Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, ive never owned a cvt car before and i decided to go with the cvt version of this car because i live in los angeles and drive in heavy traffic on the daily. Ive noticed that when i drive my iM and i press the gas the rpm just goes up and up unless i let go of the gas pedal and the gears never shift as they would usually shift at around 3000 rpm with a regular automatic car. That doesnt happen when i put the car into sports mode. The gear shifts are rather frequent and normal and it feels much more responsive. Was wondering if this is normal or should I get it checked out by the dealer?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Everything is normal. Unless you don't care about gas milage you should leave the transmission in Drive. The sport mode keeps the engine revving higher and never drops the RPM down where it should be during normal driving. Using the manual shift mode has the same effect by not letting the CVT picking the most efficient RPM. How do I know this, I like to experiment when I get a new Vehicle.

Here is a little side note I own both a 2016 CVT Scion iM and a 2016 6 Speed manual Scion iM. At 70 MPH the CVT turns 2000RPM and the 6 Speed turns 3000RPM. On the same 200 mile trip the CVT got 41.1 MPG and the 6 Speed got 38.4 MPG now these 2 trips were in different weather conditions and at different time of the month. These trips are in one direction, west to east dropping from an elevation of 7000 feet to 5200 feet.

CAD-Man

1 - 2 of 2 Posts