Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding the OEM bulbs to be pretty insufficient brightness wise, what would you guys recommend as a good replacement over stock? I'd love to go brighter but I think 9012 tend to already be some of the brightest if I recall, so I'm not sure just switching from the OEM would make a difference, maybe I'm wrong though? I also have thought about going HID but obviously pro's and con's with that too. What would you recommend?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm finding the OEM bulbs to be pretty insufficient brightness wise, what would you guys recommend as a good replacement over stock? I'd love to go brighter but I think 9012 tend to already be some of the brightest if I recall, so I'm not sure just switching from the OEM would make a difference, maybe I'm wrong though? I also have thought about going HID but obviously pro's and con's with that too. What would you recommend?
I bought these. They are plug and play and are great!

BPS Lighting G7 LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit - 9012 HIR2 50W Philips Lumileds 8000 Lumen 6000K 6500K - Adjustable - Cool White - Super Bright - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ANYJEOA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_KiUqkTTPWBhfq

·
Registered
274 Posts
I suggest you get a brighter set of Philips halogen bulbs. Dave had already posted many websites that state it is illegal in many states to mod your headlights. You will not get a proper light beam since our projectors are made for halogen bulbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9012CVB2-CrystalVision-Upgrade-Headlight/dp/B01I3OTXHA

But if you decide to go that route, proper retrofit should be performed - especially replacement of the projector. I would personally get Corolla OEM LED projectors and OEM LED bulbs. Sure thing it is way more expensive than cheap Chinese knock-offs from Amazon.

Reactions: stvotw

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I suggest you get a brighter set of Philips halogen bulbs. Dave had already posted many websites that state it is illegal in many states to mod your headlights. You will not get a proper light beam since our projectors are made for halogen bulbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9012CVB2-CrystalVision-Upgrade-Headlight/dp/B01I3OTXHA/

But if you decide to go that route, proper retrofit should be performed - especially replacement of the projector. I would personally get Corolla OEM LED projectors and OEM LED bulbs. Sure thing it is way more expensive than cheap Chinese knock-offs from Amazon.
Beat me to it. The cheap LED/HID kits cause all kinds of problems and are technically illegally.

I still highly recommend those: Philips Crystal Vision Ultra 9012 HIR2 55W Head Light Bulb Replace High Low Dual | eBay

·
Registered
33 Posts
Beat me to it. The cheap LED/HID kits cause all kinds of problems and are technically illegally.
What problems, exactly? I have read the threads here and virtually all seem happy with them and have had no real issues with them. The only problem that I have heard of was some radio interference, but that's easily solved by attaching a couple ferrite cores to the wires. I did this and have had zero issues so far.

Sorry, but I cannot recommend these. I tried them and they were worse than the stock bulbs, hence why I went with LEDs.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What problems, exactly? I have read the threads here and virtually all seem happy with them and have had no real issues with them. The only problem that I have heard of was some radio interference, but that's easily solved by attaching a couple ferrite cores to the wires. I did this and have had zero issues so far.

Sorry, but I cannot recommend these. I tried them and they were worse than the stock bulbs, hence why I went with LEDs.
The problem is that installing aftermarket LEDs into halogen projectors will create glare and may blind oncoming traffic. Our iMs at least have a projector beam, most older cars have reflector headlights. Aftermarket LEDs/HIDs installed into halogen stock unit do nothing, but create danger for oncoming traffic and make people angry, especially those in front of you. I literally stepped out of the car today and told one woman her aftermarket LEDs suck and blind people even during the day. Of course she said she does not care, but she will care when she gets a ticket. I do hope she gets one. She was driving a Chevy Sonic, it has stock halogen reflectors, the worst possible setup for LED/HID bulbs.

Proper way to install HID/LED bulbs is to retrofit your headlights. You have to replace your halogen projectors with HID/LED projectors. There are shops out there that do this, like Lightwerkz in New Jersey. It's not cheap, but you actually get factory-like properly tuned headlights.

http://www.lightwerkz.net/

One more thing. Anything above 5000K is rice by default and looks Chinese. I don't know the temperature color of our stock LED DRLs, but I do know all major factory HIDs are 4300K (Lexus, Acura, Infiniti). Stock LEDs could be a hint brighter (Lexus ES350 or Toyota Corolla), so probably 4500K-5000K. If I was getting a retrofit, I would've picked Acura projectors, especially Acura TSX/TL HIDs - they are amazing and I would've combined them with Philips 4300K HID bulbs, Denso or Matsushita or Mitsubishi factory HID ballasts.

This video shows the difference between projectors. Beam patterns are also clearly visible. Halogen projector creates a wide spray beam, while HID projector is concentrated and directed. When you replace your halogen bulb your stock halogen projectors will keep spraying super bright LED light on everyone around you. Not good.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

As someone who drives nightly 15 miles on a unlit section of freeway, they are more than adequate and quite a bit brighter than the stock bulb.

It is the cheap LED/HID kits that are the real problem. You can see them miles away. And technically any modification to your headlight is an equipment violation. A good friend of mine got a fix it citation for a set of HID's.

http://xtremerevolution.net/are-hid-kits-legal-or-safe/
https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
http://betterautomotivelighting.com/2013/04/20/are-led-headlights-legal/

Don't go blinding your fellow drivers and I hope you don't get busted

·
Registered
33 Posts
The problem is that installing aftermarket LEDs into halogen projectors will create glare and may blind oncoming traffic. Our iMs at least have a projector beam, most older cars have reflector headlights. Aftermarket LEDs/HIDs installed into halogen stock unit do nothing, but create danger for oncoming traffic and make people angry, especially those in front of you. I literally stepped out of the car today and told one woman her aftermarket LEDs suck and blind people even during the day. Of course she said she does not care, but she will care when she gets a ticket. I do hope she gets one. She was driving a Chevy Sonic, it has stock halogen reflectors, the worst possible setup for LED/HID bulbs.
Well as I said, I have used them on the back roads, the interstate and in town and not one person has flashed me at all. I think perhaps that not all kits are created equal. I did a test against a wall, and 99% of the light emitted is focused in a good, specific pattern, much like the 2014 Corolla's LEDs did.

As someone who drives nightly 15 miles on a unlit section of freeway, they are more than adequate and quite a bit brighter than the stock bulb.
Well, I am glad they work for you. They didn't work for me, however.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well as I said, I have used them on the back roads, the interstate and in town and not one person has flashed me at all. I think perhaps that not all kits are created equal. I did a test against a wall, and 99% of the light emitted is focused in a good, specific pattern, much like the 2014 Corolla's LEDs did.

Our iMs have halogen projectors, they are "better" than reflectors, since they project a beam rather than totally disperse it like reflectors do. Most people will not flash at you or won't say anything. Some people do not even know what are those "blue lights", so it is not necessarily an indication of a clean proper install. It has to be properly tested at least.

This video shows why installing aftermarket LEDs is bad when you have halogen reflectors. About 40% of the light goes to the top and onto drivers around you. This guy has a terrible accent :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NdARG_A214?t=3m4s

Here is a video from guys with excellent English:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I'm well aware of the whole LED kit etc. I guess I should have specified that I'd like to keep on the Halogen route for now, but I don't think there is a good solution for a brighter halogen bulb. At least that anybody mentioned...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.