Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot or has been addressed already.
For the last few months I've been fighting with a bad mildew smell from my vents. I have tried a few over the counter solutions to fix the issue but now I'm thinking the culprit is my condenser coils.

Do you think I'm over reacting?

I did take a peek at it when I lifted my hood and it does have a lot of bugs on it but that's probably normal.

If this is a route I need to take to no longer gag when running AC in my car does anyone have any advice? The most I've done on a car is my old TC was to give it the first oil change, 12 years ago.

·
Registered
196 Posts
One solution is to run blower with outside air vent open. Let the dry air flow through it. Thats what I did on mine. Or you can buy a spray treatment and spray it throught the outside air vents while blower is in full blast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello everyone and thank you for your replies.
So far this is what I've done.

Talked to the dealership who told me to make sure I don't use the air recycle mode for a bit before my drive ends. *trying to remember to switch it*
Used a scent bomb thing from walmart that had me use air recycle with windows closed for 10+ minutes then let it air out with my windows down. *Lasted about a month*
Replaced my cabin air filter with a new one from Ace *This had the biggest impact. Smell went away for 2-3 months*
Purchased spray meant for cleaning the AC vents. Directions told me to spray it into the air intake and let it run for ten minutes with windows down and fresh air mode one. *lasted two days*

As of last night I followed a youtube video to try it again. Haven't tested the results.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've seen variations of this used:

Could see where the foam might do a little better job. Looks like one of my local parts stores carries it, at least online.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts