• Mazda 3: 6
  • Scion iM: 8

MSRP
  • Mazda 3: $21,965
  • Scion iM: $19,995

·
Registered
6 Posts
I looked at a Mazda 3. It's a very nice car. It's reported that it handles great. It is also reported that it needs new motor mounts every couple of years. No thanks, I want something that is reliable.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mazda 3 is 185 horsepower.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Todd is correct.

These specs were to just start off the comparison since I don't think it even begins to scrap the surface but is a starting point.
Mazda 3 has been selling well and there's a reason for that and out of all the rivals in this segment... i have a feeling it will come down to these two.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Todd is correct.

These specs were to just start off the comparison since I don't think it even begins to scrap the surface but is a starting point.
Mazda 3 has been selling well and there's a reason for that and out of all the rivals in this segment... i have a feeling it will come down to these two.
Agreed

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is exactly why I bought the iM over the Mazda 3.
That is indeed a downside, i think on average you're looking at a few hundred to $500 just to pay a shop to change them out. BUT there may be very good reason for still going for it. For the DIY'er, engine mounts shouldn't be an issue, even those slightly mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I drove the Mazda 3 and it drives really nice as does the iM. I'm not as big a fan of the looks though. I think the iM looks much better. The back 1/3 of the Mazda 3 has always looked out of whack to me and I'm still not a fan of the front. It has a little more power at 155 HP for the 2.0L but it didn't feel any quicker driving it around. The thing I hate the most though is the stereo. The 7" screen looking like it was an afterthought and just stuck on top of the dash is hideous. I couldn't buy one and having to look at that ugly wart on the dash all the time. On top of that the deals on the out going 2017 wasn't very good. I picked up my 2017 iM 6MT for $13580 + TT&L. So much less then any Mazda 3 deal and the iM still looks much better inside and out.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I rented Mazda 3 last year and I mostly liked it. Interior quality is good, it handles well and has enough power. It also has a variety of trim levels.

Where Mazda 3 lacks: front seats are too narrow, driver's door opening is too narrow, interior room is too narrow for the driver, rear visibility is bad.

I also believe iM ride is more comfortable and refined, but that's debatable.

Since I care about my comfort inside, I picked the iM. If you are a smaller guy/girl, Mazda is a great choice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not a fan of the overall proportions and body lines of either the sedan or hatch Mazda3 (or the Mazda2 Toyota iA), though I do like certain styling aspects of it. Then there is the the issue of Mazda build-quality & overall reliability. The iA (Mazda2 sedan), for example, has an uncomfortable rate of transmission and major mechanical failures in the first 2 years alone, based on what I have read about it. Very disappointing.

I like the overall look/style of the iM, but I'm still not a fan of the 'upside down' headlight design, and the front bumper in general. I'm hoping the 2019 refresh will address those issues, since I will be in the market for my next car about then. I'm also disappointed that the U.S./NA version iM doesn't have the factory fog-lights and LED headlights that the same car has in other markets (like Australia). The optional rear hatch spoiler is also a bit over-the-top looking (to me), while the standard factory one is almost non-existent. I wish they would have went with a factory size one about the size/look of the rear hatch spoiler for the Yaris SE. I would also have to replace the alloys on the current iM, as they are not to my liking from a styling standpoint. I also think that I would be inclined to go for a 16" wheel with 50 series tires instead of the factory 45.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I'm not a fan of the overall proportions and body lines of either the sedan or hatch Mazda3 (or the Mazda2 Toyota iA), though I do like certain styling aspects of it. Then there is the the issue of Mazda build-quality & overall reliability. The iA (Mazda2 sedan), for example, has an uncomfortable rate of transmission and major mechanical failures in the first 2 years alone, based on what I have read about it. Very disappointing.

I like the overall look/style of the iM, but I'm still not a fan of the 'upside down' headlight design, and the front bumper in general. I'm hoping the 2019 refresh will address those issues, since I will be in the market for my next car about then. I'm also disappointed that the U.S./NA version iM doesn't have the factory fog-lights and LED headlights that the same car has in other markets (like Australia). The optional rear hatch spoiler is also a bit over-the-top looking (to me), while the standard factory one is almost non-existent. I wish they would have went with a factory size one about the size/look of the rear hatch spoiler for the Yaris SE. I would also have to replace the alloys on the current iM, as they are not to my liking from a styling standpoint. I also think that I would be inclined to go for a 16" wheel with 50 series tires instead of the factory 45.
I liked the original Mazda 3, not the swoopy latest Mazda 3

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mazda 3 still has a normal Automatic Transmission vs. Crappy CVT Tranny of the iM does....Mazda 3 Interior is Twice as nice vs. the iM.

I dislike the Mazda 3 Exterior design though...I like the iM Exterior Design a lot more.

Yes the Mazda 3 has a longer wheelbase vs. the iM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts