Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In contrast with most modern cars, a lot of minor alterations to our cars' operational behavior have to be executed by the dealerships. Here is a list of these modifications, straight out of your owner's manual.

(#2 being checked indicates that this has to be done by the dealer)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks for posting this, hopefully it's not something the dealer will charge for it since it seems to be something simple to do and quick.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wonder why this is the case. Why not just put all this in the back of the infotainment system menu? I suppose most people won't even take the time to fiddle with these things, but there will be others who want to modify them and will spend a while trying to find where to do it only to find out the dealer has to do it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I wonder why this is the case. Why not just put all this in the back of the infotainment system menu? I suppose most people won't even take the time to fiddle with these things, but there will be others who want to modify them and will spend a while trying to find where to do it only to find out the dealer has to do it.
but are we sure this is totally off limits? Its possible that its burried in there somewhere...??

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would imagine that if you go to the selling dealer, they won't charge for this. But if you go to a dealership that didn't sell you the car, you will be charged whatever their diagnostic charge is. If possible, go back to the selling dealer, it will give you a better chance at discounts.

·
Registered
331 Posts
but are we sure this is totally off limits? Its possible that its burried in there somewhere...??
Not off limits... just annoying to do. I tried the procedures for the old xA today and it worked. My FOB now unlocks / locks all the doors at once rather than having to hit the button multiple times...

The following is from a post on Scionlife.com:

The xA Security with RKE is factory-set to unlock the driver's door when the UNLOCK button is pressed on the remote control, then unlock the remaining doors when the UNLOCK button is pressed again within 3 seconds. You may change the programming so all doors will unlock at once when the UNLOCK button is pressed by following the steps below:
1. Before you begin: Open the driver's door. Remove the key from the ignition switch

2. Start the programming Procedure (Complete all these steps within 40 seconds)
A. Insert the key into and remove it from the ignition switch 2 times
B. Close, then open the driver's door 2 times
C. Insert the key into and remove it from the ignition switch 1 time
D. Close, then open the driver's door 2 times.
E. Insert the key into the ignition and leave it in.
F. Close the driver's door
G. Turn the key from LOCK to ON 4 times (ending at LOCK)
H. Remove the key from the ignition switch.
I. (Program mode Confirmation; you did everything correctly) The tail and marker lights flash 4 times, the buzzer chirps 4 times, and the doors lock and unlock 4 times

3. Select the operating mode and complete the programming procedure
A. Press and release both LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time.
B. TO ENABLE ALL DOORS UNLOCK Press and release the UNLOCK button once for all doors unlock

OR

TO DISABLE FEATURE Press and release the LOCK button once for driver's door unlock only

C. The tail and marker lights flash 1time, the buzzer chirps 1 time, and the doors lock and unlock 1 time
Note: if the system lock the doors twice, start over.

E. Open the driver's door; programming is now complete

·
Registered
17 Posts
Will this work on the iM?

1. Before you begin: Open the driver's door. Remove the key from the ignition switch

2. Start the programming Procedure (Complete all these steps within 40 seconds)
A. Insert the key into and remove it from the ignition switch 2 times
B. Close, then open the driver's door 2 times
C. Insert the key into and remove it from the ignition switch 1 time
D. Close, then open the driver's door 2 times.
E. Insert the key into the ignition and leave it in.
F. Close the driver's door
G. Turn the key from LOCK to ON 4 times (ending at LOCK)
H. Remove the key from the ignition switch.
I. (Program mode Confirmation; you did everything correctly) The tail and marker lights flash 4 times, the buzzer chirps 4 times, and the doors lock and unlock 4 times

3. Select the operating mode and complete the programming procedure
A. Press and release both LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time.
B. TO ENABLE ALL DOORS UNLOCK Press and release the UNLOCK button once for all doors unlock

OR

TO DISABLE FEATURE Press and release the LOCK button once for driver's door unlock only

C. The tail and marker lights flash 1time, the buzzer chirps 1 time, and the doors lock and unlock 1 time
Note: if the system lock the doors twice, start over.

E. Open the driver's door; programming is now complete

·
Registered
432 Posts
IS that seriously what you have to do to fiddle around with these settings? That seems like a command sequence to perform a fatality. Why so annoying and complicated. I half expect it to say "turn around 5 times and say the alphabet backwards".

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yes this works as I have done this to my car and it worked.

I have owned a few cars now that you've had to do "The hokey pokey" to program the FOBs.... this is by far the craziest set of steps.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Now I want to try it just to do it, not even because I want to actually change something. Might make a fun video to post up for everyone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tried Nick's procedure a couple of times to no avail and just gave up feeling dejected. I took my iM to the dealer a few days later to install the rear bumper protector and had them change the unlock button to unlock all doors at the same time with one press. Man, that is so much better now! I think they should make that the default and make people have to go to the dealer to change it to two button presses.

What's kind of funny and sad at the same time is that the service writer didn't know that this could be done. What kind of training does Scion/Toyota give these people????

·
Registered
331 Posts
I tried Nick's procedure a couple of times to no avail and just gave up feeling dejected. I took my iM to the dealer a few days later to install the rear bumper protector and had them change the unlock button to unlock all doors at the same time with one press. Man, that is so much better now! I think they should make that the default and make people have to go to the dealer to change it to two button presses.

What's kind of funny and sad at the same time is that the service writer didn't know that this could be done. What kind of training does Scion/Toyota give these people????
I'm just curious... did they give you the instructions to do it yourself, or did it for you? Did they charge anything? I would like to get the speed at which the turn signals change increased on mine, but can't find instructions for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm just curious... did they give you the instructions to do it yourself, or did it for you? Did they charge anything? I would like to get the speed at which the turn signals change increased on mine, but can't find instructions for it.
Nick they didn't give me any instructions to DIY, made the change in the service bay, and didn't charge me anything.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Not much unfortunately. Most of the training is about what customers want/need to know and service bulletins coming out. Most customers don't care about a lot of that stuff until they hear it can be done. If you never tell them . . .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Usually, service advisers don't need to know about the vehicles that come in. It's us the back shop that'll know about functions like this and it's frustrating sometimes...

The key in/out, in/out, door open/close, open/close style is a bit dated now but still works^_^ now when we need to program a key or fob at the dealership, we just connect the TDT and push "program key" o_o; Same with other body functions. Connect ->Body ECU ->Utilities -> Customization ->play around ^_^

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Dealer did it through OBD. I'm not sure what Nick was on about with his trickery since it's not what they're told to do. Mind you, could be a Canadian spec thing.

There's a bunch more they can change (fan ramp up speed, tailgate behavior, etc.) that's not documented here.

Also note, my dealer charged 45 to do it (I should've probably haggled, the way they rated it was half their hourly rate yet it took 10 minutes). So I guess this dismisses the idea that your purchase source would do it for free.

I guess they're all guaranteed to do it for free if you ask prior to delivery, though.

Fucking dash rattle had to go away during the test drive only to come back when I took the car back. At least they're going to work with me if I can document it (some dealers insist on reproducing the issue, as you may know).

Tech said the dash is relatively easy to unhook, I might add.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I guess this dismisses the idea that your purchase source would do it for free.
My dealer said they'd do it for free ninety nine but definitely ymmv.
Nick's xA method was fun to try and made for a funny video but didn't work for me. If I'm not lazy I'll try it again for giggles if I don't go to the dealer or do it through the ODB first.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts