Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

Just wanted to upload some photos of my stereo install for people who are interested. Below is a list of the installed components:

-Stock Head Unit
-Audio Control DQ61 Factory Integration/Processor
-Hertz HSK 165 XL Components Fronts -running bridged 200w off amp
-Hertz Energy 165 CoAxials rears - running off deck power
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Hertz HX250 10 inch sub. Currently in ported wood box, will fiberglass a custom box this summer
-Focal BAM Acoustic Mat on interior surfaces and Dynamat on outer door skin
-Monster Power, Ground, fuses, and RCA Cables
-JL Audio Terminals

Before installed in car

Big 3 Upgrade

Head Unit Prep

More to come

Aaron

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hatch prep

Amp, Processor, and crossover placement under seats. They are all attached to the carpet with industrial velcro

More to come

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Current Sub

Have it installed in a wooden .75 cu ft ported box. Also testing a JL Audio 10 W3V3. Will eventually fiberglass in a 10 inch box on the passenger side hatch. Not sure yet which sub I will go with but leaning towards the Hertz.

Thanks

Aaron

·
Registered
274 Posts
How powerful is our stock unit? Does it have a weird EQ sound that drops the base after certain volume or any other sound changes? I just traded in 2016 Honda Accord because I tried to keep my factory unit and DQ-61 was absolutely terrible. Now since I got my iM I am debating: should I spend more money on another headunit or just keep stock Pioneer?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi All

Just wanted to upload some photos of my stereo install for people who are interested. Below is a list of the installed components:

-Stock Head Unit
-Audio Control DQ61 Factory Integration/Processor
-Hertz HSK 165 XL Components Fronts -running bridged 200w off amp
-Hertz Energy 165 CoAxials rears - running off deck power
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Hertz HX250 10 inch sub. Currently in ported wood box, will fiberglass a custom box this summer
-Focal BAM Acoustic Mat on interior surfaces and Dynamat on outer door skin
-Monster Power, Ground, fuses, and RCA Cables
-JL Audio Terminals

Aaron
Do you like your setup? Did you tune DQ-61 with a separate mic?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure the power of the stock head unit. 5 to 20 watts maybe? I can't hear the rear door speakers most of the time since my fronts are what I focused on. There are are basically fill for rear passengers.

I like the Dq61 so far. I just set it with the audio control app for bass and time adjustment. I used the Mobil tools app and iPhone mic to set the eq curve. I have the accubase adjusted pretty well as the stock head unit will roll the bass off as volume goes up. I can hear that point that the dq61 takes over, but it is a pretty decent transition.

This is my first processor so I wanted to start with a more basic one first.

Aaron

·
Registered
168 Posts
does the door handle gloss trim just pop off? i wanna remove it to do some stuff to it but i'm scared to pull interior panels from this car cz it's new lol.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not sure the power of the stock head unit. 5 to 20 watts maybe? I can't hear the rear door speakers most of the time since my fronts are what I focused on. There are are basically fill for rear passengers.

I like the Dq61 so far. I just set it with the audio control app for bass and time adjustment. I used the Mobil tools app and iPhone mic to set the eq curve. I have the accubase adjusted pretty well as the stock head unit will roll the bass off as volume goes up. I can hear that point that the dq61 takes over, but it is a pretty decent transition.

This is my first processor so I wanted to start with a more basic one first.

Aaron
Thank you. This means aftermarket unit is a must. From all the reviews, it looks like Pioneer NEX is the best choice, followed by Kenwood Excelon, 4 volt pre-amp is also a must have.

I think our audio system is very decent for an OEM setup, but since I have Morel Tempo ULTRA 6.5" components and 6.5" coaxials, I have to get them installed.

Anyone knows what part number would be our tweeter garnishes (plastic dashboard pieces)? I keep searching online and I can't find them.

As far as the sound processor, I made a mistake when I decided to go with DQ-61 when I had my Honda Accord. I thought something cheap and simple would be decent and I could keep my headunit, but it did not work. I learned it the hard way. I also figured out it's much better to spend money on a decent aftermarket unit that has sound time alignment built-in, rather than figure out tricks of DSP units.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awesome wright up Ill be doing mine with the kenwood dnx893s, audison voce components and a phoenix gold Ti21600.5 amp with a phoenix gold Ti2 12inch sub. I'm lowing mine this weekend then hoping to start system soon. I still haven't decided if im going to run my Audison Bit 1 yet in this car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you don't mind me asking what harness did you use to plug into the factory head unit?
Hey

I used the standard metra brand "Toyota 87 and up" harness. Miss was missing one wire that the factory harness has so just pulled a spare one from an old harness.

Thanks

Aaron

·
Registered
201 Posts
I ran new wire from the crossover so never tapped into the factory tweeter wire. Not 100 percent sure.

Aaron
OK thanks, I have a harness adapter coming so I hope it works.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts