Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Stock Toyo's lasted 36,600 miles
How do you like them? Are they softer or harder? How is cornering and acceleration? MPGs?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I guess I have been lucky on my stock TOYOs... Currently at 59K freeway miles and still have a lot...

I will probably get TOYOs again if budget permits...

Thank you for the posting. At least we get ideas on tire replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I have been lucky on my stock TOYOs... Currently at 59K freeway miles and still have a lot...

I will probably get TOYOs again if budget permits...

Thank you for the posting. At least we get ideas on tire replacement.
Well done on the mileage

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So a few days in and they are a nice tire. A bit firmer and quieter. Braking is also a bit improved.

The only downside so far is I have seemed to have lost a bit of MPG but I'll give it a few days before declaring it a pattern.

·
Registered
274 Posts
So a few days in and they are a nice tire. A bit firmer and quieter. Braking is also a bit improved.

The only downside so far is I have seemed to have lost a bit of MPG but I'll give it a few days before declaring it a pattern.
You will most likely lose some MPGs, I lost about 2-3 MPGs when I switched to W-rated Proxes 4 Plus. Nitto Motivo were better, I only lost 1 MPG when I had them.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

You will most likely lose some MPGs, I lost about 2-3 MPGs when I switched to W-rated Proxes 4 Plus. Nitto Motivo were better, I only lost 1 MPG when I had them.
Just 1-2 MPG so far, but its only been a few days

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So a month in review

The good: They are good handling tires. A bit stiffer than the Toyos I had before. Better stopping distance and nice cornering. And wonderful wet weather control. In Phoenix we have had some massive Monsoon storms in the past two weeks and I have been out driving in a few of them and I never felt the tires lose traction.

The bad: I seemed to have lost a bit of MPG. I was getting a solid 33-34 MPG on my weekly trips into work with a combined 70/30 Highway/City driving. Now I have yet to have a week above 32 MPG. I have yet to take a long trip in which I have got 39 MPG.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Losing a little MPG is normal with new tires. They are a little larger diameter with the full tread depth. As a tire wears the MPG gets a little better. Plus the difference from tire to tire and tread compounds and the like all affect MPG.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Losing a little MPG is normal with new tires. They are a little larger diameter with the full tread depth. As a tire wears the MPG gets a little better. Plus the difference from tire to tire and tread compounds and the like all affect MPG.
It is all about the tire, its rubber mix and its rolling resistance. I had OEM or better mileage with brand new Toyo Versado Noir, but absolutely horrible mileage when I tried new Yokohama Advan Sport A/S. Nitto Neo Gen seems to be a very similar tire to our OEM Toyo Proxes 4 Plus B, I wanted to try it, but decided to get something with a higher wear rating (which also affects fuel economy).

It sounds like touring tires are the best choice for fuel economy, but they are not great with cornering. My W-rated Proxes are wearing out slowly, they may even last 50k miles. I will be definitely getting different tires when they wear out, possibly Nitto Invo or Michelin Premier that I originally wanted to try. Nitto Motivo is a perfect choice for an everyday cheap comfortable performance tire, it will be my default choice if I fail to find another decent tire.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It is all about the tire, its rubber mix and its rolling resistance. I had OEM or better mileage with brand new Toyo Versado Noir, but absolutely horrible mileage when I tried new Yokohama Advan Sport A/S. Nitto Neo Gen seems to be a very similar tire to our OEM Toyo Proxes 4 Plus B, I wanted to try it, but decided to get something with a higher wear rating (which also affects fuel economy).
This is true when comparing new tire to new tire. If you compare a worn out tire to a brand new tire of the same type the new tire will always get a little worse mileage due to a larger diameter and the deeper tread depth cause more rolling resistance due to the taller tread blocks that squirm more as the tire rotates.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

It sounds like touring tires are the best choice for fuel economy, but they are not great with cornering. My W-rated Proxes are wearing out slowly, they may even last 50k miles. I will be definitely getting different tires when they wear out, possibly Nitto Invo or Michelin Premier that I originally wanted to try. Nitto Motivo is a perfect choice for an everyday cheap comfortable performance tire, it will be my default choice if I fail to find another decent tire.
This is true when comparing new tire to new tire. If you compare a worn out tire to a brand new tire of the same type the new tire will always get a little worse mileage due to a larger diameter and the deeper tread depth cause more rolling resistance due to the taller tread blocks that squirm more as the tire rotates.
All valid points. The new tire is a bit bigger in diameter so I kind of expected a slight drop in MPG. Still not excited to see it go down though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts