Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm posting in behalf of our awesome 2016 IM...

we're having an oil leaking problem after a regular oil change. We did oil and filters like a month ago and it was the first time we didn't take the car into a dealership, but instead a well reputed shop nearby. (You know, 5-star google review, everybody takes theirs cars there kind of shop..and very friendly and honest guys).

But last week while coming back from work the car started buzzing and the oil's low pressure warning came into the display, for a second and then faded. We even didn't have time to read the message completely but were able to notice the words low and oil. Gladly we were less than half mile from home so she came back,

parked.. then we freak out together, check the oil level (that seemed to be overfilled, it was at night and difficult to look at), so the next morning we towed the car towards the shop for a check. When towing we noticed the oil stain under where the car was parked, and at the shop they noticed the dripping at the drain plug, so they tighten it, and we're ready to go.

Yesterday we parked the car on a different spot, to verify that it wasn't leaking anymore, and I just moved the car and I saw that there was a oil leak under the car again.

It seemed to me that these guys (and maybe not the owners, but some tech) don't know what they're doing..or didn't care that much... I don't think they under-tighten the draining plug for a second time... so maybe they put the o-ring in wrong position? who knows.. my problem is that I don't know whether to take the car to this shop one more time, or to the dealership or other shop and be charged for a simple thing... The fact also is that last time we went to the dealership, we went there for a software update and they tried dishonestly to make us do some unnecessary things, so we don't trust the dealership either.

How would you guys proceed in this situation? Take it to another shop and start a battle with the first one to cover the cost maybe it's too much...

Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine is also a '16, and I've been changing my own oil - so familiar with the process. There are two places it could be leaking, the cover for the oil filter, and the drain plug.

Since you say there was drip from the drain plug - there are few reasons it could be leaking. Not tightened enough - sounds like they addressed that though. Could be cross threaded, so it doesn't seat correctly. Might have tightened it TOO much, and deformed the seal so it doesn't work properly.

Was the warning one of the indicator lights, or in the center display? If it was on the display, you should be able to navigate to that area and view it again. If it wasn't the center display, looking at page 70 here https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM12J49U/pdf/OM12J49U.pdf you might verify what indicator it was, 71 & 72 go into details.

Couple of questions - did the shop give you a receipt with details of what they did? If so, might confirm what type of oil they used (0W-20 is what the manual says), and how much they put in (4.4 qt if they changed the filter).

Might check the oil level again after it has been sitting, see how it is. Any "fix" other than tightening the drain plug is going to basically be another oil change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I'm posting in behalf of our awesome 2016 IM...

we're having an oil leaking problem after a regular oil change. We did oil and filters like a month ago and it was the first time we didn't take the car into a dealership, but instead a well reputed shop nearby. (You know, 5-star google review, everybody takes theirs cars there kind of shop..and very friendly and honest guys).

But last week while coming back from work the car started buzzing and the oil's low pressure warning came into the display, for a second and then faded. We even didn't have time to read the message completely but were able to notice the words low and oil. Gladly we were less than half mile from home so she came back,

parked.. then we freak out together, check the oil level (that seemed to be overfilled, it was at night and difficult to look at), so the next morning we towed the car towards the shop for a check. When towing we noticed the oil stain under where the car was parked, and at the shop they noticed the dripping at the drain plug, so they tighten it, and we're ready to go.

Yesterday we parked the car on a different spot, to verify that it wasn't leaking anymore, and I just moved the car and I saw that there was a oil leak under the car again.

It seemed to me that these guys (and maybe not the owners, but some tech) don't know what they're doing..or didn't care that much... I don't think they under-tighten the draining plug for a second time... so maybe they put the o-ring in wrong position? who knows.. my problem is that I don't know whether to take the car to this shop one more time, or to the dealership or other shop and be charged for a simple thing... The fact also is that last time we went to the dealership, we went there for a software update and they tried dishonestly to make us do some unnecessary things, so we don't trust the dealership either.

How would you guys proceed in this situation? Take it to another shop and start a battle with the first one to cover the cost maybe it's too much...

Thanks!
Somebody used an adjustable wrench to remove drain plug. If you use that type of wrench the outside of the wrench bits into the pan at the top and deforms the pan. Check for dents and scratches above the drain plug. Im doing one for a customer right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts