Scion iM Forum banner

Interchangeable Parts?

20K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  SuperchargedMR2 
#1 ·
Just seeing what all has been found to be interchangeable.

Performance?
Suspension?
Wheels/Rims?
Cosmetic?
-inside
-outside

Anything at all

Just interested in seeing whats up. Or if TRD has moved past the "no image" pictures on their site for the iM. Or if some ppl hear some nice things down the grape vine. Throw out some inside info

Thanks!

#2 ·
Besides basics, the motor's the Corolla Eco's and it's not that old, so you're not seeing much in the way of mods for it. Exhaust and intake are currently your essential options.
Part interchangeability with the tC for the suspension.
You can go down to 16 for wheels. Offset down to 38. Compatibility is pretty wide given it's using generic bolt patterns and so forth.
Lots of interchangeability between the Corolla and the Rav4 though mostly the Corolla.

For accessories you'll also find compatibilities with Corolla gear. For instance, if you're shopping for a rack, chances are the iM isn't showing up as an option. However, roof kits are interchangeable between the iM and the Corolla (as in they fit each other). This isn't really made obvious until you find yourself in my position and you check with the European parts.

#7 ·
any out right now?

Exhaust and intake are currently your essential options.
Are there any recommendations for it so far when it comes to exhaust?? I have an intake right now...i do know there is a post on here already for that, but the best thing ive seen in the halfway down delete and then just custom straight pipe from there....i just didnt know if there was an actual set up yet

#9 ·
Are there any recommendations for it so far when it comes to exhaust?? I have an intake right now...i do know there is a post on here already for that, but the best thing ive seen in the halfway down delete and then just custom straight pipe from there....i just didnt know if there was an actual set up yet
I don't see myself upgrading those parts until they literally start rotting away so I wouldn't know, really.

I'm keeping it pretty simple and functional.

I reduced my wheel size to 16"s for the added ride comfort, the generally (some wheels are heavy, y'know) lower unsprung weight and the lower tire costs (and wheel, duh!). I added HIDs because the headlights are rated mediocre otherwise. I added a roofrack because I don't want to ruin my interior and it sorta compensates for the fact that I didn't get a proper wagon. I'm not really concerned with performance. I had a 200HP car before I landed in this guy and while it was fun it's not something I miss that much. IMO, so long as the car's stable or feels agile enough, isn't a chore and can handle what I throw at it, I'm happy. Heck, I gave up on the idea of adding heated seats because it felt unnecessary this Winter. The seats absorb and hold heat very well as it stands, perhaps too well... We'll see this summer, haha.

The wheels and rack could be carried over if I get another car eventually and that's the plan. It's not a lost expense per say. I'll always need a Winter set so long as I live here, for instance, plus I can always sell them and the added initial expense will be recuperated in a way I couldn't recuperate it with steelies.

#12 ·
I don't see myself upgrading those parts until they literally start rotting away so I wouldn't know, really.

I'm keeping it pretty simple and functional.

I reduced my wheel size to 16"s for the added ride comfort, the generally (some wheels are heavy, y'know) lower unsprung weight and the lower tire costs (and wheel, duh!). I added HIDs because the headlights are rated mediocre otherwise. I added a roofrack because I don't want to ruin my interior and it sorta compensates for the fact that I didn't get a proper wagon. I'm not really concerned with performance. I had a 200HP car before I landed in this guy and while it was fun it's not something I miss that much. IMO, so long as the car's stable or feels agile enough, isn't a chore and can handle what I throw at it, I'm happy. Heck, I gave up on the idea of adding heated seats because it felt unnecessary this Winter. The seats absorb and hold heat very well as it stands, perhaps too well... We'll see this summer, haha.

The wheels and rack could be carried over if I get another car eventually and that's the plan. It's not a lost expense per say. I'll always need a Winter set so long as I live here, for instance, plus I can always sell them and the added initial expense will be recuperated in a way I couldn't recuperate it with steelies.
Aprime,

Could you tell me what kind of HIDs you got. I just installed LEDs and I am not to happy with them. I like the colour, matches the DRLs, but the brightness when driving is not impressive. I'd like to try HIDs, but I want to find something that someone already tested. The guy that I got LEDs from told me that I need canbus modules. It turned out that they wouldn't even work with canbus modules installed. As soon as I took them out lo/highs worked no problem. Your help will be appreciated.

#16 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an IM/Corolla IM. Since it was sold for 3 years in North America and they are not as common. Are most of the parts interchangeable with other Toyota models, should I be concerned about sourcing parts in the future if I plan to keep this for atleast 10 years. More so for general maintenance/repairs.

#17 ·
Great inquiry, a ton of parts in these cars are interchangeable, the oil filters and air filters for simplicity sake, but Toyota doesn't only make a certain amount of parts for a car, they'll be making parts as long as they're needed. The engine has been in Corollas for years so they won't be discontinuing parts there for a decade at the least. Also, the iM was sold as the Auris overseas for many more years, I'm actually pretty sure none were made in the US (correct me if I'm wrong), I know mine was made in Japan. I wouldn't be majorly concerned, but that is a wonderful question as cars with short runs would often warrant stockpiles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.