Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I'm having a problem with my iPhone and ios 10. I know this OS is fairly new so bugs are bound to pop up but has anyone noticed how audio over bluetooth is on a 5 to 10 second delay. I'll hear the audio out of my phone for a few seconds then it connects to the car. I'm sure this is because of the update and wanted to see if anyone else has this problem and if they have a fix.

So far I've reset network settings on my phone and have updated to 10.2 but no luck so far.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yep. Experiencing this.

Your solutions aren't going to do anything about it though. It's just the way the iPhone is handling the bluetooth.

If anything though the good part is it will actually wake the last audio playback app, which I had trouble with before.

Switching to wired connectivity was also a bitch in the past so I wonder if that's changed (it wouldn't know how to communicate with the headunit if you were paired both on BT and connected on the car's USB).

·
Registered
168 Posts
yea that's a phone issue, my xperia z1s changes songs with the steering wheel controls as quickly as if i were to change the song on the phone itself with headphones plugged in, it's completely instant unless i'm running waze, which slows my phone down considerably and the songs take 2 seconds to change. try closing other apps maybe.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Lame

Yep. Experiencing this.

Your solutions aren't going to do anything about it though. It's just the way the iPhone is handling the bluetooth.

If anything though the good part is it will actually wake the last audio playback app, which I had trouble with before.

Switching to wired connectivity was also a bitch in the past so I wonder if that's changed (it wouldn't know how to communicate with the headunit if you were paired both on BT and connected on the car's USB).
I've had no issues with my Samsung Note 5 in the iM once connected. Every once in a while, (maybe one out of ten times), when getting in the car it won't automatically pair and I have to manually pair it. Once connected though, it is smooth.

The Bluetooth interface is pretty good on this headunit, but Android Auto/Car Play is the best. Get with it Toyota.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've had no issues with my Samsung Note 5 in the iM once connected. Every once in a while, (maybe one out of ten times), when getting in the car it won't automatically pair and I have to manually pair it. Once connected though, it is smooth.

The Bluetooth interface is pretty good on this headunit, but Android Auto/Car Play is the best. Get with it Toyota.
if it doesn't pair, i realized that holding the volume button down until it restarts makes it connect right away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everyone

Thanks for the input. After months of trying stuff I have discovered that the stock head unit is not compatible with ios 10. I have spent over an our talking to Apple and they don't have any solutions, and we tried a lot, other then go to the dealership and have them help me. I did notice that when I took a cross country trip with my brother his android phone had the ability to get text messages to the radio so I was a bit pissed when I saw that. Guessing I need to either swap out my head unit for one with Apple carplay / Android auto if I want better functionally or continue to use the USB cable to work around this problem.

TL;DR
ios 10 won't work on radio
thinking of swapping radio for better one

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hey everyone

Thanks for the input. After months of trying stuff I have discovered that the stock head unit is not compatible with ios 10. I have spent over an our talking to Apple and they don't have any solutions, and we tried a lot, other then go to the dealership and have them help me. I did notice that when I took a cross country trip with my brother his android phone had the ability to get text messages to the radio so I was a bit pissed when I saw that. Guessing I need to either swap out my head unit for one with Apple carplay / Android auto if I want better functionally or continue to use the USB cable to work around this problem.

TL;DR
ios 10 won't work on radio
thinking of swapping radio for better one
Get an Android device 😜

Seriously though, bummer for ya Apple owners.

·
Registered
331 Posts
When the car first came out before iOS 10 my phone paired through Bluetooth flawlessly. After iOS 10 same results as OP.

I no longer use Bluetooth, Hardwire the phone only and everything is instantaneous. Hard wiring also alleviated the annoyance of the generic Gracenote pictures (some seem to be over a decade old). The headunit draws album art straight from my phone when it is hard wired in.

I am anxious to see someone with a 2017 Toyota iM pull their headunit to see if it is the same Pioneer model as ours. If it is we may be lucky and get an update to the headunit eventually. If they upgraded the stereo model with the rebrand we may be in eternal SOL mode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts