Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have done this earlier, but hey, its not everyday you buy a brand new car so I forgot.

Drained the oil at 2.5k miles. But it was too late. It was this nasty manure color. I knew it was totally filthy because it kept foaming as it was coming out. First oil change on a new engine is always the dirtiest, and this hammered that point home.

Some people recommend first oil change at 500 niles, some at 1k miles. Whatever you do, do it before 2k miles lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I probably sound like jackass asking this, but what is the reasoning for having to get an oil change on a new car so early? and does it take synthetic?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Moss,
Not a dumb question you just don't know but that's how you learn by asking. On a new engine you have a break in period where all your internals are wearing from being new and this creates a small amount of metal in your oil. It's best to drain this early and get that out of your engine. Yes its synthetic but it doesn't matter what oil you have that wear is still in there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Moss,
Not a dumb question you just don't know but that's how you learn by asking. On a new engine you have a break in period where all your internals are wearing from being new and this creates a small amount of metal in your oil. It's best to drain this early and get that out of your engine. Yes its synthetic but it doesn't matter what oil you have that wear is still in there.
That's it exactly. Lubricants have come a long way, but those metal bits in the oil from break-in cause excess wear. Definitely a good idea to change it around the 1000 mile mark. Some people argue more some less. I would say anywhere in the 500-1500 mile window is good. I know someone who swears by changes at both 500 and 1500, but that's a little excessive in my opinion.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've seen people swear by changing the oil early to get the metal bits out and they seem to have their vehicles perform well for them.

I'm sure there are comprehensive guides on why you should or shouldn't go through with this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
First oil change at 500 miles
Dirty and black
Replaced it with Vavoline Syn Power 0-20

Second oil change at 3,000 miles
Dirty and brown
Replaced it with Royal Purple 0-20

When I say dirty and black I am just going off of a visual inspection which really does not tell you much except for color.

Next oil change at 10,000 miles at the dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
500 miles in

I should have done this earlier, but hey, its not everyday you buy a brand new car so I forgot.

Drained the oil at 2.5k miles. But it was too late. It was this nasty manure color. I knew it was totally filthy because it kept foaming as it was coming out. First oil change on a new engine is always the dirtiest, and this hammered that point home.

Some people recommend first oil change at 500 niles, some at 1k miles. Whatever you do, do it before 2k miles lol.
Just about to do my initial change. Is it fairly easy to get to? (can not find any info online yet)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'll change mine at 10k. We'll see how well the 2ZR holds up.
Same here. I even got a hold of Toyota Japan and was told that early oil change is no longer required like they used to. They even sent a letter to Toyota USA Torrance to guarantee the warranty to engine(like their suppose to) if anything happens to the engine.

Also, I don't want to give them an excuse if there is anything ever happens to the engine. Although not all but, some dealerships makes every excuse to avoid a warranty.

I followed my 2003 V6 Tiburon recommended oil change interval (same with first oil change) and engine was still running strong (225000 miles) when I traded it in. It still had the stock clutch in it too lol. The accessories are the ones that started failing that's why I decided it was time to go :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did my first at 750 miles. I'm at 2500 and the oil is just now dark enough to be able to see it on the dipstick. I plan to change every 5000 and I use mobil 1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts