Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
fortunately we get projectors since it goes a long way in making the best of those halogens. But i've noticed some people just prefer to go the HID route, they're easy to install too which helps a lot.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya

fortunately we get projectors since it goes a long way in making the best of those halogens. But i've noticed some people just prefer to go the HID route, they're easy to install too which helps a lot.
Ya, I simply don't want to mess with HID's.

No complaints for $18.00

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks for the hi's and low's, Looks perfect for visibility and not just random brightness. Nice clean cut-off line as well which is great to see. No glares

·
Registered
274 Posts
These could be OK, but stock HID is 4300K. When you go above 5000K it just looks rice. I understand that buying a Scion kind of fits into this whole "rice" culture", but I would really prefer getting a retrofit. Since headlights are not on my list, I do not really care. When I finally start to care, I will go to Lightwerkz in New Jersey and get a set of new HID projectors installed with OEM ballasts and Philips 4300K HID bulbs. IMHO, new projectors is the only proper way to do this.

BTW, Toyota Auris in Europe has LED headlights. Their shape looks different though, but it would be nice to have plug'n'play option, even if it is expensive.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
These could be OK, but stock HID is 4300K. When you go above 5000K it just looks rice. I understand that buying a Scion kind of fits into this whole "rice" culture", but I would really prefer getting a retrofit. Since headlights are not on my list, I do not really care. When I finally start to care, I will go to Lightwerkz in New Jersey and get a set of new HID projectors installed with OEM ballasts and Philips 4300K HID bulbs. IMHO, new projectors is the only proper way to do this.

BTW, Toyota Auris in Europe has LED headlights. Their shape looks different though, but it would be nice to have plug'n'play option, even if it is expensive.
I choose these to match the LED Driving lights.

Be careful doing a HID conversion. Technically, changing the type of headlight is a DOT Violation.

http://xtremerevolution.net/are-hid-kits-legal-or-safe/

' "NHTSA (National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration) has ruled that HID conversion kits are not only undoubtedly unsafe, but also illegal. People who I have personally talked to have received fines upward of $250 for their use of an illegal modification. They are not DOT approved, and are specifically sold as "for off-road use only." '

·
Registered
274 Posts
I choose these to match the LED Driving lights.

Be careful doing a HID conversion. Technically, changing the type of headlight is a DOT Violation.

Are HID Kits Legal or Safe? | XTREMEREVOLUTION.NET

' "NHTSA (National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration) has ruled that HID conversion kits are not only undoubtedly unsafe, but also illegal. People who I have personally talked to have received fines upward of $250 for their use of an illegal modification. They are not DOT approved, and are specifically sold as "for off-road use only." '
I know and agree with the law, but why buy aftermarket projectors? Original Corolla LED projectors are just fine or Lexus or Acura HID, OEM FTW. I would fine people that put HID plug'n'play kits into halogen reflectors, those things just blind everyone around. Our projectors should at least provide some structure to the light beam, unlike many older cars that had reflectors.

With all things considered, headlights should not be modified at all.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know and agree with the law, but why buy aftermarket projectors? Original Corolla LED projectors are just fine or Lexus or Acura HID, OEM FTW. I would fine people that put HID plug'n'play kits into halogen reflectors, those things just blind everyone around. Our projectors should at least provide some structure to the light beam, unlike many older cars that had reflectors.

With all things considered, headlights should not be modified at all.
I just like to remind people that as popular HID conversions are, they technically are illegal.

99% of the time you will not get busted, but that one 1%

1 - 19 of 19 Posts