Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short I do a lot of camping out of my iM, and with the roof rack and mud flaps I figure I'm 3/4th's of the way to being a Subaru. I'd love to go all the way and throw some big 'ol Hella lights on the front, but I'm not sure what would be ascetically pleasing (if anything will be) with our front ends. My original thought was something like this:

but I also don't want to sacrifice MPG too much, so I thought perhaps something more like this (think a driving light in place of the factory fog):

but the problem there is I don't think anything is really going to fit there very well without a ton of custom fabrication, so maybe in front of the factory housings? I know several people have mounted LED lightbars behind the lower grill, which may be the route I end up going for the purely practical, but I figure if i'm going to go to the trouble of wiring up a bunch of lights and switches, I might as well get some cool-factor out of it too.

TL;DR I park in a driveway next to a 4Runner, an FJ and a Wrangler and I wanna stop feeling inadequate in the underwear, help me suba-duche my car up :cool: Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
So long story short I do a lot of camping out of my iM, and with the roof rack and mud flaps I figure I'm 3/4th's of the way to being a Subaru. I'd love to go all the way and throw some big 'ol Hella lights on the front, but I'm not sure what would be ascetically pleasing (if anything will be) with our front ends. My original thought was something like this:

but I also don't want to sacrifice MPG too much, so I thought perhaps something more like this (think a driving light in place of the factory fog):

but the problem there is I don't think anything is really going to fit there very well without a ton of custom fabrication, so maybe in front of the factory housings? I know several people have mounted LED lightbars behind the lower grill, which may be the route I end up going for the purely practical, but I figure if i'm going to go to the trouble of wiring up a bunch of lights and switches, I might as well get some cool-factor out of it too.

TL;DR I park in a driveway next to a 4Runner, an FJ and a Wrangler and I wanna stop feeling inadequate in the underwear, help me suba-duche my car up
Any thoughts?

1- If you could do it in the fog light location that would be awesome, but it does seem a tight fit.

2- I would also love to see a set mounted out front. I've got a coworker with a Mini that has a set and it looks great.

·
Registered
352 Posts
TL;DR I park in a driveway next to a 4Runner, an FJ and a Wrangler and I wanna stop feeling inadequate in the underwear, help me suba-duche my car up :cool: Any thoughts?
Now that we can definitely help out with !

What about something like those PIAA lights ? Mount em' smack dab in the middle of the front bumper on the two sides of the grill ?

Or spend some serious money and grab these :

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen a couple different variations of this and it's tempting to say the least, I'm just not sure there's enough support behind the bumper to hold up any weight...tags are a lot lighter than a bunch of lights (ironically).

Also I have to be honest, I didn't expect this thread to blow up like it did :D I figured everybody would crap all over it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that we can definitely help out with !

What about something like those PIAA lights ? Mount em' smack dab in the middle of the front bumper on the two sides of the grill ?

Or spend some serious money and grab these :

Also I dig them PIAAs. That would look pretty sharp in the factory spots if you could squeeze them in there

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I've seen a couple different variations of this and it's tempting to say the least, I'm just not sure there's enough support behind the bumper to hold up any weight...tags are a lot lighter than a bunch of lights (ironically).

Also I have to be honest, I didn't expect this thread to blow up like it did
I figured everybody would crap all over it
Ya, if have to look into it more, but I like the concept.

·
Registered
168 Posts
do you plan to rally it? no? then don't do it
do you plan to blind people and drive with them on like a d0uche? yes? then do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do you plan to rally it? no? then don't do it
do you plan to blind people and drive with them on like a d0uche? yes? then do it.
True rally? No. But I live in rural (ruuuuuraal) Mississippi and it gets hella dark if you're not on a highway. Trust me, as the owner of a car I am in the distinct minority around here, and every po-dunk farmer has those obnoxious HID kits on their $50K trucks, so I am more than conscious of damage bright lights can do. Plus around here they think its just the funniest thing ever to flash the hi-beams at me and when I flick them back they flip theirs on. So having a little more ammo wouldn't hurt either >:D

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
True rally? No. But I live in rural (ruuuuuraal) Mississippi and it gets hella dark if you're not on a highway. Trust me, as the owner of a car I am in the distinct minority around here, and every po-dunk farmer has those obnoxious HID kits on their $50K trucks, so I am more than conscious of damage bright lights can do. Plus around here they think its just the funniest thing ever to flash the hi-beams at me and when I flick them back they flip theirs on. So having a little more ammo wouldn't hurt either >:D
If you feel you need it, go for it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.