Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Relocated the license plate last night. Didnt take too long at all. Just pop the plate off and the tow cover on the bumper and screw in the the rod from the kit with the plate holding bracket already on there. Got the kit from Amazon. I love the look of it and should help with airflow to the radiator since I push my IM a lot on track days. What does everyone think?

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't think it makes any difference for airflow. It doesn't really block the air inlet. So now you have 2 holes in your bumper? I know a lot of people like this look but I'm not a fan. Cool if you do though. I like the more symmetrical look of it in the middle. Enjoy! ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it makes any difference for airflow. It doesn't really block the air inlet. So now you have 2 holes in your bumper? I know a lot of people like this look but I'm not a fan. Cool if you do though. I like the more symmetrical look of it in the middle. Enjoy! /forum/images/ScionIMForum/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
The driver side bumper hole help with a ram effect for my DC cai. I did both sides cuz I wanted a symmetrical look. The holes are actually the housing for the fog lights but I decided not to do the lights cuz of increased airflow to the cai.

The plate location I hope will help in the summer time but if not oh well. I don't have my hopes up considering I did it just for looks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The driver side bumper hole help with a ram effect for my DC cai. I did both sides cuz I wanted a symmetrical look. The holes are actually the housing for the fog lights but I decided not to do the lights cuz of increased airflow to the cai.

The plate location I hope will help in the summer time but if not oh well. I don't have my hopes up considering I did it just for looks.
It won't make any difference on the iM if you have a fog light or not. You would need to enclose the air filter in a sealed box with the port so that the vacuum of the engine would help increase the ram effect of the air. It's a big misconception when it comes to intakes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

It won't make any difference on the iM if you have a fog light or not. You would need to enclose the air filter in a sealed box with the port so that the vacuum of the engine would help increase the ram effect of the air. It's a big misconception when it comes to intakes.
Can I ask why tho? I've done it in the past with another car and it seemed to help a little bit cuz my thought was the more air it can get the better no matter what the direction flow is coming from. But I'm guessing that it's kinda like a hood scoop altering the air pressure in an engine bay with a sri?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Can I ask why tho? I've done it in the past with another car and it seemed to help a little bit cuz my thought was the more air it can get the better no matter what the direction flow is coming from. But I'm guessing that it's kinda like a hood scoop altering the air pressure in an engine bay with a sri?
It's not forcing the air in since it's not a sealed ram effect. And even if it was the difference would be negligible on an iM. You are most likely feeling the benefit of the CAI but just having the fog light not installed is doing nothing. You would be better off installing the fog lights.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even if there is no ram air effect, I have be monitoring the AIT before the vents and after. I don't have the graph anymore but the intake temp dropped about 7 or 8 degrees at 70mph on the highway. Worth it in my opinion even if it creates a high pressure zone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082C5NGBL/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_qqWGEbB5RDPFN is the link for the relocator. It was like 20 something dollars. Totally worth it and works great. Easy install in about 10 minutes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts