Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up,

I just bought a 2017 Toyota Corolla iM. I sold my 2013 Scion FR-S. The list of problems with those things is a mile long, and I had already had to replace the clutch at 88k miles. So, I wanted something more practical, and downgraded to the iM.

Suffice to say, I'm not thrilled about the handling. I don't really care about the power loss, but the handling was something I had really taken for granted with the FR-S. I am looking into lowering springs, or more specifically, a rear sway bar kit that will fit the 2017 iM. I talked to some dealerships, all of who say the TRD lowering springs don't necessarily exist. I've also found zero information on aftermarket parts that fit the '17 iM. Will parts for the '16 Scion iM fit the same? Not many parts out there for that either, and the sway bar and lowering springs that used to be available seem to be gone.

Do I have any hope of making my handling better or should I just give up now and wait til i can sell it and buy a new car? Any information on a rear sway bar kit or lowering springs that will work with my car would be appreciated. I am more interested in the sway bar for the benefit to cornering. I'm not sure if the lowering springs will have me scraping around, as the roads aren't great in my area (santa cruz mountains)

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
What's up,

I just bought a 2017 Toyota Corolla iM. I sold my 2013 Scion FR-S. The list of problems with those things is a mile long, and I had already had to replace the clutch at 88k miles. So, I wanted something more practical, and downgraded to the iM.

Suffice to say, I'm not thrilled about the handling. I don't really care about the power loss, but the handling was something I had really taken for granted with the FR-S. I am looking into lowering springs, or more specifically, a rear sway bar kit that will fit the 2017 iM. I talked to some dealerships, all of who say the TRD lowering springs don't necessarily exist. I've also found zero information on aftermarket parts that fit the '17 iM. Will parts for the '16 Scion iM fit the same? Not many parts out there for that either, and the sway bar and lowering springs that used to be available seem to be gone.

Do I have any hope of making my handling better or should I just give up now and wait til i can sell it and buy a new car? Any information on a rear sway bar kit or lowering springs that will work with my car would be appreciated. I am more interested in the sway bar for the benefit to cornering. I'm not sure if the lowering springs will have me scraping around, as the roads aren't great in my area (santa cruz mountains)

Thanks,

Joe
Welcome.

The iM starts out pretty decent in handling, and there are a few items ready to go.

I've done the front strut bar: Tanabe USA R&D Blog | Scion iM

And looking into a few of these: Products

I believe there is a sway bar set and several other members have lowered their rides.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome.

The iM starts out pretty decent in handling, and there are a few items ready to go.

I've done the front strut bar:

And looking into a few of these:

I believe there is a sway bar set and several other members have lowered their rides.

Thank you!

I really appreciate the links.

I'll most likely get the strut bar. Was there much of a noticeable difference from that?

I'll have to try and learn more about the sway bar set. I think that would do the trick for my perception of excess "body-roll" when cornering.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Thank you!

I really appreciate the links.

I'll most likely get the strut bar. Was there much of a noticeable difference from that?

I'll have to try and learn more about the sway bar set. I think that would do the trick for my perception of excess "body-roll" when cornering.
The strut bar was a nice tightening up of the front end. My next purchase is going to be the mid brace. If I feel I need more after that I will look into the sway bars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts