Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
you think running those lights on the stock battery is okay? or are you going to upgrade the battery? sort of new to this stuff.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you think running those lights on the stock battery is okay? or are you going to upgrade the battery? sort of new to this stuff.
LED's require very little juice and I don't leave them on all the time.

My previous car I was running two amps, several interior lights, and a radar detector. I needed to upgrade the battery and alternator. I am running less stuff in this car and it seems fine.

I did add a plug in voltage meter, I hate not having a voltage gauge.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did add a plug in voltage meter, I hate not having a voltage gauge.
If you don't mind me asking, what volt meter do you have? Or did you diy it? I have a cheap 12v socket volt meter with 2 usb plugins that i bought from my local Fry's electronics. Kind of sucks since it reads off in the range of .3 to .5 volts randomly lol. Upside is i can charge my phone while reading ballpark figures haha.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If you don't mind me asking, what volt meter do you have? Or did you diy it? I have a cheap 12v socket volt meter with 2 usb plugins that i bought from my local Fry's electronics. Kind of sucks since it reads off in the range of .3 to .5 volts randomly lol. Upside is i can charge my phone while reading ballpark figures haha.

I would not use it as a diagnostic tool, but it lets me know a general level.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I would not use it as a diagnostic tool, but it lets me know a general level.
I believe that is the same one I'm currently using. :laugh: Yeah I love having it there, guess if I want a more accurate reading, I just have to wire one up directly to the battery.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Had a dealer test out my electrics. Apparently, I broke the lamp housing somehow when I pulled it out. We get the right voltage at the plug but not at the socket. 50 bucks down the drain to replace it, which I'll do, because I've got no lighting in the back right now. Serves me right.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had a dealer test out my electrics. Apparently, I broke the lamp housing somehow when I pulled it out. We get the right voltage at the plug but not at the socket. 50 bucks down the drain to replace it, which I'll do, because I've got no lighting in the back right now. Serves me right.
Oops

·
Registered
149 Posts
I still don't understand how I broke it to a point where it's not delivering the right amount of power. I want to think it's the dielectric tape since it's scuffed. The rest of the plug's alright so it makes no sense.

But I guess if it doesn't work when I get the replacement the story goes deeper. :p

·
Registered
352 Posts
I still don't understand how I broke it to a point where it's not delivering the right amount of power. I want to think it's the dielectric tape since it's scuffed. The rest of the plug's alright so it makes no sense.

But I guess if it doesn't work when I get the replacement the story goes deeper. :p
Do keep us updated !

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Sounds odd, but at least it is getting fixed

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, that wasn't it. They got the part and we swapped it out and nothing changed.

They did a more thorough diagnostic today and... guess what? I'm getting a new ECU (I think he meant BCM but that's what the SA said). Something's not right. It's being done under warranty but they're telling me to stick to stock lighting. I'm genuinely wondering what ****** it up in the first place. If that **** HID conversion is responsible or something... ugh

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, that wasn't it. They got the part and we swapped it out and nothing changed.

They did a more thorough diagnostic today and... guess what? I'm getting a new ECU. Something's not right. It's being done under warranty but they're telling me to stick to stock lighting. I'm genuinely wondering what ****** it up in the first place. If that **** HID conversion is responsible or something... ugh

Glad they are fixing it for ya

·
Registered
352 Posts

They did a more thorough diagnostic today and... guess what? I'm getting a new ECU (I think he meant BCM but that's what the SA said). Something's not right. It's being done under warranty but they're telling me to stick to stock lighting. I'm genuinely wondering what ****** it up in the first place. If that **** HID conversion is responsible or something... ugh
The SA usually doesn't know too much.. at least in my experiences. But that's real weird. I've never installed an HID or LED kit that ended up screwing all that crap up

·
Registered
149 Posts
Body controller got replaced earlier this week and everything worked alright, LED or no.

I got a run down of the circuitry inside and the only theory they have (spoke to the mechanic) is I could've shorted the connection when I installed the LED (from handing the bulb as I was pushing it in).

Basically be careful guys.

Car's making a cross-continent roadtrip in november.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.