Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys been able to find a receiver hitch for your iM, as in the hitch framework that attaches to the rear frame of the cah? I have a platform that slides into it that I use to carry gas jugs for my snowmobiles so they are not stinking up the passenger compartment of the cah. I haven't been able to find one on the interwebs, probably because the cah is so new. That receiver platform also works wicked pissah in carrying stinky garbage to the dump. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Googling Toyota Auris receiver hitch is also an exercise in frustration. I doubt if the Corolla hitch would work due to the exhaust geometry.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Have any of you guys been able to find a receiver hitch for your iM, as in the hitch framework that attaches to the rear frame of the cah? I have a platform that slides into it that I use to carry gas jugs for my snowmobiles so they are not stinking up the passenger compartment of the cah. I haven't been able to find one on the interwebs, probably because the cah is so new. That receiver platform also works wicked pissah in carrying stinky garbage to the dump. Any help is much appreciated.
They exist, but I haven't figured out how to buy them yet... Toyota Corolla accessories

Reactions: IM Matt

·
Registered
149 Posts
The iM doesn't seem like a vehicle that is meant to tow. I wouldn't expect much.
To be specific, it's not even recommended in the owner's manual. So you shouldn't even be attaching a hitch.

Be warry of Aussie accessories btw, our specs are different (nevermind the LHD/RHD crap - they don't have wishbones, for instance).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Compatible?

They exist, but I haven't figured out how to buy them yet... Toyota Corolla accessories
I wouldn't think the receiver hitch from a Toyota corolla sedan would fit an iM. The iM's rear wheels are farther back and the exhaust geometry is likely different. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to be left spinning in the wind as no manufacturer is going to make a receiver hitch for a car with so few units sold?

·
Registered
661 Posts
It probably has to do with the rear subframe and the rest of the rear end which I can't imagine being different by much, makes sense for them to be close to eachother.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Toyota really has their head up their azz. If you look under the car you see the tapped holes for the receiver hitch on the passenger side. On the driver's side the tapped holes in the frame are completely covered by massive plastic from the spare tire well. Those bastids deliberately covered those holes so you can't mount a receiver hitch. No hitch maker is going to touch this car with that mongo piece of plastic there. They are not going to cut into it. I am ripped at this deliberate sabotage at the hands of mighty Toyota. And don't tell me "this car isn't made for towing". They went to the trouble of installing the tapped holes then some moron designer designed up a nice huge spare tire well with no consideration for a hitch. The Corolla can accept a receiver hitch and Matrixes of years past. This iM could have had a receiver hitch with some consideration to good design. Oh what a feeling!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I wouldn't think the receiver hitch from a Toyota corolla sedan would fit an iM. The iM's rear wheels are farther back and the exhaust geometry is likely different. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to be left spinning in the wind as no manufacturer is going to make a receiver hitch for a car with so few units sold?
Australian Corolla hatchback = Scion iM

Did you even click the link?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you look at the pic of that Aussie hitch, it is very tight to the bottom of the bumper. Go look at your iM. That plastic shroud sticks down way more than that which would push the iM receiver portion further down. It looks like that plastic shroud below the spare tire well was added only to iM's. I'm trying to figure our what it is supposed to be protecting that the Aussie hatches don't need protecting. I'd like to take the thing off. Anyone have a link to an exploded parts diagram for an iM? That would give me some idea of what's behind it.

So Toyota did design the tapped holes into the unibody to mount a standard receiver hitch to, as evidenced by the Aussie hitch. This huge plastic shroud/after thought came along on the iM and bollocked that up.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The shroud you are talking about is typically referred to as a diffuser. It is strictly there for aerodynamics. You would have to remove it to put a hitch in.

P.S. bonus points for using the word "bollocked" when talking about an Aussie car vs USDM model ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was looking into a receiver hitch also but only to use for a bike rack. I like the look of a roof rack but they suck mpg and easily scratch the paint being taken on and off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The only people to have one is Curt and I ordered it online from etrailer.com It was a little too wide, so I had to have some professional help luckily with I guys I work with so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me or we can post up on here for everyone to see.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you look at the pic of that Aussie hitch, it is very tight to the bottom of the bumper. Go look at your iM. That plastic shroud sticks down way more than that which would push the iM receiver portion further down. It looks like that plastic shroud below the spare tire well was added only to iM's. I'm trying to figure our what it is supposed to be protecting that the Aussie hatches don't need protecting. I'd like to take the thing off. Anyone have a link to an exploded parts diagram for an iM? That would give me some idea of what's behind it.

So Toyota did design the tapped holes into the unibody to mount a standard receiver hitch to, as evidenced by the Aussie hitch. This huge plastic shroud/after thought came along on the iM and bollocked that up.
I want to believe that it has something to do with the fact that the Aussie Corolla is using a twist beam rear while we have wishbones. Perhaps aero, yes.

With regards to the downsides of a roof rack, I suggest you have a plastic protector installed.

Again, installing a hitch is not recommended by the manufacturer. I cannot stress this enough.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I want to believe that it has something to do with the fact that the Aussie Corolla is using a twist beam rear while we have wishbones. Perhaps aero, yes.

With regards to the downsides of a roof rack, I suggest you have a plastic protector installed.

Again, installing a hitch is not recommended by the manufacturer. I cannot stress this enough.
It's not in the US. This is common practice due to legality and other US BS liability crap. European and Japanese models always are allowed to tow more than the US counterparts, especially on cars so not being recommended is really just them covering their ass.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I mean, comparing vehicles from GM and the likes and their towing specs. Not as a worker or w/e.

If I take my old Astra vs a Cobalt for instance. Both platform mates, one had a tow rating, the other didn't. Differences between the two? Powertrain and GVW. The Cobalt was more powerful and lighter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts