Scion iM Forum banner

New owner from Toronto Canada

7K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  MB07 
#1 ·
Just sold a 2010 MDX and purchased an iM (thats gonna take some getting used to lol). Will be picking it up officially tomorrow night! As far as plans for it seeing I'm from the great white north the winter tires are on the way and as my profession for the last 15 years being an automotive device installer, I will be throwing in a Compustar T11 remote starter with an datalink blade AL bypass & drone mobile 3400, Blackvue 2 channel dash camera has been pulled from the MDX and going in as well as a light tint all around. I will eventually look into putting an app radio in it when Metra makes a wiring harness for it. Anyways nice to meet you all! My name is Mark

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum, glad to have someone here with 15 years of being an automotive device installer which surely helps to make sound decisions when making changes to your own vehicles. With that being said, how good is Compustar in comparison to other remote starter brands? Never bought a remote starter before.

#11 ·
Installs were all good and super simple I can easily guide and walk anyone through it. Learnt quite a bit about it in one quick session with it electrically and disassembly. My boss is big on posting you tube videos on certain jobs we do and he asked to make one on the iM so I'll post a link when he does it. Hey joe fellow torontonian! Winter tires have unfortunately arrived will be putting them on this coming Saturday. We still have not gotten dumped on...yet I am definitely curious how it's gonna be but for some reason not worried at all about it plowing through! Anyone done HID's on it yet? The owners manual says the bulb is 9012 which is a pretty uncommon bulb number. It seems to be close to a H11 or 9006?

#12 ·
For anyone looking into HID's, I ordered a 9012 kit and a 9006 showed up and went in fine. I've seen a lot of confusion between H11 and 9006 compared to the 9012 but for me the 9006 was fine. The only thing is the plug from the ballast to the oem headlight socket the wires were backwards I had to re pin the ballast plug or I could have flipped it around and not had it physically click into place. I don't know if this is because it's 9006 and not 9012 or maybe it was specifically the kit I got. Just keep an eye out for that

#14 ·
I have always been a big fan of xenon depot hid kits www.xenondepot.com. it is double the price of what I can get a kit for at work but I still chose it from previous experiences. I also purchased the canbus product as much as our cars may not need it the way a BMW would it definitely does not hurt to have for an additional $18.99. I ordered a 5000k kit which is not so common. 4300 is like stock hid colour which are white but a slightly warmer white and 6000k is very white with a hint of blue. The 5000k has no blue and is very similar to the 4300 except a much whiter white. No regrets in the colour choice I made it looks very clean and elegant

#15 ·
Here are a few shots of the 5000k hid set up as well as the 2 channel blackvue dash camera. Unfortunately with the rear I chose to off centre it due to the 3rd brake light up in the middle. To centre the rear I would have either had too much wire showing inside the car or it would have shown in the brake light itself

Attachments

#16 ·
looks nice. so you didnt have to shave any plastic stubs off the wiring sockets? what about the two rubber seals that seal up the housing behind the bulb? any cutting involved to get the wiring through?
im gonna wait until spring before i add an led or hid kit. maybe prices will have dipped some more by then. :)

#17 ·
I used a really sharp knife and made a circle just big enough to allow this rubber plug to serve its purpose. It is a lot easier when you drill a hole through a plastic piece but still do able on our flimsy rubber. As far as shaving any tabs to make the 9006 fit.. not at all. It went in and tightened no problem. I also attached a photo of where I hid my ballasts. there was a really nice 'shelf' in the front rebar which kept the engine bay nice and tidy.

Attachments

#18 ·
Hi Mark. Thanks for your posts. I live in Western NY and just picked up my new iM last week. Two questions for you... First, what winter tires did you go with? And secondly, and this question is for everyone, have you experienced any problems with the center console display screen? The display screen in my iM sometimes is a blank white. A little frustrating but otherwise really enjoy my new iM.

#20 ·
I put a tire called Champiro Ice pro. They are meaty ad **** and pretty good in the weather mind you as you know we haven't gotten hit very hard yet. I was just in buffalo actually last week. I had these tires on my MDX before this car and loved em. Even after an entire season they still looked brand new

#19 ·
Toyota introduced their official remote start solution a few months ago. It doesn't have any of the smartphone fun stuff you come to expect in 2016 (SO CONSERVATIVE MUCH TOYOTA) but apparently works like you'd expect the stock GM ones to: climate control and everything else self-adjusts, so you don't have to preset anything. I haven't asked if it could be installed in the iM, but I figure it should? The cost is rather prohibitive, though, and for your car, it doesn't beat a block heater, it's just a creature comfort thing.

I know the question's not addressed to me, but I personally went with Xi3's. I'm still not sure the price difference is *that* worthwhile but they're not bad and ride good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.