Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't able to hear it at the dealership but I decided to order it. What do you guys think about this unit, is the improvement in sound quality noticeable?

·
Registered
22 Posts
After much research, I decided not to get it. At that price, you could almost replace the stock deck with an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
As much as I don't like to hear this LOL, thanks for the honest oppinion.
The ugprade's been available for a lot of Toyotas over the years and I actually looked it up a few months ago because I found the accessory description to be unfortunately vague. Turned out it's exactly what I described it as. Frankly, you can get some fairly nice tuning out of the stock head unit and even more out of an aftermarket that will cost as much and provide you even even more features. It's not worth it, at all. Wish you'd have asked about it before. :p

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After much research, I decided not to get it. At that price, you could almost replace the stock deck with an aftermarket one.
The ugprade's been available for a lot of Toyotas over the years and I actually looked it up a few months ago because I found the accessory description to be unfortunately vague. Turned out it's exactly what I described it as. Frankly, you can get some fairly nice tuning out of the stock head unit and even more out of an aftermarket that will cost as much and provide you even even more features. It's not worth it, at all. Wish you'd have asked about it before. :p
Thanks guys. Replacing the head unit with an aftermarket one for me was out of the question. In my case I know that once I would start that then I'd be putting money into it endlessly... speakers, sub, amp. I was looking to improve the sound quality as much as possible quickly and without gutting the car out too much. I am sure you are 100% right when it comes to value for $, but it only bumped my payments up by $3.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I wouldn't buy a sound system without being able to hear it. Too bad they didn't have it there for you to listen to. At least then you could have decided whether its right for you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally, I picked up my car from the dealer last night. I have to say that I do not regret at all getting the Bongiovi system. The sound is a lot better than without it. For the people that are not interested in gutting the car and installing after market systems I think it's worth the money. I was surprised that OEM speakers in this car can sound this good. I am sure that after market systems can blow Bongiovi out of the water, but that will cost a lot more than $350.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I too was surpise when a friend demo this expensive equalizer to me in his camry with the stock paper thin speaker. It sounds really good but just not the route I would go.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was surprised that OEM speakers in this car can sound this good.

I don't know many cars these days that have really shitty speakers except utility vehicles and econoboxes like the Mirage (and even then, they have an upgrade available). It's really mostly a matter of tuning them so they sound right. So yeah, it's totally normal that the EQ'd output sounds better than stock, but it really doesn't take all that much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know many cars these days that have really shitty speakers
The stock speaker from my venza are shitty in my opinion... Not sure about the im...

It only weight 8oz and the magnet is small like a ring...I highly suspect the im have something similar...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts