Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased the "ebay cat-back" from DNA Motoring and installed it today (first day above freezing in two weeks). Following is a brief description of the simple process. (The hardest part was prying off the rubber hangar mounts)
*Removed the OEM exhaust cat-back. (14mm socket for the two bolts at front section to scuba tank.) REUSE the OEM bolts/springs and donut gasket on front flange.
First photo shows OEM and "ebay cat-back" for comparison. "ebay cat-back" hanger mounts are more "basic" than the OEM quality but do the job ok.
*Bolt front & rear sections of "ebay cat-back" together using smaller diameter flange gasket.
*Hang "ebay cat-back" on rubber hanger mounts starting from rear.
*Bolt up front flange using the OEM donut gasket and bolt/springs. (didn't use the inferior gasket and bolt/nuts supplied with aftermarket cat-back)
*I added ty-wraps to outer tip of each hanger mount rod as the aftermarket tip was much smaller than OEM and didn't want the hangers moving around on the rod. OEM hangers are a better design ... but the price was right on this ~ $200.
I also posted a short video on F a ceb o o k on the iM Enthusiasts page

** I also have the K&N drop in filter and removed the secondary charcoal filter from the airbox. I did a short test drive and can tell the car accelerates faster in the 3-5K range as it now has less restriction/can "breath" easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I recently purchased the "ebay cat-back" from DNA Motoring and installed it today (first day above freezing in two weeks). Following is a brief description of the simple process. (The hardest part was prying off the rubber hangar mounts)
*Removed the OEM exhaust cat-back. (14mm socket for the two bolts at front section to scuba tank.) REUSE the OEM bolts/springs and donut gasket on front flange.
First photo shows OEM and "ebay cat-back" for comparison. "ebay cat-back" hanger mounts are more "basic" than the OEM quality but do the job ok.
*Bolt front & rear sections of "ebay cat-back" together using smaller diameter flange gasket.
*Bolt up front flange using the OEM donut gasket and bolt/springs. (didn't use the inferior gasket and bolt/nuts supplied with aftermarket cat-back)
*I added ty-wraps to outer tip of each hanger mount rod as the aftermarket tip was much smaller than OEM and didn't want the hangers moving around on the rod. OEM hangers are a better design ... but the price was right on this ~ $200.

** I also have the K&N drop in filter and removed the secondary charcoal filter from the airbox. I did a short test drive and can tell the car accelerates faster in the 3-5K range as it now has less restriction/can "breath" easier.
Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts

Nice directions. Does it really sound like Infiniti G37 now?

·
Registered
447 Posts

Thanks for posting the pics and the side by side of the new and OEM. I've been wanting to do this mod with a SRI for my intake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts