Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iM should be sold as a Corolla Hatch. They would at least get to capitalise on name recognition and pour those sales into the corolla bucket as it competes for top sales title.

This way we can get past the silly conversations about mods, sportiness and youthful engagement and go straight to the money. Lets stop pretending iM is anything more than a proletarian Corolla, heck, even Mazda has the balls to sell the hatchback 3 as a Mazda 3.

So lets cut the nonsense this is a sensible wagon for those abhorring mini-vans, stamping Scion badges on it will only injure its mainstream uptake...

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree with you. But Toyota is saying its a Scion. I think that they knew they had to do something for Scion, or else it would just be sitting there. A brand with no new products almost ever. Something had to happen. This is what they came up with.

·
Registered
661 Posts
i think last i checked they wanted to build the scion brand into something greater than it is currently.

they need higher volume products, something aside from the FR-S, which is where the iM fits in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Toyota is perfectly capable of selling the Auris/Corolla Hatch under the Toyota umbrella world over, EXCEPT for NA. Scion has been and will continue to be for doddering, sexless product.

Do you know why Scion was born originally? Becuase Toyota was so volume focused on the Camcord middle aged demo and had completely abhorred sportiness and pulse that they needed an outlet, even a pseudo one, for those not ready for 2.4 children and median income of $50K.

Scion was born 2002, right after the Supra died along with Toyota's heart. Fast forward and Akio wants to put the pulse back into Toyota, give Toyota the fun and sporty products to engage a new generation. That essentially makes Scion superfluous.

You know how I identify with Scion, multicoloured shoe boxes with lego changeable parts (from their early commercials) you know how I identify with Toyota, reliability and quality product. Sure thats not sexy but you know what the auto industry isn't about being sexy, its about moving product and Scion has proven itself incapable of moving product...

·
Registered
432 Posts
It feels like Toyota hasn't really made an effort to save the brand though. It has been languishing. I could see the brand being so much more than it is, I just question whether Toyota wants to spend the resources to have that happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts