on a regular basis. My iM survived in last year's first snow storm; drove it during that from Montreal to Toronto on stock Toyo's and it handled fine. Don't know what this winter would look like and I hope as mild as last year's.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Following the comments here as I was told my Toyo's have about 4 months left before needing to change. Living in Phx, snow is not the main concern, but I do make a few cold weather trips in the winter and when it does rain, it pours.

I have no issues with my Toyo's, they have served me well. My one trip during a snow storm they handled just fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Following the comments here as I was told my Toyo's have about 4 months left before needing to change. Living in Phx, snow is not the main concern, but I do make a few cold weather trips in the winter and when it does rain, it pours.

I have no issues with my Toyo's, they have served me well. My one trip during a snow storm they handled just fine.

What's up man, I was in the same situation as you are. Living in Scottsdale but not having to deal with severe weather, however I do go to Big Bear, mammoth and snowbowl during the winter so I wanted an awesome all season tire. I went off and bought a set of BFGoodrich Comp2 a/s and they're the best tire I have ever had on any vehicle! Go check out the ratings on tirerack.com and choose for yourself. The tires have improved wet and dry traction, they corner amazingly and handled the Az monsoon season like a boss!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

What's up man, I was in the same situation as you are. Living in Scottsdale but not having to deal with severe weather, however I do go to Big Bear, mammoth and snowbowl during the winter so I wanted an awesome all season tire. I went off and bought a set of BFGoodrich Comp2 a/s and they're the best tire I have ever had on any vehicle! Go check out the ratings on tirerack.com and choose for yourself. The tires have improved wet and dry traction, they corner amazingly and handled the Az monsoon season like a boss!
Those are on the top of my list

1 - 20 of 73 Posts