Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice from TTAC...

So is the iM. While 0-60 mph happens in around 10 seconds in the iM (which, relatively speaking, is average for a hatchback) the engine never really felt rushed to go anywhere. There’s no huge pickup in power anywhere in its band — not at 4,000 rpm at full twist, not at the 6,100-rpm redline. Thus, it’s fair to say: Don’t worry about the manual; it doesn’t have guts over the CVT anyway.
Now thats assuming you go manual for performance. Anyone going to go stick regardless?

2016 Scion iM Review ? Toyota's Tweener Takes a Turn - The Truth About Cars

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cool! How did that process go? Did it take a deposit?

very smooth. I had my eyes on couple local Toyota dealership, and this one dealership call me and saying they have incoming shipment of the iM and iA.

go in the store, talk to the manager. ask for shipment confirmation (pages that they print out from their preorder system) clearly showing what cars and specs of them. and build date/ shipment date.

I only see few manuals in the first batch..and i love the blue color..only one in the shipment..place my order..they took $500 deposit from my CC, clarify with manger the deposit is refundable.

all paperwork take only 15mins. i walk in and out..it was fast and easy.

Now..i am just waiting for another 2-3 week my car will be arrived..as the shipment date show on the paper..08/20...but could be anytime sooner

·
Registered
411 Posts
very smooth. I had my eyes on couple local Toyota dealership, and this one dealership call me and saying they have incoming shipment of the iM and iA.

go in the store, talk to the manager. ask for shipment confirmation (pages that they print out from their preorder system) clearly showing what cars and specs of them. and build date/ shipment date.

I only see few manuals in the first batch..and i love the blue color..only one in the shipment..place my order..they took $500 deposit from my CC, clarify with manger the deposit is refundable.

all paperwork take only 15mins. i walk in and out..it was fast and easy.

Now..i am just waiting for another 2-3 week my car will be arrived..as the shipment date show on the paper..08/20...but could be anytime sooner
Great! Wish I would hear from more dealers in my area. One dealer was totally clueless on delivery when I visited.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great! Wish I would hear from more dealers in my area. One dealer was totally clueless on delivery when I visited.
yea..i was asking couple toyota dealership since begining of July..and loop them that my interest of the car...when toward to the end of the month..the salesman need quotes for their work...receive lots more emails from them more on the end of the month then the begining of the month.

i think it is good to make some email/call to the dealership better than walk in peron
..at least..save some time here and there for yourself.

·
Registered
411 Posts
yea..i was asking couple toyota dealership since begining of July..and loop them that my interest of the car...when toward to the end of the month..the salesman need quotes for their work...receive lots more emails from them more on the end of the month then the begining of the month.

i think it is good to make some email/call to the dealership better than walk in peron
..at least..save some time here and there for yourself.

I actually did my deposit over the phone. They sent a receipt by e-mail.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Knowing how much people love rowing through gears although the box they're using may not be that great, it's still motivation for going for the stick, adds to the experience more than a CVT or automatic can.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Other than the price, its just totally up to what you want as far as driving experience. Personally, I prefer automatic. I've just never really learnt manual, and don't really care to learn it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Knowing how much people love rowing through gears although the box they're using may not be that great, it's still motivation for going for the stick, adds to the experience more than a CVT or automatic can.
I have always driven sticks, but the wife is pushing for the auto in case she needs to drive the vehicle. the various rentals with automatics I have drive lately (esp Toyota) are very smooth and peppy. It will be a tough decision. Overall, I like what I am seeing with the IM.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm an automatic kinda guy, and at this point the automatic is faster anyway so I don't feel guilty about it at all.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Other than the price, its just totally up to what you want as far as driving experience. Personally, I prefer automatic. I've just never really learnt manual, and don't really care to learn it.
Too bad for you, you don't know what you're missing. I taught all 3 of my daughters to drive a manual and they all love it. They all 3 own a manual Toyota and think that an auto is just plain boring to drive. And they are right! :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have always driven sticks, but the wife is pushing for the auto in case she needs to drive the vehicle. the various rentals with automatics I have drive lately (esp Toyota) are very smooth and peppy. It will be a tough decision. Overall, I like what I am seeing with the IM.
That's why my wife has her Prius with a CVT and RAV4 with an auto. She doesn't need to drive my iM with a 6MT although she knows how. She leaves my cars alone. You just need to get your wife a car of her own!

I'm an automatic kinda guy, and at this point the automatic is faster anyway so I don't feel guilty about it at all.
Not even close. There are several different videos showing the manual is much quicker then the CVT. I've seen around 10 sec 0-60 for the CVT and 8.5 for the 6-speed manual. I bought the 6MT and it's a lot more fun to drive then the CVT. I test drove the CVT but it was a lot slower off the line than the 6MT.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
That's why my wife has her

Not even close. There are several different videos showing the manual is much quicker then the CVT. I've seen around 10 sec 0-60 for the CVT and 8.5 for the 6-speed manual. I bought the 6MT and it's a lot more fun to drive then the CVT. I test drove the CVT but it was a lot slower off the line than the 6MT.
Several videos show the Auto is actually quicker

·
Registered
26 Posts
Too bad for you, you don't know what you're missing. I taught all 3 of my daughters to drive a manual and they all love it. They all 3 own a manual Toyota and think that an auto is just plain boring to drive. And they are right! :D
XD first of all SuperchargedMR2 can I just say I love everything about what you've said in this thread, I bought my iM specifically because it was a manual, I would not have even considered it had it been CVT. My other car is an automatic until I swap it to a manual, (unfortunately it's a Subaru, so I have to swap the transmission, driveshaft, rear differential, ECU, pedal box, and brake hydraulics but that's another story) my wife and I argue over who gets to drive the iM, I used to own a 5 speed Integra that was slammed, and she drove it flawlessly. If you're worried about your wife needing to drive it, teach her how to drive it (it also functions as it's own anti theft). SAVE THE MANUALS!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
Several videos show the Auto is actually quicker
You need to do more research. There are videos all over You Tube that show reviews stating that the manual is quicker and even some side by side videos with both cars being driven by both drivers and the manual being much quicker then the CVT. I've driven both and it's very obvious from driving them too.

If you see a video that shows the CVT is quicker then the driver of the manual doesn't know how to drive a manual. I've never seen a video showing the CVT is quicker in the hundreds that I've watched. The same is true with the 11th Gen Corolla and I've seen a 6-speed manual beat a CVT head to head in person every time.

I think you have been sold a bill of goods that isn't even close to true!

·
Registered
422 Posts
XD first of all SuperchargedMR2 can I just say I love everything about what you've said in this thread, I bought my iM specifically because it was a manual, I would not have even considered it had it been CVT. My other car is an automatic until I swap it to a manual, (unfortunately it's a Subaru, so I have to swap the transmission, driveshaft, rear differential, ECU, pedal box, and brake hydraulics but that's another story) my wife and I argue over who gets to drive the iM, I used to own a 5 speed Integra that was slammed, and she drove it flawlessly. If you're worried about your wife needing to drive it, teach her how to drive it (it also functions as it's own anti theft). SAVE THE MANUALS!
I'm not worried about my wife driving my cars. We own 7 cars so she doesn't do it because she says if something were happen while she was driving it she would feel so bad. She knows how much I work on my cars and love my 1989 Supercharged MR2, 2009 Corolla S Turbo and 2017 Corolla iM.

She knows how to drive a manual and has since she started driving. She drives the manual Scion xB and also drives her Prius, RAV4 and our Previa if needed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts