Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody replaced their cabin air filter yet? Did you use OEM or aftermarket? I normally go with OEM parts, but just wanted to see what others used. Also, there are several OEM part numbers with supersessions. Is 87139-50100 the same dimensions as 87139-YZZ08? Maybe a Toyota parts guy can chime in on this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
not sure on the part number but I would stick with an O.E. filter. I've seen some cars come in with aftermarket filters and one restricted the airflow so much the customer complained about the ac not blowing air.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can't speak for the genuine OEM part sold in the States but the ones sold in Australia for the Corolla hatch are nothing special - just the white "concertina" style of lightweight paper element.

I honestly do not think these are good enough and I will be getting an aftermarket one next time. I had the original factory installed OEM cabin filter in my Corolla Hatch from April 2014 (brand new car) to April this year (2016) but the car in that time had only travelled 10,000 kms and even then in relatively clean air, often at night when dust is less prevalent (so by that I mean no visible dirt or dust or fallout from things like bush fires, smoke etc in the atmosphere).

Nevertheless, after those 10,000 kms the filter was a very dark shade of grey (almost black) instead of the white of the brand new replacement and the filter had a very bad odour to it (infact when I bought the replacement filter I thought it was going to be dark grey and was shocked when it was white!). And that odour had permeated through the car interior and would be obvious every time I turned the air on. And before you ask, no I do not smoke, I am the only driver of the car, it never has passengers in it and yes, I am a very hygienic person 0:)

As soon as I installed the new filter, the odour completely went away from the car interior (like new again) but I have to reiterate that the filter I removed was disgusting and looked like something I would have expected see if a chain smoker had spent every day in it for two years. I guess all I can say is that I really underestimated how much garbage is in the air we breathe and that the filter did a really good job (but not for very long).

Given the air purifiers I have here at home have carbonated filters then I agree that this is the answer. The OEM ones just seem to be the plain paper type as I mentioned and even for a clean non-smoker they would seem to be good for only 5,000 kms before their performance is compromised (this assumes you have the air blowing and I always do even if it is just the lowest setting). That being the case, they are not cost-efficient as the average driver will be up for a couple of them each year or suffer compromised air inside the car.

I've looked into a few aftermarket brands and one is every expensive (see first link below) and I would have to think about it. There is another (Ryco) that uses a carbon filter and is more like the OEM one in appearance and that seems like it might be a more reasonable compromise.

But all I can say is that after 10,000 km and two years, the OEM filter was completely "shot" and if you want to maintain a new-smelling interior it would likely have to be replaced every 6 to 12 months.

Cabin Air Filters | Toyota Corolla Cabin Air Filter 2002-2016

Ryco Microshield? | Air Filters, Oil Filters and Fuel Filters | Ryco Filters | Automotive Filters Australia

(I am pretty certain both of the above will fit the Scion IM).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts