Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - I've been lurking and I'm seriously considering the Toyota iM for the fall.. I think I'm going to wait and see what the 2018 brings this fall so I've been watching for information..

ANYWAY - my question is - I went to a local dealership today and I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO wish I didn't have to deal with salesmen :crying: I know they have a job to do but....it is so hard to deal with one while trying to concentrate on the car!

When I sat in the car my headroom was good and loved the car but I noticed I had the seat set all the way back and it was.. still possibly not enough. For the CVT I would be fine but... I was thinking of a manual for this car..and there wasn't a manual car to sit in but trying to imagine using a clutch and the seat not far back as I like..but yeah very limited choices at the local dealership... heck they only had ONE on the lot I could look at. I'm 6'1" 160lbs.. and my question is...have any of you guys had issues with the seat not going back far enough? Maybe the seat was jammed and locked in position? It did move forward..

The salesman was driving me so bonkers I couldn't take it anymore and left but just wondered if anyone else had possible issues with the seat not going back far enough?

Anyway I'm worried about the model possibly changing or getting axed since it's been the same since 2012 overseas and sales are not the hottest.. so I'm waiting and sitting on the sideline to see what options if any come over (heated seats would be nice like other countries get..)

Thanks!

Matthew

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hello everyone - I've been lurking and I'm seriously considering the Toyota iM for the fall.. I think I'm going to wait and see what the 2018 brings this fall so I've been watching for information..

ANYWAY - my question is - I went to a local dealership today and I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO wish I didn't have to deal with salesmen
I know they have a job to do but....it is so hard to deal with one while trying to concentrate on the car!

When I sat in the car my headroom was good and loved the car but I noticed I had the seat set all the way back and it was.. still possibly not enough. For the CVT I would be fine but... I was thinking of a manual for this car..and there wasn't a manual car to sit in but trying to imagine using a clutch and the seat not far back as I like..but yeah very limited choices at the local dealership... heck they only had ONE on the lot I could look at. I'm 6'1" 160lbs.. and my question is...have any of you guys had issues with the seat not going back far enough? Maybe the seat was jammed and locked in position? It did move forward..

The salesman was driving me so bonkers I couldn't take it anymore and left but just wondered if anyone else had possible issues with the seat not going back far enough?

Anyway I'm worried about the model possibly changing or getting axed since it's been the same since 2012 overseas and sales are not the hottest.. so I'm waiting and sitting on the sideline to see what options if any come over (heated seats would be nice like other countries get..)

Thanks!

Matthew
The iM is in an interesting position. It came over from Scion. As a Scion the concept was, no options, every car comes the same. As a Toyota it is pretty much identical, except for the addition of the Saftey Sense system.

What will the future hold for the iM, we don't know? Will it continue, will it get options and different models, will it get dropped?

Mg only advice is that if you love it, buy it and don't worry about the models future. But I also am someone who keeps a car 10+ years.

Happy shopping, wish they had a salesman deterrent spray?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The iM is in an interesting position. It came over from Scion. As a Scion the concept was, no options, every car comes the same. As a Toyota it is pretty much identical, except for the addition of the Saftey Sense system.

What will the future hold for the iM, we don't know? Will it continue, will it get options and different models, will it get dropped?

Mg only advice is that if you love it, buy it and don't worry about the models future. But I also am someone who keeps a car 10+ years.

Happy shopping, wish they had a salesman deterant spray ?

Thanks yeah I WISH they made a spray..seriously I don't mind a hello from a salesman but when they're right there in the car with you or standing there watching your every move it's just hard to look at things. I try my best making people happy so part my fault for not being strong enough to say "ok.. I'm going to stare at the car for 10 minutes alone please..")

Anyway.. yeah I'm debating I'm worried looking at the numbers. I also keep my cars long term so trying to do all my homework on the car. The last model ran for 6 years and this model is hitting the 6 year mark so either Toyota will either continue to support it or kill it and I'm not sure what they're doing. Hopefully they'll release some information soon :) thanks for the reply.

(I tend to overthink and over analyze things so you're probably right I should just do it..)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Thanks yeah I WISH they made a spray..seriously I don't mind a hello from a salesman but when they're right there in the car with you or standing there watching your every move it's just hard to look at things. I try my best making people happy so part my fault for not being strong enough to say "ok.. I'm going to stare at the car for 10 minutes alone please..")

Anyway.. yeah I'm debating I'm worried looking at the numbers. I also keep my cars long term so trying to do all my homework on the car. The last model ran for 6 years and this model is hitting the 6 year mark so either Toyota will either continue to support it or kill it and I'm not sure what they're doing. Hopefully they'll release some information soon :) thanks for the reply.

(I tend to overthink and over analyze things so you're probably right I should just do it..)
Ya, the Auris platform has been around for a bit, but it is new to us US/Canadian's.

The good thing is that the platform as it is shared with the Corolla it is pretty solid for long term owners.

·
Registered
101 Posts
(I guess thinking more about it I need to find a manual one to sit in to test the clutch..)
You have to. You might be surprised with the clutch and the DBW throttle.

If you care for power, this car might not be for you. You'll resent the iM and will constantly be wishing for more power. I suggest that you shop around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

If you care for power, this car might not be for you. You'll resent the iM and will constantly be wishing for more power. I suggest that you shop around.

I am curious and I'll have to test drive for sure.. seems like every review I've seen, everyone says the car looks great and has great value but "lacks power"

I'll have to give it a try for sure :/ Hopefully it's not totally anemic. I don't need speed or power but if I need to speed up I'd hate to drive something like a dodge aries or something weak..

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

I am curious and I'll have to test drive for sure.. seems like every review I've seen, everyone says the car looks great and has great value but "lacks power"

I'll have to give it a try for sure :/ Hopefully it's not totally anemic. I don't need speed or power but if I need to speed up I'd hate to drive something like a dodge aries or something weak..
You just need to regard it properly. It is a Corolla in a fun package.

Don't expect high performance, but it compares well with other cars in its class.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Matthew. As someone who has been a fan of researching automobile changes for eleven years this June (Yes, I remember the month that I became really into cars), there will always be improvements and changes that current owners will miss out on. The best thing current Toyota owners can do is, well...go places! Be proud of the fact that your iM is your iM. The places, experiences, condition, color, mileage, service history...will always be uniquely yours!

No, I do not work for Toyota and would never work at a car dealership. I just tend to think about these things differently than the average Joe and wanted to give my two cents as my first post :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Matthew. As someone who has been a fan of researching automobile changes for eleven years this June (Yes, I remember the month that I became really into cars), there will always be improvements and changes that current owners will miss out on. The best thing current Toyota owners can do is, well...go places! Be proud of the fact that your iM is your iM. The places, experiences, condition, color, mileage, service history...will always be uniquely yours!

No, I do not work for Toyota and would never work at a car dealership. I just tend to think about these things differently than the average Joe and wanted to give my two cents as my first post :D
Thanks Timothy :) I know I'm a weird guy.. I bought a Scion XB 2015 a few years back and I thought it was pretty cool to own the last year of the model (2015). I kind of liked that because it was nice knowing that there wasn't some newer/better model out there that I would see over the years, but then I fell on hard times and had to sell it..... but yeah we'll see - I'm working in a crappy situation/company.. once that settles I'll go out and test drive one and probably get it but you are right and you give sound advice. Just got to choose to live and go for it.. :)

Anyway thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts

Have you tried a manual iM yet? The 2018 isn't changing so I just bought a 2017 iM 6MT for $13560 + TT&L after rebates and discounts. I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs and I have no issues with the seat position. There is a company called Extend My Seat and they make a lot of seat extenders for different Toyota cars. I have a set on my 2009 Corolla S and it gives me an extra 4" of seat travel but I only use about 1.5".

As far as the lack of power I think every one expects the iM to be a race car or something. It has enough power to operate just fine. I've had no issues unless I'm going uphill trying to pass someone when I'm at elevation of 6000' in the mountains. Other then that it's fine and the 6MT is much more responsive and quicker with the 6MT then the CVT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.