Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Scion iM last month. The car rode smooth as butter until I hit 1200miles.

Once I hit 1200 miles, I started experiencing a vibrating steering wheel that is driving me insane. I've brought my car back to the dealership twice and the techs tell me they cannot replicate the vibration and sound. The vibration is most noticeable at 1200rpms while in gear.

After trying to isolate the issue, I've noticed the vibrations lessen when in Sport or manual mode; although a small vibration is still present in the steering wheel and in the floor.

Have any of you experienced any issues with the CVT transmission?

I've had the wheels balanced and Road Force balancing but the vibration is still present.

Your thoughts?

- Jason

·
Registered
24 Posts
I noticed I had the same issue when I was waiting at the red light. Seems like somewhere from the front caused the vibration. But once in motion, it is not noticeable.

Mileage at 2400 km (roughly 1491 miles)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Joe I have been trying to isolate the cause of the vibration because it is driving my nuts. For the first 1000miles or so, the car rode like glass. Now, when the engine gets to 1200rpm (mainly Eco mode--most of my driving is around town--30-40mpg = 1200ish rpms).

Interestingly, when it Sport mode and manual I don't experience the vibration. I don't have an unusual vibration in drive at idle.

There is something significant and telling about the vibration at 1200rpms. This is what I'm trying to figure out. Any insight is welcome. I'm thinking either there is an issue with the transmission or an engine mount.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@S-Factor I've been to the Toyota dealership twice to address the vibration. Of course, the tech tells me "I don't hear or feel the vibration." We did take it for a drive together. He decided to road force balance all four tires. The issue is still present.

Interestingly, during the test ride, the tech decided to mention about the transmission needing time to learn my behavior. He randomly blurted this out during our time in the car. I never mentioned anything about the transmission. I only mentioned about a possibility of a motor mount being defective.

My hunch is he was being defensive about a possible issue regarding the transmission.

I bought the car brand new and I drive the same every day--conservatively. One day, the vibration just appeared.

It's very frustrating, to say the least.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You really should not be driving at 1200 rpm you will destroy the engine. In D mode it should not go below 2000.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@igs The Scion iM is programmed to drive at 1200rpm in Eco mode around 30-40mph by default. It's a result of the engineering and gear ratio for the transmission/engine (improved fuel economy).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good luck trying to get it fixed. Future me hopes they find the issue.
Thanks. Me too. Ha. I've been a loyal Scion owner since 2004 (XA). My Xa was struck by ligthening in August forcing me to have to get another car. I loved my XA. It was bulletproof. I had a 140,000 miles and it ran like day one.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Not sure I can be much help as I have a 6 speed, BUT I am curious, and can try. Does the vibration feel like it is something mechanical, or a mount / bushing somewhere? Is it primarily from a stop to a start, or is the vibration present during driving as well? When a mechanic has gone for a ride along why do you think the two of you were unable to recreate the issue for them to diagnose?

·
Registered
124 Posts
@igs The Scion iM is programmed to drive at 1200rpm in Eco mode around 30-40mph by default. It's a result of the engineering and gear ratio for the transmission/engine (improved fuel economy).
That's when you're coasting and the torque converter is disengaged. As soon as you hit the gas the torque converter will flash stall to 2000 rpm. And when the torque converter is engaged it won't drop below 2000 rpm. That means the vibration is coming from the engine not the CVT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure I can be much help as I have a 6 speed, BUT I am curious, and can try. Does the vibration feel like it is something mechanical, or a mount / bushing somewhere? Is it primarily from a stop to a start, or is the vibration present during driving as well? When a mechanic has gone for a ride along why do you think the two of you were unable to recreate the issue for them to diagnose?
Thank you for your effort to help. The issue is related to engine speed = 1200rpm, whether the car is in park or in gear.

I cannot answer the question as to why the service tech cannot replicate the sound/vibration, but I know how the characteristic of the new car rode when I purchased it and the change in the way it's riding now.

I have a couple of friends who are ASE mechanics and we're investigating the possibilities of what the issue is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I can definitely say that I can't get the car to drive at 1200 rpm with my foot on the gas. Even in manual mode. It'll downshift roughly at that engine speed in manual mode. And otherwise it'll rev up above 2k or higher when I give it gas. Just my experience. Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's when you're coasting and the torque converter is disengaged. As soon as you hit the gas the torque converter will flash stall to 2000 rpm. And when the torque converter is engaged it won't drop below 2000 rpm. That means the vibration is coming from the engine not the CVT.
Do you have any ideas about what may cause engine vibrations specifically at 1200ish rpms? My goal is to narrow down the possibilities so I can go to the dealer and present it to them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Have you gone to the dealer yet? I think the same thing happened in the older Scion iQ model. Something about CVT's computer trying hit a good rpm ratio for low speeds and it sometimes isn't able to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you gone to the dealer yet? I think the same thing happened in the older Scion iQ model. Something about CVT's computer trying hit a good rpm ratio for low speeds and it sometimes isn't able to.
I spent a couple of hours at the dealership today. No resolution. I requested the service manager handle my case. We rode in another iM to compare to mine. The other iM we drove had similar vibrations, but not as pronounced as mine. The service manager couldn't replicate the same level or intensity of vibrations or agree with my assertions. This process is so frustrating.

I know unequivocally there is an issue with my car. How do I know? When I bought my car I loved driving it until a few hundred miles ago when the characteristics of the car changed. Now I dread driving the car as my hand tingles from vibration fatigue for 10 minutes after getting out of the car. I want to hand in the keys and get a different car. I don't even get to enjoy the "new car" period.

I'm going to go to a different dealer and hope I can find a solution.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thought CVT Trannys dont have a Torque Converter?...
I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts