Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So i'm currently thinking of having low profile subs under my seats and LED strips (White) behind the grille to match the DLRs. And of course, headlights to also match the DLRs. What do you guys recommend for all three? Price is not a big deal to me. Links would be much appreciated! Thank you guys!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hey guys! So i'm currently thinking of having low profile subs under my seats and LED strips (White) behind the grille to match the DLRs. And of course, headlights to also match the DLRs. What do you guys recommend for all three? Price is not a big deal to me. Links would be much appreciated! Thank you guys!
These headlights match the DRL perfectly:
SGP85K-9012

I also added some glow behind the grill, (amber for me).

I have traditional subs, but I see the appeal of the under the seat ones.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a traditional 10" sub and I like it a lot. I am also thinking about getting 10" Morel Ultimo SC, all reviews are praising it. Unless you are hauling a lot of gear non-stop, why get underseat subs? Yes, they will be hidden, but if you want a hidden sub get a spare wheel custom box. That's how 2005-2010 Scion tC had their sub mounted. That whole area has a lot of room. Underseat subs have an extremely small box and as you may know larger boxes usually have much better sound quality.

Traditional sub box is also super easy to disconnect in case you do need to haul something larger. I almost never do. I will get a U-Haul truck when I need to move again.

As far as the headlights go, my opinion is to retrofit.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The reason for low profile subs is so that I have enough space to move my belongings in the summer.
OK, so there are 3 options:

1. Get shallow subs and install them under front seats. I thought about doing it, but every audio shop I talked to said it is not a good idea, since I will sacrifice sound quality.
2. Get a custom made box for the spare tire (it works really well, many people have it). You can also install your amp over there.
3. Get a regular 10"-12" box and just disconnect it when you decide to move (you can put it up front of your car or just leave it at your new place before you pick up your gear from your old place). iM is super tiny for moving. When I was a student I had a Honda Element and everything would fit into that car. You can also get a nice single 8" or 10" box, there is really no need to go with dual subs unless you are totally into bass heavy music.

If you just absolutely want to go with underseat subs, I would research pre-assembled small subs. Like Alpine, Kicker or Focal. Crutchfield is probably the best place for that, but their prices are almost always the highest. So I would research on Crutchfield, but buy on Amazon.

Powered Subwoofers at Crutchfield.com

If you just adding a sub, I would go with an "active subwoofer". That way you don't have to install a separate amp.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The reason for low profile subs is so that I have enough space to move my belongings in the summer.
OK, so there are 3 options:

1. Get shallow subs and install them under front seats. I thought about doing it, but every audio shop I talked to said it is not a good idea, since I will sacrifice sound quality.
2. Get a custom made box for the spare tire (it works really well, many people have it). You can also install your amp over there.
3. Get a regular 10"-12" box and just disconnect it when you decide to move (you can put it up front of your car or just leave it at your new place before you pick up your gear from your old place). iM is super tiny for moving. When I was a student I had a Honda Element and everything would fit into that car. You can also get a nice single 8" or 10" box, there is really no need to go with dual subs unless you are totally into bass heavy music.

If you just absolutely want to go with underseat subs, I would research pre-assembled small subs. Like Alpine, Kicker or Focal. Crutchfield is probably the best place for that, but their prices are almost always the highest. So I would research on Crutchfield, but buy on Amazon.

Powered Subwoofers at Crutchfield.com

If you just adding a sub, I would go with an "active subwoofer". That way you don't have to install a separate amp.
I used this slim box with a Kicker 10" and the amp hidden under the seat. Plenty of bass for most folks.

https://goo.gl/images/8X6qsg

I like the slim footorint as I like to still use my trunk.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I used this slim box with a Kicker 10" and the amp hidden under the seat. Plenty of bass for most folks.

https://goo.gl/images/8X6qsg

I like the slim footorint as I like to still use my trunk.
I used the space inside my spare tire to mount my amp on the wooden rack. I also wanted to put my sub there, but then I realized that I am not really hauling anything besides groceries, so I decided to save some money.

Reactions: davect01

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh man, I apologize for my late response.

Someone did recommend me the Kenwood KSC-SW11, what do you guys think about that?

And also, for the LED strips, what's a good site to get some? I want to specifically put them on the "V" grille to connect the two headlights but I have no idea how i'm supposed to block the light on the bottom grille

·
Registered
78 Posts
These headlights match the DRL perfectly:
SGP85K-9012

I also added some glow behind the grill, (amber for me).

I have traditional subs, but I see the appeal of the under the seat ones.
Hi,
Do you happen to know the life span of these lights? How long have they lasted?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.